Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tete

Chickens

25 posts in this topic

Hi,anybody on here keep chickens?

A friend of mine works in a care home and a few of the residents have been incubating some eggs which have now hatched. The thing is, by the sounds of it, they haven't fully thought this through and are now stuck with 5 chicks!

I'm thinking of taking them on and I am looking for all the advice I can find.

Any help would be highly appreciated :yep:

Posted (edited)

First things first, you need dungarees and a hat, perhaps a pitchfork so you can stand with your chicken under your arm. Thats chicken rearing basics, the rest falls into place

free_range_chicken_and_farmer_photo_via_

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
10 people like this

Do they have a garden? If so, give it a good send off because 5 chickens will destroy it in days :)

They will eat anything green and trample the earth to a muddy mess in no time. They will need a hutch (off the ground to stop Reynard) and plenty of food. Plenty of info online.

Bio

3 people like this

I had chickens when I lived in the country, make sure you either buy a proper coop and run or fox proof it x10 if you build your own. Maybe if you live in a town and your gardens enclosed no need to be so careful. 

If you live in the countryside you’ll come out 1 morning to a bloodbath lol 

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Maybe try this?

IMG_3530.JPG

Edited by corky1968
1 person likes this

Dungarees?  Can you still buy them?

Im not one for hats but I'm sure I've got an old KFC bucket laying around that I could use??

Yes they will have a garden that they can trash.I wasn't aware of how destructive they could be and most info I've read doesn't mention that.

I will be making a coop and I'm on the outskirts of town, so fox proofing I will definitely look into.

If the Mrs had her way they would definitely be indoors buddy!

1 person likes this

We have rescued battery hens. The rescue place we got them from absolutely hate schools and care homes incubating eggs because they are always having the cocks dumped on their doorstep when they start being noisy as fuck. Males are very difficult to house because of noise regulations. 

Keeping chickens is cool, they shit a lot and can destroy your garden but it's hard to eat shop bought eggs when you've got used to the deliciousness of your own hens eggs, it's your destroyed garden that gives the eggs their tasty flavour. 

5 people like this

If you build your own design in so it’s easy to move, the grass grows back really lush if you move the coop every month or so.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I have a few, they’re really easy to keep. 

We have a chicken hut but they don’t sleep there unless it’s really bad weather, they just go in there to eat and lay eggs. 

Heres 2 of mine, I took this pic yesterday when they were chillin in the sun: a Cheshire Blue which lays blue eggs, and a white star which lays white eggs. 

large.A0C8EF3E-22F8-4B3C-96D8-7DF847FCBCF4.jpeg

We’ve also got a white paint Silkie cockerel, a French Maran (lays dark chocolate brown eggs) and a Lohmann Brown hybrid from commercial stock - but she doesn’t lay so much any more. 

If you got any questions fire away mate :)

Edited by PureSmkr
7 people like this

large.IMG_20180317_123422.jpgThey love rotten apples.

8 people like this

My advice is to put Apple cider vinegar in their water. Volcanic rock dust, powdered kelp meal, dolomite lime and diatomaceous earth added to their food. They need a source of grit and also a dust bath, I throw the DE around where they bathe. 

They must have sunlight and lots of greens to eat. Don't overdo the cruciforous veg though.

The worst problem I've had to deal with is leg mites, but it's easy to cure. No vaccines or antibiotics have ever been considered, you don't need them if you keep it tidy.

Their shit, bedding and feathers are a composters best friend. Buy a decent book on rearing poultry before you get going.

3 people like this

30 minutes ago, Sidi Hidi said:

...leg mites...

Although it’s not authorised for chickens I use Harkers for scaly leg, kills the mites fast & the leg recovers. Saying that - it’s not authorised for plants either but sure gets rid of spidermite lol 

I just clean the legs with soapy water and an old tooth brush. Rub in neem oil and coconut oil till the problem clears. There's a reason why ivermectin isn't authorized for chickens, do you still eat the eggs after you apply it?

If they've got a clean roost and plenty of DE to bathe in then the mites will rarely become a problem.

Their scales are made from the same stuff as our hair and fingernails. They need to eat lots of greens to make the keratin for their feathers and scales. If they don't get fresh herbs then their scales won't be as strong as they could be.

1 person likes this

@Sidi Hidi If I treat a chicken then I won’t use the eggs for 30 days, although this year only my cockerel has been affected. The reason he got it was because he roosts outside, where it’s fairly common.  

They range freely round here and get all the goodies they need, but I do let them roost outside if they want to & luckily I’ve only lost 1 to the fox over many years. 

Cant beat proper farm eggs!

1 person likes this

Still got to keep chickens in round here as quite a few here, dam avian  flue .Got a mix of Buff Orpington’s ,Sussex and Rohde island reds..like others say only thing with hatching is cocks.. as for hatching in schools some do it right and some just dump them at rescue centres :wallbash:  when we do it we take the stock back into ours..

1 person likes this