Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

cortez

Leaf brown spots!

Just started a new grow and have some brown spots!  I over watered in the early stages, which caused some curling and browning to the lower leaves but I'm sure I have that under control now.

Plants are now 4 weeks old and these spots are on new leaves...................................Any thoughts?

Room temp is between 24 to 26 degrees, ventilation is good so humidity levels should be ok, PH levels are fine but I'm not adding any nutrients yet.

large.P1050096.jpglarge.P1050094.jpglarge.P1050093.jpglarge.P1050090.jpg

Looks like you've split abit of water on them bud  , not to sure about around the edges of the left tho .

Edited by Autofatman

Hi. You shouldn't need to ph the water going into your compost. Looks like salt buildup/toxicity though* and I'd be surprised if phosphoric acid had caused it unless you are using loads.. Which compost are you using or is it a diy mix?

*edit - actually it could just be starving, hard to tell the overall shade of green. A pic showing the whole plant would be useful but if you're using a regular potting mix and they are in their first pots just feed them..

Edited by uBercaMeL
1 person likes this

15 hours ago, uBercaMeL said:

Hi. You shouldn't need to ph the water going into your compost. Looks like salt buildup/toxicity though* and I'd be surprised if phosphoric acid had caused it unless you are using loads.. Which compost are you using or is it a diy mix?

*edit - actually it could just be starving, hard to tell the overall shade of green. A pic showing the whole plant would be useful but if you're using a regular potting mix and they are in their first pots just feed them..

I'm using B&Q's Verve Multipurpose.  I've used it before with no problems.

Water is rain water.

I've not had this type of browning before but I have recently changed to Metal Halide, which runs a LOT cooler than my old 600w HPS, but I'm still blowing a fan bellow the light and across the plants!  I'm wondering if they are suffering a chill form the breeze because the rest of the plant looks lush and green.

Any thoughts?  And thanks dude :smokin:

large.P1050117.jpglarge.P1050114.jpg

2 people like this

Raise the light mate , looks like a few of mine at the mo.. too close to light as they are curling up also give them a feed , around 1ml-2ml per Lt of grow, mine have some light burn which looks like the edges of yours bud.

My plant has a cold air intake on it and it seems to be doing fine buddie 

Edited by Autofatman

I'd say that's just compost. 

Verve is too hot. Some batches hotter than others. Looks like your batch is scorching and now your plant has a hug network of feeder roots it's taking advantage of that a bit too much. 

New growth ok? 

4 people like this

Also........you shouldn't even know what you ph levels are. Your in soil 

Put the ph pen away. That is for hydro not soil. 

4 people like this

Just a thought, outdoor growers use rainwater because they have to.

But if your collecting rainwater and its being fed directly to your plants, then you could be introducing any number of diseases, fungal spores and bugs into your enviroment.

Those same problems are also the main reason why the water from our taps is treated and is 99% drinkable. 

Being in a nice, warm, humid enviroment, as in your tent, those micro/macro beasts would go nuts, like meeting 100 Women from Newcastle on a Hen night in Ibiza with free Tequila. Loads of fun but a raised chance of a dodgy infection by morning.

Personally I agree with Blackpoolbouncer and they're a bit nuked but be careful with the rain water.

He's also correct that you shouldn't bother PH'ing compost,its completely pointless.

Edited by Badbadger
2 people like this

Really badger, rainwater is bad ? Rainwater IMO is the best water in the world to use. I have been using rainwater almost exclusively for 15 yrs and have never had any pests. In fact I have never had an insect problem and have never used a pesticide in my indoor garden in over 20 yrs of indoor growing. Before rainwater I used r/o. When we have a severe drought I use r/o.

benefits of rainwater-

ph is naturally between 5.5 and 6.5

rainwater is softwater and does not caontain minerals and salts like groundwater

rainwater contains trace amounts of nitrates which are the most bio-available form of nitrogen

6 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

I'd say that's just compost. 

Verve is too hot. Some batches hotter than others. Looks like your batch is scorching and now your plant has a hug network of feeder roots it's taking advantage of that a bit too much. 

New growth ok? 

New growth is ok on one plant but the other two are showing signs of browning.

I used Verve for the first time on my last grow and had my best ever grow!  But I get where your coming from as i can't think of anything else it could be.

