Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MC2

Good traditional seeds for outdoor growing?

25 posts in this topic

Hi.

For the first time since I was a lad I am in a position to grow grass out doors. I have a green house and a secluded field with top quality soil. I intend to germinate the seeds in the airing cupboard around mid March and pot them for greenhouse when robust enough and then, probably a month or so later, plant them out in the field.

I have some seeds, a few from some 'Nepalese Temple Balls' and some from some (rather weak) African Bush. And I am on the look out for some others. I do have some quite distinct requirements though......   :-)

I am after old skool grass and definitely not the modern skunk type stuff. The grass I like makes me laugh and music sound sublime. The best grass I ever had was at a place called Largo Atitlan in Guatemala in the late 80s. Bought from a bar on the edge of the lake run by some old Californian acid heads. It was superb. It made you laugh so much your ribs hurt. At night we'd listen to the other travellers coming back to their digs... all of them with uncontrollable giggles. This is what I want to grow.  :-)

Can anyone provide any pointers as to what seeds I might be best buying and, if at all possible where to get them from (yeah I know...)? I do have access to the dark web.

If climate is a factor in the choice I think I can safely can say I am located in the south of England.

Thanks. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Edited by MC2

I think you'll be lucky to find anything even close that will finish in our climate, but, good luck :)

1 person likes this

Well thanks. I know the laughing bit might be a bit optimistic but my friends and I grew some lovely strong grass in our gardens using seeds from some strong African Bush (and possibly Durban Poison). I'd settle for that. :-)

1 person likes this

Some of the subscription seeds are suited for outdoor, look for ones from @eelhelmet (not sure thats spelt correctly) he has a good reputation. Look for the updated seed list in announcements. 

or, real seed company sell landrace seeds. They used to have a forum on here.

good luck with your quest! :yinyang:

Edited by Openairbud
tried to put link for subbies but failed!
3 people like this

there are some very good seedbanks... some have members on here .......  im sure if you look on their websites  they will say how big they grow,,, also  reviews saying about the grow,  taste  etc .. in or outdoors  etc etc ....  well worth  a look mate ...

Edited by vortex
2 people like this

Look no further,..:nope::yep: 

2 people like this

In order to get something for our climate to finish and grow well enough in it has to be some kind of selectively bred strain mate (I think). Durban poison might be kind of closest to what you're after but I'd be looking at others tbh.

Edited by Conspiranought

Have a look at Gorilla Haze from real gorilla seeds. Lovely uppy sativa smoke and bred for the UK outdoors..

2 people like this

Thanks very much for the help. This is a new world to me. I've never bought seeds before. When younger we simply planted the seeds that came with the grass we bought (usually Jamaican or African). In a quarter (7 grms) you could easily get 50 seeds. We'd let them grow and then try to whip out the males before they pollinated the females (always a bit touch and go). As well as the buds we also smoked the leaves.

So, 6 seeds for £25 comes as a bit of a shock. Do most people manage to get 6 plants from 6 seeds?

I'm also interested in the varieties. There's one at RGS that's billed as 'Old School Classic' which sounded good to me... but it's partially derived from White Widow which is not at all what I'd refer to as 'old school' and as far as I am concerned is still basically 'skunk' (http://grow-marijuana.com/strain-reviews/white-widow-skunk). As far as I can see (not always very far) all the others are skunk variations too.

I will also be growing as many plants as I can germinate from some (not so strong) African bush and some Thai sticks. Sadly I have very few Thai Stick seeds (20 maybe) and they're so old I don't hold out much hope for many of them germinating. I think what I am really after is seeds from a traditional (outside-grown) grass. I'll check out Landrace seeds, as this sounds a bit more like it:

"Landrace cannabis seeds. Pure cannabis strains (also called landraces or purebreds) have developed in its natural environment and has never been crossed with any other strain but inbred through many, many generations."

I'll also look around this site as suggested to see if I can find any more traditional seeds that stand a chance of finishing on my patch of land.

Again, thanks.

1 person likes this

@MC2

RGS is £25 for 6 and get 6 free, 12 seeds for £25, that's a bargain , look at peoples grows on here from last season,  loads of great results.

nothings free these days so just over £2 a seeds a good deal.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Jack010 said:

@MC2

RGS is £25 for 6 and get 6 free, 12 seeds for £25, that's a bargain , look at peoples grows on here from last season,  loads of great results.

nothings free these days so just over £2 a seeds a good deal.

Yup, having done a fair bit of research in the last couple of hours I can see you are right. There are prices of over £30 for one seed out there. Bleeding amazing.

I'm beginning to settle for Durban Poison. High indica content (which I like for relaxation and music), fairly traditional and shortish growing time so... as I as have a top notch place to grow the stuff (lots of sun, no wind and the soil can't be bettered) given an OK summer there's a reasonable chance I could get it to finish. Fingers crossed.

Now I've just got to see if I can find some reasonably priced seeds. Sadly RGS does not sell them and many places are sold out (isn't it a bit early in the season for that)? Still, I'll continue to look around and read up here.

I don't believe in differentiating cannabis like that personally. I know some don't like it too strong but if you avoid anything that has any so called 'skunk' genes in it then you won't find much. Everything is skunk now, apparently. 

The seeds seem cheap as chips after grown a few times ime.  

Edited by Conspiranought
1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, MC2 said:

Durban Poison. High indica content

Or high sativa content... depending on which site you are reading.... this is getting hard.

1 person likes this

Durban is probably the nearest you can get for our climate. Texada Timewarp is one to look for. Bush Brothers do a timewarp x cambodian x freezeland cross but they don't have the best rep, someone on here grew a few of their strains out and they didn't work although I reckon the timewarp cambodian has a good chance. Flash seeds do some super auto's such as Panama and Thai, these will take 4 months or so from seed to finish, never grown them myself but have a solid rep. RGS seeds are all banker strains and would I obviously say get at least one pack. The giggly laughter buzz of yesteryear may be hard to find though, I rarely get that these days from any weed, euphoria and uplift yes, giggles no

3 people like this

in fact, I have to say Forest dream from Dutch passion is pretty smiley and high, I was very impressed with the high and I love old school sativas.

1 person likes this