Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Chopperthedog

Best substitute for Everclear

35 posts in this topic

Firstly apologies if this question has been asked many times before but I couldn't find it on the forum, that would mainly be down to human error. 

Im going to make some RSO and will need something like everclear from what I've read, I've seen people recommend isopropyl alcohol, would this be the  safest choice and is there anything I should look for in particular, is there a certain brand I should buy and does it need to be food grade. Any extra nuggets of information regarding this would be very appreciated. Thanks a lot

1 person likes this

Spirytus Polish Vodka is 94-96% pure , it's the closest thing to grain alcohol available in the UK. It's not cheap but personally I wouldn't use ISO because it's been denatured and contains harmful additives if consumed. 

Hope this helps 

:yinyang:

7 people like this

Depending on your means I would look into building a rosin press and then decarbing the rosin after extraction. 

No solvents involved, just heat and pressure. Its the safest cleanest method of extraction going. 

Prior to this supercritical CO2 extraction was the safest cleanest method but now rosin has surpassed it now and the yields are similar if you invest in a high power press. All the parts to build one can be bought for around £250-300 

This is more expensive than the equipment for an RSO extraction but you will save money in the long run as you don't have the consumable solvent as an ongoing cost. 

Worth looking into 

3 people like this

I use 99.99% medical grade Isopropyll Alcohol which is fine as long as you cook it and purge it properly. I buy 10 x 1 litre bottles at a time for about 22 quid.

If you are dead set on grain alcohol you could buy a distilling machine and make your own. If you get a good vodka or grain alcohol you'll reduce the volume by about 30%. You can use the distiller to cook the oil down as well.

5 people like this

As @Breezus said if you want to make a truly safe to consume alcohol based extraction you need to start with alcohol which is intended for human consumption.

spirytus costs about £30 per 70cl, ebay iso is £15 for 5l...  I wouldn't even consider using iso unless it had been distilled by myself, maybe twice, because I know for sure it's has stuff in it that isn't in the spirytus because they evaporate quite differently, iso leaves a weird smudge/film.

5 people like this

My mother in law has cancer and we are keen to get going so I think I'll try and get some spiritus for now and look into the rosin press for long term. I wouldn't turn my nose up at the ISO but I do like the sound of something that's made for human consumption. 

Does anyone have a source for spirytus as a quick google search has everyone showing up as out of stock even amazon, I'd guess words probably spreading about its other uses. :)

I made ISO RSO for my Dad's Cancer it's not ideal but in a pinch it will work. As long as you purge it properly there will be no ISO (toxic) left in the end product just the bittering agent but if you are administering via gelatine capsules this won't cause any problems. 

My learnings are you need more than most sources state and for much longer go to as high a dose as she can manage until the cancer is gone or she can no longer take it. 

All the best with everything I hope it does the job

2 people like this

On 13/02/2018 at 8:02 PM, Chopperthedog said:

Does anyone have a source for spirytus as a quick google search has everyone showing up as out of stock even amazon, I'd guess words probably spreading about its other uses. :)

Try your local eastern European stores, ask discreetly and someone will oblige 

:yinyang:

2 people like this

interesting post...im hoping to get a good crop  this summer as i also need oil for a cancer patient whos a family member ....i was looking into iso   as i haddent heard of   spirytus?   whats the cost per litre of it ?

also is it as  flamible as the iso ?

thanks

Edited by vortex

It's not cheap.

I think I paid £30 per 70cl and I have an excellent relationship with my local european shop owners and saw it dearer online.

There are different strengths of spirytus,if you ask for pure polish spirit then you should get the 95% abv one.

3 people like this

It's not cheap.

I think I paid £30 per 70cl and I have an excellent relationship with my local european shop owners and saw it dearer online.

There are different strengths of spirytus,if you ask for pure polish spirit then you should get the 95% abv one.

edit to add: a consideration when using expensive solvents would be to re-distill the alcohol during the purging process. I've seen several little all in one stills online although I'm quite sure someone who was handy with engineering could easily convert an old pressure cooker with a condenser coil coming out where the valve would be to achieve the same goal.

Edited by The lone stoner
1 person likes this

On 13/02/2018 at 1:53 PM, bearukc said:

If you are dead set on grain alcohol you could buy a distilling machine and make your own

I'd be honest and say unless you have a pretty good laboratory, this is ambitious. Even if you start with a pure Turbo Yeast intended for distillation you won't get much beyond 60%. Try and push it any more and all the nasties that make up the wash will overpower the distillate.

If I've needed alcohol to make BHO, I've used Isopropanol from Maplin. It's used to clean circuit boards and something a hobbyist would be buying no questions asked.

If I've needed alcohol to drink, I distill my own :) 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, JimmyPage said:

I'd be honest and say unless you have a pretty good laboratory, this is ambitious. Even if you start with a pure Turbo Yeast intended for distillation you won't get much beyond 60%. Try and push it any more and all the nasties that make up the wash will overpower the distillate.

If I've needed alcohol to make BHO, I've used Isopropanol from Maplin. It's used to clean circuit boards and something a hobbyist would be buying no questions asked.

If I've needed alcohol to drink, I distill my own :) 

I didn't mean make it from scratch. I've heard of people starting off with strong vodka and distilling that down :)

20 hours ago, bearukc said:

I didn't mean make it from scratch. I've heard of people starting off with strong vodka and distilling that down :)

You mean "up" surely ?

Bear in mind unless you really know what you are doing and have the right equipment, you can't get 100% alcohol by distillation.

And FFS remember that alcohol is volatile, colourless and odourless and very good at going .... BOOM.

2 people like this