Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

vince noir rock n roll star

new technology thread

174 posts in this topic
11 hours ago, MicroDoser said:

Environment sensing should be something that can just get folded into the mix as it has airtemp and humidity sensors as default. I see no reason that a single box cannot sense and regulate the air as well as your water except greed by the manufacturer. I have been working on this for about 18 months so far and spent many thousands of pounds. I am looking forward to finishing it. Version 1.0 anyway.

I get what you're saying, but don't underestimate controlling the environment. In terms of coding and troubleshooting at least it will be a lot of work, especially if you're looking to make it a commercial product. I wish you the best of luck man :)

5 hours ago, Fry said:

I get what you're saying, but don't underestimate controlling the environment. In terms of coding and troubleshooting at least it will be a lot of work, especially if you're looking to make it a commercial product. I wish you the best of luck man :)

Thank you for the support ;)

Coding for environment will be no more work than making sure the learning PID controller is good. It just needs telling which of it's outputs affect which sensors and it learns the rest itself, having it learn about and control five information streams to keep them within the boundaries set by the user is no more work than three. Maybe adding a few more buttons to allow the user adequate control over it. I have been coding it for a while now, it used to have many bugs like every software does when it is being written, now it only has a very few and they are listed on my tracker to be dealt with.

As it does not have it's dosing decisions hard coded it will be more flexible so environment can use the same code and it will also hopefully cope better with edge cases like the one I have right now. I have run out of PH+ so I have to fill that container up, if the system also knew that irrigation would raise PH and the user allowed it (nothing happens without the user saying it should of course) would enter a `safe mode`, warn the user that the container needed refiling and use irrigation to regulate the PH instead of PH+ if that runs out. Obviously this would be an emergency reaction to ensure your plant's root zone does not go out of the set ranges until you can get to it as it would use a lot more nutrients keeping the solution at the right TDS level.

If it the user gave it control over fan speed, it would automatically adjust the fan speed (possibly by using a relay to switch between full speed and a variac controlled speed) to keep the air temperature and humidity within desired ranges, again using the same code which learns about how much change happens with a set amount of input. Being a system which does not care what it is controlling lets me design it in a way that it can control anything it can sense with any outputs it can control.

On my test bed in my workshop, I keep one litre of water within the tolerances you would want for your 100 litre tank. I can do anything I like to it, add nutrients, change the PH dramatically, change the water for pure water, change the dosing amounts to be more suited to a thousand litre tank and within half an hour it is back within the ranges I set, dosing the right amounts to not go out of range. To have that ability though a way of adding fresh water and a way of draining is required. I pump out solution to a drain and have a float valve topping up with fresh water so the doser can reduce TDS.

So, I would just use the same code to control the air and humidity as I do for the tank, set what you want it to be, set the range of variation allowed, tell it what sensor reading each output can affect, then let it figure out what actions will keep the system within those ranges by itself.

I am thinking the user should be able to give sensors priorities, so they can tell the machine that for them controlling humidity takes priority over temperature or vice versa so the system would know whether to continue venting to reduce temperature or stop as the humidity had reached the desired value. I will look into having `red lines` that always require action, for example if temperature was over a set value the user could preset the device to ignore the humidity and reduce it.

and theres the final piece the interface to control ..awesome ..we are soooo fucked its not even funny anymore .lol 

bit bloody odd this ...it wasnt more than a week ago i was mentioning that this device had been around for years yet never gets mentioned ..it could seriously save so many lives and is dirt cheap too ..yet no fucker knew about it ..they will now 

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180305-the-miraculous-straw-that-lets-you-drink-dirty-water?ocid=twfut

4 people like this

and the piece de resistance ...are you seeing the future yet ..ai ,robots thought control ,remote control ..question is will it be westworld meets logans run or will it be bladerunner meets farscape?

1 person likes this

how about a nice new human suit for those robots with ai built in ..conspiracy meh ..

http://discovermagazine.com/2000/may/featfuture

"
A thrum, low and insistent, emanated from the room next to engineer Greg Swift's office at Los Alamos National Laboratory in the late evening of May 3, 1998. "It was very weird," he recalls. "Those guys had never made any noise before." Swift hurried next door and found postdoc Scott Backhaus in a state of disbelief. Backhaus's experimental sound-powered engine, wrapped in heater tape and suspended from a framework of steel pipes, had suddenly fired up on its own.

"I was heating it up to test expansion and contraction," Backhaus says. "I didn't expect it to start up at such a low temperature." He was both surprised and relieved: "My major reaction was, "Thank God, it works.' "

"Backhaus's Thermoacoustic Stirling Hybrid Engine, which he affectionately refers to as TASHE, performs the same basic job as an ordinary car engine or gas-fired turbine: It converts heat into motion. But the similarity ends there. TASHE operates entirely on pressure waves, using high-intensity sound to do the work of steel. As a result, it has no moving parts, can be constructed from cheap, basic materials, and yet it is just as efficient as a typical modern internal combustion engine. Ultimately, sound engines could take dozens of forms, from big ones that liquefy plumes of natural gas to little ones laboring in the cellar, that would provide supplemental home electricity. "What sound allows us to do is build invisible machinery. It's the next level of mechanical engineering," says Tim Lucas, president and CEO of Macrosonix Corp., a research and development company in Richmond, Virginia. "

This isnt exactly a new idea but it is to me!!! this is continued in the link.

3 people like this

a sound powered machine ..i got a detention at school for suggesting sound as a wave could be used ..but you have to power the sound source ..i called the teacher a dick hence detention ..grammar schools closed mindedness is real .