Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

skorpio777

how to get my seeds to open

44 posts in this topic

i bought 10x white widow and 2 x critical +  ( non auto )   from dinafem seeds. 

im a newbie here and i mean an absolute newbie !  

please someone describe the easy step by step quide to get my seeds to open / sprout / transfer to big pots... ( leave out any abbreviations and grow speak please as i say i am not clued in with the whole thing yet and still looking up ,reading learning )

im growing the 10 white widow in a wilma hydro drip system .

i want to grow the 2 x critical plus in coco coir.

thanks in  advance for any help

I put the seed in a glass of water. After 24 hours it will have absorbed water and dropped to the bottom. I then put it in a folded kitchen paper towel and keep this damp. 24-48 hours later it will have sprouted a root. I put the seed, root down, in a rockwool cube (little hole to slot it into) or soil and watch your seedling grow. I use a heatmat for all of this and put it on a windowsill after it has sprouted- it does not need light to sprout the root, but then it does to promote the shoot growth. 

Edited by Owderb
NO Trading
2 people like this

I do the soaking, but then plant directly into tiny pots of compost that have been pre-soaked and warmed up to between 20 and 25 degrees C. In your case presumably it will be teeny rockwool cubes and PH-balanced water ?

4 people like this

8 minutes ago, cultivateur said:

PH-balanced water ?

I didn't PH my water but did add a little seedling nutrient to the water. I was going to mix coco and perlite today with ph'd water a nutes to transfer the seedling to and keep the plant in a tent in light, still with the heatmat. I'm doing an outdoor grow and am hoping it will be warm enough to put outside in May, but could still bring it in at night. I know they don't like being below 10 degrees and in may night time temps adverage 5 degrees I think.

seedlings love high humidity I keep mine in a heated propagator once they sprout.

Love it, you bought a wilma drip system but need to know how to germinate seeds, did you go way ahead of yourself??

Anyway, should be enough info to get started here.

14 people like this

@skorpio777

As you are a complete noob at this bear in mind that you are growing a plant like any other seed plant.

There is a saying that us stoners like to regurgitate as it has stood us in good stead for ages.

K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple Stoner!

As above you have been advised to soak, transfer to paper towel then to a root riot, propogator, high humidity....etc

In my experience i would advise to moisten some media ie soil, coco, jiffy pellet, make a hole about 5mm deep and pop ya seed in. Close the hole up and put them somewhere warm, 18c - 25c is fine just keep the surface moist by misting with a spray bottle of plain water. It really couldn’t be simpler but requires patience as it could take 3-7 days for the seeds to break the surface, once they have they can go under a veg light.  Seeds do not need a propagator nor high humidity that’s clones lol 

You will get a lot of advice on here some good some bad some indifferent. It’s always good to do some reading and research first and also remember less is usually more when it comes to growing our favourite plant!

peace!

lil d. :hippy::skin_up::bong:

Eta in 15 years I have had 99% germination.

Edited by lildaveham
11 people like this

Personally putting between two wet kitchen towels has always worked best for us,.. (straight in-between Damp kitchen towels in a Tupperware box and put in the airing cupboard or ontop of the boiler for 24-36hrs has always worked no need to soak in shot glasses of water,.. )

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

Then pot on in small 0.5L pots under some floro's or cfl's,  and they will be ready in 2-3 weeks to pot onto bigger pots or system,.. no need for propagators and all that with seeds, that's for cuttings,..

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

Keep it simple,.. Never complicate things and don't over water ,.. GOOD LUCK

Just my 2pence horses for courses and all that,..

Panik

17 people like this

I'm actually going to do a short video clip on this method soon,..  :yep: 

13 people like this

And the advantage of using paper towels is,when the tap root emerges,you can leave the seed in paper towel (make sure it's still damp) and 24 hrs later you've got an even longer root,so there's more chance of it taking off in your soil/compost/coco.

5 people like this

I used to use the paper towel method - it certainly works... You can literally just put seed in some fluffy, damp coco or lightly compacted compost.

'Keep it simple'... Its a wee bit odd that you plan to run a wilma system next to a hand watered coco grow - maybe I got that wrong... One system designed to do the watering for you, so to speak, and the other is among the more intensive mediums in terms of the time you need to give to watering... Still, the coco pots will keep you focused on things on a daily basis...

Good luck! :v:

5 people like this

@panik i do exactly the same... Either a tupperware tub or a blown up food bag... Then into airing cupboard. 

4 people like this

3 hours ago, amsterdammer said:

Love it, you bought a wilma drip system but need to know how to germinate seeds, did you go way ahead of yourself??

Anyway, should be enough info to get started here.

yes,         ive rushed into this whole thing , i was listening to a mate whos grown for years but then last week he has pissed off to thailand after promising me that he would be here to help me step by step so,     now im stuck with the lot .

im reading like mad and watching youtube vids but so conflicting ways as last night i watched a guy ( cali green)  make a video saying that the light dont matter in a grow room, he says temperature is the key !!   all this after ive been taught that its the lights that matter first and formost  . 

i just dont wanna fuk these seeds up !

cheers  

3 hours ago, lildaveham said:

@skorpio777

As you are a complete noob at this bear in mind that you are growing a plant like any other seed plant.

There is a saying that us stoners like to regurgitate as it has stood us in good stead for ages.

K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple Stoner!

As above you have been advised to soak, transfer to paper towel then to a root riot, propogator, high humidity....etc

In my experience i would advise to moisten some media ie soil, coco, jiffy pellet, make a hole about 5mm deep and pop ya seed in. Close the hole up and put them somewhere warm, 18c - 25c is fine just keep the surface moist by misting with a spray bottle of plain water. It really couldn’t be simpler but requires patience as it could take 3-7 days for the seeds to break the surface, once they have they can go under a veg light.  Seeds do not need a propagator nor high humidity that’s clones lol 

You will get a lot of advice on here some good some bad some indifferent. It’s always good to do some reading and research first and also remember less is usually more when it comes to growing our favourite plant!

peace!

lil d. :hippy::skin_up::bong:

Eta in 15 years I have had 99% germination.

thanks mate ,  are you saying dont listen too much about PH levels and EC levels etc  ,  i was afraid to soak these seeds using the paper towel method as i cannot work my PH metre yet ( it needs calibrated )  and thought that a high PH would kill the seeds. 

they cost me 80 quid from dinafem so dont want to fork out another 80 if it goes tits up. 

cheers !!!

Edited by skorpio777

Nope @skorpio777 seeds do not need ph adjusted water to germinate.

Just use tap water.

lil d.

Edited by lildaveham
4 people like this