Do you think a good flush and feed may help?

3 hours ago, Badbadger said:

Just a thought, outdoor growers use rainwater because they have to.

But if your collecting rainwater and its being fed directly to your plants, then you could be introducing any number of diseases, fungal spores and bugs into your enviroment.

Those same problems are also the main reason why the water from our taps is treated and is 99% drinkable. 

Being in a nice, warm, humid enviroment, as in your tent, those micro/macro beasts would go nuts, like meeting 100 Women from Newcastle on a Hen night in Ibiza with free Tequila. Loads of fun but a raised chance of a dodgy infection by morning.

Personally I agree with Blackpoolbouncer and they're a bit nuked but be careful with the rain water.

He's also correct that you shouldn't bother PH'ing compost,its completely pointless.

Thanks Badger

Believe it or not, I've been growing for over 10 years and I've only ever used rain water!  I must add, I class myself as a do and hope grower with very little natural ability and proper knowledge but, to date, I've always managed to produce a reasonable quality/amount of meds.

If I have any problems, I come here.

I'm a good listener and if the common opinion is tap is best, I'll change.

Any other opinions out there on this?

14 hours ago, Autofatman said:

Raise the light mate , looks like a few of mine at the mo.. too close to light as they are curling up also give them a feed , around 1ml-2ml per Lt of grow, mine have some light burn which looks like the edges of yours bud.

My plant has a cold air intake on it and it seems to be doing fine buddie 

Thanks fatman

At present, I think it's compost and not heat.  Metal Halide's don't run very hot and I keep a temp probe near the top of the plants to keep an eye on the temps. The top of the plant directly under the bulb is 25c but I've lifted the light a couple of inches, just in case................................I'll consider any advice to save me girls.

1 person likes this

Sorry for the slow reply. That doesn't look like ight/heat or wind damage to me. I'm sticking with severe hunger or ph related problems if they've been in that compost 4 weeks with no feed. Ime verve isn't all that strong (max 3-4 weeks before you need to feed), fair amount of nitrogen but that is not nitrogen toxicity. Though I've not used it in a few years I've used it a bunch, as have mates, and never seen symptoms like that. Could be a bad batch I guess (but again 4 weeks without feeding and you'd expect some weirdness). I've had problems with garden centre compost that has been rained on and sat wet a few times..

Edit- I would suggest feeding a moderate amount of grow nutrient (with non-phd tap water) and see how they react.

Edited by uBercaMeL
1 person likes this

On 2/25/2018 at 2:30 PM, uBercaMeL said:

Sorry for the slow reply. That doesn't look like ight/heat or wind damage to me. I'm sticking with severe hunger or ph related problems if they've been in that compost 4 weeks with no feed. Ime verve isn't all that strong (max 3-4 weeks before you need to feed), fair amount of nitrogen but that is not nitrogen toxicity. Though I've not used it in a few years I've used it a bunch, as have mates, and never seen symptoms like that. Could be a bad batch I guess (but again 4 weeks without feeding and you'd expect some weirdness). I've had problems with garden centre compost that has been rained on and sat wet a few times..

Edit- I would suggest feeding a moderate amount of grow nutrient (with non-phd tap water) and see how they react.

I've also never had or seen this before.  Being a bit of a long term "grow idiot" I often have common/obvious issues during a grow but as I've said, they're obvious and normally easy to address...............But not this one!

I gave them a mild grow feed a couple of days ago and intend increasing on the next watering. 

Other than the brown edges and tips, they're looking very green, healthy and are bushing out nicely.  I'm still getting brown tips on some of the new growth but I hope that will halt now I'm feeding.

Thanks dude and I'll let you know how things are in a few days.

2 people like this

On 2/25/2018 at 2:30 PM, uBercaMeL said:

Quick update.........

As advised, I started feeding and the plants are now lush and flowering very nicely with NO browning. 

I'm still only using rain water and I don't personally feel the Verve caused any issues as I think uBercaMel hit the nail squarely on the head.

I must have fed earlier on previous grows.  That's the problem with long gaps between grows, you tend to forget how you did it before!  Guess keeping a grow diary would be a good idea.

Thanks again uBercaMel

large_web.jpg

3 people like this