Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Magicmunchietree

Glass jars V brown paper bags

26 posts in this topic

Hi All

I appreciate there is a thread right at the top called rough guide to harvesting and curing. My focus for this topic is entirely for curing. 

Now I took on growing and no longer have to rely on other people to acquire my smoke (Aaaah, nice!), I am looking more into saving some bud aside each grow for a long cure, obviously not all my crop as once dry I want to sample, then get straight into using it for smoke, oil, hash etc. But I want to be able to select myself some primo nugs and cure them to the point I salivate at the thought of the perfect end product. 

I have cured in glass jars before with regular burping and I must say that works, but after regularly watching Greenhouse seeds Youtube grow sessions they always mention the same phrase at the end of each grow, store in paper bags, and leave in controlled room at 8 - 10 degrees for 3 - 5 month for the best tasting smoke. 

Does anybody else use paper bags for curing, and has anybody ever gone that long for curing? What are the advantages of glass compared to paper, and vise versa etc. 

Thanks for reading. 

I think the important bit is the controlled temp at 8 to 10 degrees rather than the bag.

I don't ever get to 3 months cure always run out before but it does get better the longer you leave  it 

glass and bovida packets is the thing most people seem to use with great success for long term storage 

4 people like this

I put mine in shoe boxes, similar to brown bags i spose

3 people like this

I use glass after a long dry, purely because of security/smell

3 people like this

I don't like the brown bag idea for months. It will just continue to pull moisture from the buds and make them way to dry IMO...

Into bags for final part of drying process for a few days and into glass long term  for me...

14 people like this

All good info, I hang dry stems inside large boxes with lots of air holes poked in, then into another box for the last few days of drying before glass. I will simply try both methods next time with a small amount in paper and a larger amount in glass, as I know thats tried and tested. 

In the hoary days of yore, I used brown paper bags to pull moisture out faster, from over damp weed that I scored on the black market at premium price, but not since I started growing myself.

I now only extract concentrates, but when I was still smoking I typically pulled off the fan leaves and hung for 5 to 7 days, or until the small stems snapped, and then glass jared with subsequent burps.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

After always using glass kilner jars to cure and store my bud I found all my weed ended up tasting the same and took on the smell from inside the jars .

I tried cleaning with rubbing alcohol and all diff ways but the smell of 1000 buds was still in there .

Now I use food grade plastic tubs and just Chuck and buy more (not good for the environment) when the smell starts to become all empowering .

Edited by Rufus Brown
E2A Honestly never noticed any diff in quality of bud etc since in plastic tubs and definitely no plastic smell or taste if using food Grade imo
1 person likes this

I hang for 10-14 days whole and then after trimming I placed the buds into brown paper bags for between 4 - 5 days before finally moving onto glass jars. The brown paper bag stage just finishes them off nicely and gives a nice consistency of moisture across all the buds, I like to be able to snap a bud in half and be able to stick it back together. My whole process of drying IS the curing process too, I could place the bud into any kind of container after the brown bags I just like glass.

6 people like this

greenhouse seeds use brown bags because of the humidity in holland being above average due to its low lying nature ..i have the same issues down by the coast ..in an old house the humidity can regularily go over 70 ..my buds tend to be dried faster than normal but then regain moisture slowly ..like curing in reverse almost .

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I also use brown paper bags.

I've been saving them up :)

I bet someone out there could come up with the ideal RH at various stages for optimal curing.

It's fear of mould that makes us dry quicker rather than more slowly.

And all these folks who can't grow fast enough that they have never enjoyed weed that's been curing in jars for more than a few months,

I grew some Mandala seeds 10 years ago that produced buds so sticky I couldn't smoke it for several years ...

I'm currently eking out my 5 year old weed with 10 year old.

It's actually past it's sell-by date potency-wise, but very smooth :)

Edited by cultivateur
3 people like this

I always dry for a few weeks, I chop all the fan leaf and non resiny leaf off then hang in a warm, 78F min dark room. I dry in the tent basically. I always leave the extraction on and an oscillating fan. I turn the intake off and just leave the tent door slightly open. If the weather won't give me 78 degrees I will put a small electric heater on. If the heat goes higher, its not really an issue.

Plants are dry as a bone 10-14 days later. They are bone dry but the bud is still 'springy'. Press one between your fingers and it does not fall to dust. You really can over-dry. Although you can bring life back to such buds I think they lose something in the process. So, be careful to not dry too fast.

I put on a pair of gloves and take the excess leaf off by hand, its dry by then so comes off fairly easy. It also creates less smell than manicuring the plants wet and is a lot easier. The plants may cure better when you leave leaf on during the drying process.

Only when every last branch snaps and breaks do I consider it ready to be bagged up. I just use the 'smelly bags' which fit a few oz in each with ease. I'd put those into a plastic container and store.

I've left dried bud that way for almost a year with no problems. Its an airtight container with a tight fitting lid.

I should add that the plastic bags I use are washed and aired for a few weeks before use. Gasses come off new plastic. I can remember when growtents came out with some giving off gases that killed plants. Either way, my bud retains its taste and texture right up until the day that the last few remain.

I do also store in a famous brand Coffee Jar. Dowe Egbert. These are almost designed for the home grower to store his or her buds in. I bet if someone put a cannabis leaf design on these jars they would sell for a few quid. Trouble is, the Mrs is not that happy I've collected about 15 of the medium size ones and have a couple of the big ones.

Its nice to have the stash in the coffee jars, but a pain to stash them. Putting your finished 'work' into some decent smelly bags, separating possible different strains, in your aired out washed and dried bags, does not leave the bud tasting any different than the jar. Thing is with jars, they are airtight, its easy to perhaps spoil undried bud that way.

With my smelly bags in a plastic container (50L) I can stash that in the garden or just have it sitting in the living room. It gets opened everyday.

2 people like this

I cure mine in a beer brewing bin, turn it upside down in 1 giant weed lump every week or 2, like @Rufus Brown it’s so ingrained with different weeds it makes it all taste similar, but I’m stuck in my ways lol maybe I’ll buy a new brew bin 1 day.

3 people like this

I hang my plants whole and leave most of the leaves on for protection.

Even when dry enough for the jars I don't manicure my buds and I keep them on the sticks.

I'm expecting my biggest harvest ever over the next months and am trying to avoid cycling to Ikea for more 3 litre jars, so I'm breaking out my sativa (spaghetti) jars :oldtoker:

3 people like this

I take off fan and non sugar leaf. and hang my plants whole for around 7-10 days, then brown bag em for another 4-7, I try to dry as slowly as possible 18-21C with intake/outake on min, then into glass jars. I've found using ISO and a bristly toilet brush (unused lol) works a treat at removing the old smell from the jars ;)

2 people like this