Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Simple Jack

Medical cannabis oil sales surge after Holland & Barrett becomes first high street store to sell product

18 posts in this topic

Medical cannabis oil sales surge after Holland & Barrett becomes first high street store to sell product

According to the Cannabis Trades Association UK the number of cannabidiol consumers has rocketed from 125,000 12 months ago to 250,000 now

Holland & Barrett began stocking the supplement four weeks ago (Image: REX/Shutterstock)

Sales of medicinal cannabis oil have ­doubled over the past year.

And demand for the supplement has surged even faster after health food chain Holland & Barrett became the first high street store to stock it four weeks ago.

According to the Cannabis Trades Association UK the number of cannabidiol (CBD) users has gone from 125,000 12 months ago to 250,000 now.

CBD oil does not produce a high, as it has less than 0.2% of the psychoactive ­tetra­­­hydro­­cannabinol, so it is legal in the UK.

Dutch firm Jacob Hooy’s CBD+Oil has proved so popular – with sales up 37% since it hit Holland & Barrett shelves – that the health food chain is adding four more cannabis oil products next month.

CBD oil is used to ease the symptoms of multiple ­sclerosis, joint pain, anxiety and depression, along with a range of other conditions.

Holland & Barrett said: “‘We have been surprised at the success and popularity of CBD oil since its launch.

“We are constantly looking to bring new and innovative ­products to market that help our customers.

“It is great to see in this instance that we can help with the demand.”

But the chain’s website has mixed reviews of the oil, with comments ranging from “excellent for many ailments – liquid gold” to “I’m not noticing anything”.

Jacob Hooy CBD+Oil costs £19.99 for a 10ml bottle, with users putting drops under the tongue.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/medical-cannabis-oil-sales-surge-12014520

from H&B site

Description 

100% natural cannabidiol oil

Each 10ml bottle contains approx 240 drops

With cold-pressed hemp seeds

Ingredients: 

Hemp Seed Oil, Hemp Paste

so its just normal hemp seed oil? they haven't fractionated the cbd from the oil?

as far as im aware pretty much most industrial EU hemp oil as around 1.8-2.7%cbd with uk law allowing 0.2thc

so its just hemp oil.. 

4 people like this

5 minutes ago, twigs said:

so its just hemp oil.

yeah but it cures cancer and everything

6 people like this

I tried it and knew I would be wasting my money, I just wanted to compare it to some 'purple edition' oil I bought from somewhere else online (which has 20% whole plant extract from a outdoor grown cannabis hybrid female in Holland mixed with 80% hemp oil). It had absolutely nothing on the purple edition, it is absolutely useless really, I went through the full bottle in two days, then when the purple edition oil arrived it was a right difference. I'm not saying it's a miracle cure like a lot of the legalisers are screaming out that it is, but my partial seizures have dropped nearly 100%, really. I also bought some purple edition 'paste' too, which is the whole plant extract itself and worked great for night time. It's quite simple really, just whole plant extract of of CBD rich plants.

3 people like this

i think all cbd has to come from seeds and stalk too?

they're not allowed to use flower heads for oil

or maybe thats just the states?.

23 minutes ago, twigs said:

100% natural cannabidiol oil

100% hemp oil (CBD 2.75%), 2000% mark up!

5 people like this

I use hemp protein as a bodybuilding supplement (mixed in porridge or just make a drink) and I found the Holland and Barrett stuff tasted exactly the same, kinda nuttyish.

They cold press the hemp seeds to get the hemp protein powders, they say they cold press the seeds to get the oil too though, so that confuses me a bit and if so then my hemp protein should have traces of CBD but says it has nothing alike whatsoever.

28 minutes ago, Conspiranought said:

I tried it and knew I would be wasting my money, I just wanted to compare it to some 'purple edition' oil I bought from somewhere else online (which has 20% whole plant extract from a outdoor grown cannabis hybrid female in Holland mixed with 80% hemp oil). It had absolutely nothing on the purple edition, it is absolutely useless really, I went through the full bottle in two days, then when the purple edition oil arrived it was a right difference. I'm not saying it's a miracle cure like a lot of the legalisers are screaming out that it is, but my partial seizures have dropped nearly 100%, really. I also bought some purple edition 'paste' too, which is the whole plant extract itself and worked great for night time. It's quite simple really, just whole plant extract of of CBD rich plants.

I tried it as well mate with the intention of giving it to some family members.:thumbdown:

industrial hemp oil diluted with olive oil to homeopathic levels lol

scamming, snake oil selling fraudsters

8 people like this

The price of this stuff is ridiculous...it's almost criminal for what it is :frown:

3 people like this

So if I grow 1 dinamed from dinafem outdoors this year and I get say 3 oz of buds, say I get 10g of RSO type extract and then cut this with 350g of hemp seed oil .... I’ll have made ££££thousands worth of cbd oil - I can then sell that legallay as it’s just CBD ? 

