Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ratdog

Veggie sausages

Just did the desperate walk to the supermarket to get a few items and fancied sausages, but because the butchers was shut and I can`t stand the shite that passes for supermarket sausages so bought some veggie sausages (cauldron) and I have to say they have come a long way since the last time I tried them, even the dog was convinced, snaffling down the sausage like normal. 

I think I will continue to eat these of similar instead of meat ones for a while. Will try out the other products like the mince too.

I want to cut down on meat and this may well be the start. 

6 people like this

Ive tried veggie sausages and i really enjoyed them too, i was very surprised with them & they had me convinced :yep:

But i like my meat!!! 

2 people like this

When I last looked they were far more fattening than real bangers, if that's an issue? Would they make a good toad?

Darn.

I may now have to risk my bones as well as my waistline going up the road to buy some Cauldron sausages  :P

3 people like this

There used to be a product, maybe still is, called sosmix - sounds gross, but it was lovely - the burger version wasn't so good...

You're right, veggie products have come along a LONG way since I was veg - man! soymince was/is just the worst!! The cauldron stuff is good though and the mrs and I used to use a lot of quorn as a chicken sub, the chunks gave me terrible wind though! :blushing::ermm:

Just back from a stroll to the shops myself - tesco seem not to be getting deliveries and have actually started rationing the bread :rofl:

Our local lidl has long cues waiting for the fresh baked rolls because there is no bread at all and the rest of the shop is emptying out fast... Oddly, Aldi is very well stocked!

Hope your keeping warm! :v:

1 minute ago, chillumpuffer said:

When I last looked they were far more fattening than real bangers, if that's an issue? Would they make a good toad?

Lowest calorie count in veg sausages is 60kcal per sausage - typical is under 140kcal - meat version, avg 300kcal per sausage...

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Slugums said:

There used to be a product, maybe still is, called sosmix - sounds gross, but it was lovely - the burger version wasn't so good...

You're right, veggie products have come along a LONG way since I was veg - man! soymince was/is just the worst!! The cauldron stuff is good though and the mrs and I used to use a lot of quorn as a chicken sub, the chunks gave me terrible wind though! :blushing::ermm:

Just back from a stroll to the shops myself - tesco seem not to be getting deliveries and have actually started rationing the bread :rofl:

Our local lidl has long cues waiting for the fresh baked rolls because there is no bread at all and the rest of the shop is emptying out fast... Oddly, Aldi is very well stocked!

Hope your keeping warm! :v:

Lowest calorie count in veg sausages is 60kcal per sausage - typical is under 140kcal - meat version, avg 300kcal per sausage...

As you say veggie food has come along way and it is a long time since I checked . When I was a veggie at the end of the 70's it was TVP. Fucking disgusting stuff that even marmite wouldn't make tasty. It was a joy to discover the brown lentil though.

Just made a granary loaf for the weekend so no queues here. 

1 person likes this

I always buy veggie sausages over supermarket sausages, they're cheaper, taste nicer and (in comparison with cheapo 'meat' sausages) hardly any fat. And if I'm making a chilli, nowadays I either make it just with a load of different beans and no meat or I add some quorn mince towards the end to bulk it up (quorn mince only needs about 15 minutes cooking, just to heat up really, and I usually cook my chilli for hours to get the proper depth of flavour, and if you add the mince too early it tends to go a bit spongy, so I don't add it until the end). I generally only eat meat once or twice a week now, cos it's so bloody expensive (cos I don't buy cheapo intensively farmed supermarket meat). Don't really need it, many other protein sources nowadays, for me meat is an occasional treat :)

5 people like this

The Cauldron ones are one of the best as are the classic Linda McCartney's, who also does a 1/4 veggie Mozzarella burger that are the absolute dogs danglies.  

2 people like this

Only problem I have with the Linda McCartney ones is, while they are great hot, they are not very nice once they've gone cold. Eat them while they're hot.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

When I was a veggie at the end of the 70's it was TVP. Fucking disgusting stuff that even marmite wouldn't make tasty.

OMFG!! TVP mince and chunks!! :bad: They are still around and are just as fucking disgusting now as then!! Back then anywhere that sold 'health' food smelled kinda like a pet shop, though sometimes more offensive on the nose! :rofl:

1 person likes this

@ratdog

I don't mind veggie sausages, we have a few vegetarians in our house, so we tend to have them in the freezer. Linda McCartney ones aren't bad either, or the Quorn ones. I like to wrap them in bacon and cook them in oven.

OK, I made the last bit up.

3 people like this

7 minutes ago, Comrade Stoker said:

we have a few vegetarians in our house, so we tend to have them in the freezer

I knew trying to cut out meat would draw unwanted attention

1 person likes this

Keeping vegetarians in the freezer is a bit harsh.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Slugums said:

OMFG!! TVP mince and chunks!! :bad: They are still around and are just as fucking disgusting now as then!! Back then anywhere that sold 'health' food smelled kinda like a pet shop, though sometimes more offensive on the nose! :rofl:

Don't forget the bonus moth protein in the open sacks of stale muesli :puke:

1 person likes this