Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SeaJay

Hydroponic and Grow Tents

30 posts in this topic

On average, how much yield/bud do you get from a single plant, and on average how much do you smoke per week? The reason I ask is that I keep thinking I should grow six plants, but I might be able to get by growing four. Trouble is I have no idea how much yield a plant can deliver so I don't know how much I'll need before the next harvest. 

It comes down to how much your grow light can produce not how much the plant can yield, people can grow one massive plant with a kilo hanging of it or lots of small plants with a half oz on each plant. 

You'd expect somewhere around a gram of weed per watt of light if conditions are good and plants are kept heathy throughout.

so a 400w hps can yield around 400 grams a 600w hps around 600 grams and so on. It might take you a few grows to start hitting these numbers but it’s something to aim for. 

2 people like this

32 minutes ago, kronic420 said:

It comes down to how much your grow light can produce not how much the plant can yield, people can grow one massive plant with a kilo hanging of it or lots of small plants with a half oz on each plant. 

You'd expect somewhere around a gram of weed per watt of light if conditions are good and plants are kept heathy throughout.

so a 400w hps can yield around 400 grams a 600w hps around 600 grams and so on. It might take you a few grows to start hitting these numbers but it’s something to aim for. 

Certainly something to work toward

Thank you Kronic

1 person likes this

True @kronic420 lights are the key factor, but size of tent is also worth a mention. If your tents a certain size, there's only so much you can grow.

I have a 1.4m wide and deep tent which is 2m high. That gives me height for lighting etc.... a decent sized plant is 70 - 130cm high plus a pot... you need height.

Width and depth is where you can play around.

in my 1.4m x 1.4m space, I can comfortably grow 3-4 good sized plants. Some might squeeze 6 into that space, others less.

I get an average of 25-30 ounces per crop in my tent. But then I tend to go for heavy yielding strains.

You need to work out how much you smoke per day/week/month, then work out how much you smoke in 3 months (cos that's how long it takes to grow some more!) and work from that figure. 

2 people like this

@teehee I agree tent size definitely comes into it, I pull between 30-40 oz from a 1.2 x 1.2 by 1.8 tall loft tent under a 1000w hps in a scrog, sometimes I do 9 plants with a lot less veg time last grow I done 3 plants with a longer veg time.

I’m trying to stick to just 4 plants at a time in my space now though as trying to keep plant numbers down and keep a few mother plants. 

1 person likes this

nice hauls Bro!

1 person likes this

Ideally, I only need room for two pots but do you think I will be able to get four pots in a 1.2m x 1.2m grow tent? Failing that, three pots?

I'll need to take into consideration the res and chiller (perhaps). 

Tents are better than having to build a grow room. Its easy to take down and store away if needs be. Taking down a built in grow room in a hurry is a nightmare.

I'd start off growing in soil because its more forgiving and harder to mess up if you grow in a brand soil and use the brand nutes also.

Once you get the hang of growing from seed to bud, you can use the clones and just keep growing until you become familiar with each stage of the plants life.

Its not worth jumping in at the deep end, investing in expensive systems when you can just get 4-6 big pots, saucers and decent soil and nutes for under £100.

I'd go for a decent tent though. I have the DR series, but its an old one and do not know if the new ones are as well made. You got 3-4 top brands to choose from.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, MyDisplayName2000 said:

Tents are better than having to build a grow room. Its easy to take down and store away if needs be. Taking down a built in grow room in a hurry is a nightmare.

I'd start off growing in soil because its more forgiving and harder to mess up if you grow in a brand soil and use the brand nutes also.

Once you get the hang of growing from seed to bud, you can use the clones and just keep growing until you become familiar with each stage of the plants life.

Its not worth jumping in at the deep end, investing in expensive systems when you can just get 4-6 big pots, saucers and decent soil and nutes for under £100.

I'd go for a decent tent though. I have the DR series, but its an old one and do not know if the new ones are as well made. You got 3-4 top brands to choose from.

Thank you for the advice

I have thought about going with soil, and it would be cheaper, but I'm pretty much sold on the rdwc, to be honest. I think a lot of it is to do with the building of the system; it looks really interesting. I realise I might be letting myself in for a world of hurt, but you only live once and all that. 