39 minutes ago, Clean Green said:

So if I grow 1 dinamed from dinafem outdoors this year and I get say 3 oz of buds, say I get 10g of RSO type extract and then cut this with 350g of hemp seed oil .... I’ll have made ££££thousands worth of cbd oil - I can then sell that legallay as it’s just CBD ? 

as long as you've got a licence to grow cannabis, non refundable application fee £5000+ i think, every year plus extras

and its less than 0.2 thc and got a % of cbd

i think theirs a company set up now testing claims from cbd sellers and basicly forcing them to join their association for validation.?

or they grass you to .gov 

im sure i didn't just think that...:skin_up:

plus it would make you one of the unscrupulous types selling it to sick people in hope.

for a quick quid

Edited by twigs
3 people like this

But of course I wouldn’t have grown it (even though I might of) it would be a cbd type oil. Is a licence required to sell cbd specifically ? I’m not planning to do this and was just exploring a point  but with all the high cbd low thc strains now available it’s surely just a matter of time before a black market high strength cbd oil trade fills that niche. £20 for a glug of hemp seed oil with one drop of extracted cbd ffs

11 hours ago, Clean Green said:

Is a licence required to sell cbd specifically ?

Don't think so. CBD is not a scheduled drug. As long as the preparation is <0.2% THC it is legal. It cannot however be sold as a medicine; it must be described as a food supplement.

11 hours ago, Clean Green said:

but with all the high cbd low thc strains now available it’s surely just a matter of time before a black market high strength cbd oil trade fills that niche.

In theory, licenced hemp growers should be able to grow CBD rich hemp but I don't know if the licence allows for the production of anything other than seeds and fibre. Given the attitude of the Home Office, probably not.

It would be great if growers (or importers) could sell raw CBD flowers to be consumed according to personal preference. There's no legal reason why not.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Simple Jack said:

Don't think so. CBD is not a scheduled drug. As long as the preparation is <0.2% THC it is legal. It cannot however be sold as a medicine; it must be described as a food supplement.

In theory, licenced hemp growers should be able to grow CBD rich hemp but I don't know if the licence allows for the production of anything other than seeds and fibre. Given the attitude of the Home Office, probably not.

It would be great if growers (or importers) could sell raw CBD flowers to be consumed according to personal preference. There's no legal reason why not.

The Internet is buzzing about a new breed of marijuana that apparently causes no buzz of its own. Israeli researchers have bred cannabis plants that look, smell and taste like ordinary marijuana — but lack THC, the active ingredient responsible for the spacy, giddy and sometimes hallucinatory part of pot’s high.

What’s the point of weed that doesn’t get you high, you ask? The new product could potentially fight conditions ranging from schizophrenia to Alzheimer’s disease.

The new marijuana isn’t just low-THC ditch weed or hemp by a different name. Tzahi Klein of the Israeli company Tikkun Olam and his colleagues have created a strain of pot that lacks THC but is abundant in cannabidiol (CBD), typically the second most common active compound in cannabis.

“It has the same scent, shape and taste as the original plant — it’s all the same — but the numbing sensation that users are accustomed to has disappeared,” Klein told the Israeli paper Maariv. He said that many patients in his studies felt “tricked” because they thought they’d been given a placebo when they smoked it.

(MORE: Marijuana Compound Treats Schizophrenia with Few Side Effects: Clinical Trial)

But while CBD doesn’t lead to the “munchies,” hallucinations or other effects commonly felt by marijuana users, it’s far from inert. As I reported last week, a preliminary trial of CBD for the treatment of people with schizophrenia found that it was as effective as a standard antipsychotic drug — with none of the movement disorders, mood issues or weight gain linked to that class of medications.

CBD also seems to protect brain cells from damage, so much so that it is currently being studied as a way to stop the progression of the movement disorder Huntington’s disease, which is caused by degeneration of nerve cells in certain parts of the brain. CBD’s neuroprotective property has also been shown to fight Alzheimer’s disease progression in animal models — though human research has yet to be done — and to reduce seizures.

Further, the compound has anxiety-reducing effects, which may be responsible for making some types of marijuana seem mellower than others. Shorn of THC, marijuana containing CBD might be useful as an anti-anxiety medication or antidepressant. And because it doesn’t produce a noticeable high or impairment, it wouldn’t carry the risks associated with current anti-anxiety drugs like Xanax.

(MORE: What’s in Your Marijuana? Some Pot Doesn’t Rot Your Memory)

All of this means that the new plant could have huge potential — if its development isn’t stymied by the fact that its ingredients can’t be patented (that means less profit for drug companies) or by the politics of the drug war. Two big ifs.

Here’s hoping that this type of medical marijuana is made available to researchers for further study and then to countries and states where it is legal for compassionate access. Patenting and political roadblocks mean it may be a long time before a synthetic version of CBD hits the market, but many questions about its safety and efficacy could be answered far more quickly.

Until now, it hasn’t been possible to get CBD from smoking marijuana without the simultaneous and possibly counterproductive exposure to THC. The new plant could change that — and perhaps shift the medical marijuana debate as well. While THC will remain essential for some medical marijuana patients — to increase appetite, for example — the non-impairing version of marijuana with CBD could help many others, without inducing the pleasure-producing properties that cause so much unending controversy.

healthland.time.com/2012/06/04/a-new-marijuana-plant-without-the-high-it-could-be-good-medicine/

I'm sure I read something the other week about these THC-free buds being sold over amazon in europe, coming from Sweden or Switzerland or somewhere like that I think? Can't find the article now.

Edited by Fry
1 person likes this