Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sarahnya

Light For New Seedlings

23 posts in this topic

Is it possible to use just a normal daylight bulb on brand new seedlings?  I was hoping I could use it for the first few days and then use my hps set to 250w.

Posted (edited)

large.starterlamps3b.jpgYes no problem though you might want more than one depending on how many seeds you sow.

Edited by cultivateur
2 people like this

How close can you get the CFL's to the seedlings? I'm about to start soon with CFL (40w) on a couple of babies (autos) then move them outside. Also, I've read that you can stick autos on 24/7 before moving them out. Any experience of this?

Cheers.

You can get a cfl within a few inches of a seedling - too far back and they will stretch and get very spindly. As @cultivateur said, better to use a few bulbs if you have a few seedlings - but one bulb will cover two if need be.

You can run any seed lights on 24/7, but many advise a short rest - 20 on, 4 off seems quite popular. I've never grown outside so I can't say what's best to do to prep them for that.

Good luck!

On 13/03/2018 at 0:36 PM, srfr said:

How close can you get the CFL's to the seedlings? I'm about to start soon with CFL (40w) on a couple of babies (autos) then move them outside. Also, I've read that you can stick autos on 24/7 before moving them out. Any experience of this?

Cheers.

t5-grow-light-60cm-4-tube__78867.jpg

Im rocking one of this bad boys ! Dosnt give of any heat bulb side !

I think I used to use the width of my thumb for CFLs and the span of my hand for a 250 watt HPS.

I find non-diffused LEDs more problematic and probably had them a bit far from my seedlings this grow - perhaps I should have used a diffuser of some sort.

Posted (edited)

I like T8 over cfl for seedlings. Always kept an inch from the top and they thrive in Rockwood starters. 

Edited by Redeyezman

On 3/17/2018 at 0:19 PM, cultivateur said:

I think I used to use the width of my thumb for CFLs and the span of my hand for a 250 watt HPS.

I find non-diffused LEDs more problematic and probably had them a bit far from my seedlings this grow - perhaps I should have used a diffuser of some sort.

I’ve read 2-4 inches. I guess I’ll just play it by ear. I don’t want to burn the babies or have them stretch. 

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, srfr said:

I’ve read 2-4 inches. I guess I’ll just play it by ear. I don’t want to burn the babies or have them stretch. 

It's having the seedlings too far from the light that makes them stretch !

My thumb is about 1.5 to 2 inches wide.

Make sure you have a decent breeze blowing on them.

Those propped-up seedlings under the 250 watt HPS in the photo above are stretched because I started them too far from a T12 fluorescent :-

That said, if you check out the rest of the tiki mix grow, you'll see they bucked up pretty soon :)

post-14131-1150286193.jpg

Edited by cultivateur
1 person likes this

I'm using CFL's for various reasons but I can see how T8 Fluorescent tubes would be ideal as they run so cool. Maybe next time.

And I do realise that stretching is from the plants reaching for the light but I'm just nervous about putting the CFL too close and burning. I'll stick with ol' fat thumbs 2 inch advice! :naughty:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well I couldn't afford to buy more lighting so I thought I'd make a start. 

I soaked the seeds overnight and put in Root riots, 1 came up after 2 days and the other 2 came up the day after. 

I put them under a mini sun bulb for 2 days but they seem a bit stretchy and I can't get the light closer.  I've now put them into the tent and set the HPS to 250.

Hoping this goes ok.  How does one attach photos here? 

Edited by Sarahnya

How far should they be from 250w HPS? 

On 21/03/2018 at 2:48 PM, srfr said:

I'm using CFL's for various reasons but I can see how T8 Fluorescent tubes would be ideal as they run so cool. Maybe next time.

And I do realise that stretching is from the plants reaching for the light but I'm just nervous about putting the CFL too close and burning. I'll stick with ol' fat thumbs 2 inch advice! :naughty:

I made a mistake earlier - it was T8s that made my seedlings stretch, I imagine T5s would be about as intense as small CFLs.

I reckon that sort of diffused intensity is about optimal for seedlings. I'm finding non-diffused low power LEDs to be more challenging to get used to.

I so wish I had photos from my vertical T8 grow - I'm nostalgic for the smoke I got from that - though it was also a stunning pheno I was growing back then.

Just now, Sarahnya said:

How far should they be from 250w HPS? 

I reckon about 9 inches for seedlings - but make sure you have a fan blowing.

Posted (edited)

I'm much more relaxed about starting garden ornamentals.

I raise a lot of things like wallflowers under 4000K LED strips spread over 3 times the area than I used for my current grow and because they are in longer parallel strips, they consume less power - with a larger proportion of it going to heat.

It's always a bit nail-bitey when you've paid £10 for a seed and are on a tight schedule ...

Edited by cultivateur