Edited by SeaJay
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, SeaJay said:

Thank you for the advice

I have thought about going with soil, and it would be cheaper, but I'm pretty much sold on the rdwc, to be honest. I think a lot of it is to do with the building of the system; it looks really interesting. I realise I might be letting myself in for a world of hurt, but you only live once and all that. 

True, we only live once, and if perchance a fridge falls out of a commercial jet onto your head in a few months, why not go for the more reliable and EASY method of soil? That way, before your head is flattened, you could well be smoking a joint of your soil grown bud at that very moment.

Seriously though, first time grow, as long as you get a decent known soil plus its own set of nutrients, its highly likely your first grow will be a success. The road to growers hell is paved with old hydro systems, tanks, pumps, expensive shit gathering dust. Once you learn the basics and get a decent stash of that soil grown bud, you can maybe experiment with one hydro pot. I done that by buying the small NFT system way back. Worked well but I just prefer the taste of organic bud and hash.

Tried NFT, flood and drain, clay pebbles, rockwool in pots with drippers and rockwool cut up into cubes and hand watered. When its going well hydro can perhaps put out bigger yields. For me its all down to taste. Hydro can be harsh, makes you cough if its not flushed. Its fiddly and takes a lot of learning.

A lot of older growers have gone through hydro phases, its natural once you grow in soil to want to try your hand at some point. However, for starting off, stick to the tried and tested soil grows.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, MyDisplayName2000 said:

True, we only live once, and if perchance a fridge falls out of a commercial jet onto your head in a few months, why not go for the more reliable and EASY method of soil? That way, before your head is flattened, you could well be smoking a joint of your soil grown bud at that very moment.

Seriously though, first time grow, as long as you get a decent known soil plus its own set of nutrients, its highly likely your first grow will be a success. The road to growers hell is paved with old hydro systems, tanks, pumps, expensive shit gathering dust. Once you learn the basics and get a decent stash of that soil grown bud, you can maybe experiment with one hydro pot. I done that by buying the small NFT system way back. Worked well but I just prefer the taste of organic bud and hash.

Tried NFT, flood and drain, clay pebbles, rockwool in pots with drippers and rockwool cut up into cubes and hand watered. When its going well hydro can perhaps put out bigger yields. For me its all down to taste. Hydro can be harsh, makes you cough if its not flushed. Its fiddly and takes a lot of learning.

A lot of older growers have gone through hydro phases, its natural once you grow in soil to want to try your hand at some point. However, for starting off, stick to the tried and tested soil grows.

Well, soil is more forgiving. I think you're right. I'll be starting off with soil. I know I'll be wanting to try hydro in the future but for now - soil. Be interesting to compare tastes too when I try out hydro. 

Thank you for the advice. 

2 people like this

I think its the best way to get a few crops under your belt. Hydro is too unforgiving with mistakes and just learning to grow cannabis is a learning curve in itself.

With UK420 you can easily read up on a few successful grow diaries in soil. You'll know what to expect and at what stages you repot and when to give more nutrients.

Its pretty easy with soil. The nutrient charts show what to feed and when. As long as you have good ventilation and keep a careful eye on the temperature and humidity, you will be the proud owner of a nice stash of bud. Once you become self sufficient, all the money you might have wasted on buying dodgy smoke can be diverted to maybe splashing out on some small hydro system.

Good luck, glad you've chosen the easy route.

2 people like this

Yup, I've decided to go with soil first of all; seem right somehow. I can mess around with Hydro later. 

Could someone please point me in the direction of a grow chart of sorts that gives guidelines on what to feed when? I've had a quick look but didn't find much

1 person likes this

Good man! You made the right decision.

Start by looking at @blackpoolbouncers grows.

1 person likes this

Cheers @teehee 

@SeaJayCareful if your gonna follow my feed schedule, it is quite aggressive but it is to match the plants needs, dont go giving 6ml of bloom to them just cos thats what I was giving, they only get that if they ask for it. 

Keep an eye out on your tips and you will be fine, its all covered in my diary anywhoo

Good luck

2 people like this