Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

21 posts in this topic

Hi guys welcome to my Average Joe Grow:bong:

I'm running 5 autoflowers this garden.

3x CDB industrial plant - Dinafem 

1x Gorilla Glue - Fastbuds

1x OG Kush - Mr Krippling 

Equipment

26w CFL

600w dual spectrum bulb

Digital ballast 

Floor fan

Small clip fan 

Fan and Filter (when I get paid next week lol)

7.5litre Smart pots

RO filter for water (produces 50GallonPerDay)

Bio-Bizz All mix soil 

Nutrients

So guys I have a spare cupboard with some good height so I thought it would be a nice place for a couple plants.You can see from the list I have a pretty basic setup, and instead of a tent (and save some money) I've stapled black and white sheet around the room. 

Germination

I popped all seeds in straight RO water for 36 hours and all seeds cracked and tap roots were just poking out so I moved them into damp kitchen roll and placed in plastic food bags in the dark for another 24 hours. The next day all tap roots were visible so I got them planted into 16oz American Red Party Cups and moved them under the CFL, for the first couple of days I'll  keep the light on 24 hour. I kept food bags over each individual cup to keep it humid, also I put them on top of a heat mat set to keep the soil at 26 degrees Celsius

Veg

Day 1.

Another 24 hours has passed and the all the girls are reaching for the light. Some seed shells were stuck on the first set of leaves so I carefully removed them, everything looks fine nothing more to be done.

Day 2. 

The girls are looking healthy and should have some roots by now so time to remove the food bags from over the cups. Ill leave them on the heat mat still to keep the soil temp up.

it's a little cold in the cupboard so I plan on keeping them on the heat mat untill I move then to there final pots and get the big light on them (no later than 10 days) The soil is still damp so no need to water, nothing more to be done today, I'll try and get some photos up once I learn how lol.

Edited by LennoxBoy
7 people like this

Day 3. 

Everything is moving along nicely at this point, the girls all look great. Soil is still damp so no need to water. Today I'll put the CFL on a timer 18/6 and give the girls there first sleep tonight. I have read people give there autos 24 hour the full way through but I think it's important for the plants too sleep in order to grow, just like us they need their beauty sleep. Other than that nothing more to be done today.

P.s. Still haven't figured out the picture scenario on here if anyone could drop some knowledge on me that would be fantastic :bong:

3 people like this

3 hours ago, LennoxBoy said:

I think it's important for the plants too sleep in order to grow

How much sleep do you think the plants with this autoflower gene get where they come from? 

What's your reasoning behind thinking they need sleep?

You "think" it is important. The plant that has evolved over thousands of years to specifically grow under constant light in nature does not think its so important.

Leaving what we "think" is right along with mans ego to know best behind and understanding what the plant thinks is something the agri/horticultural world needs to do a bit more. 

Nature has ALL the answers, we are but students not the teachers 

I know it sounds wrong, bit 24 hour light is actually replicating our plants ancestors natural environment. It's us thinking we know better that thinks otherwise 

Good luck with your grow dude. Copy nature and go wild with your light hours 

E2a. Pictures needs resizing under 600kb before you upload them. Apps are good for this or saving them as a .jpeg before you upload. There is a tutorial in the new members section. Welcome to the site bud. Looking forward to seeing what your up too

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
11 people like this

@blackpoolbouncer Hi man and thanks for the reply and info, The reason I thought 6 hours off would be good was to replicate day and night in summer, is it a different case for autos? Are autos designed to be grown under 24 hour light? Im definitely missing something but that's what this is all about, learning and understanding, trial and error. Any other wisdom you can share would be appreciated alot man.

Thanks again for the help and I'll get some pictures up asap:bong:

2 people like this

The auto trait comes from cannabis that grows in climates where sometimes there is no dark period and the sun never sets, hence why it autoflowers under constant light. 

Although it seems alien to us to live under 24 hour light we forget that many places in the world at the extremities this is the norm. The plants that grow in these places have had to adapt.

We are just using one of those adaptations to our advantage.

23 minutes ago, LennoxBoy said:

what its all about, learning and understanding,

Exactly! 

You have the right attitude and you will go far with it so I wish you the very best of luck. 

Learning something new is my most favourite of things. Life is all about connecting the dots if you want to understand whats going on around you imo. The more dots you connect the bigger picture you see.

Nature has lots of dots and I am but at the beginning of my puzzle and it's

One I will never fully solve by the day I die but I will enjoy seeing it revealed along the way. 

All the best buddy 

6 people like this

Well you just need to figure out why they autoflower. 

The autoflowering gene comes from Cannabis Rudralis. Cannabis Rudralis is found naturally around the Artic Circle, said to have evolved from industrial hemp grown in Siberia. The growing season is very short up there, consisting of very long days, only the fastest flowering plants got to pass their genes on, this became exaggerated through natural selection into autoflowering. 

5 people like this

@blackpoolbouncer  Thanks again man, im going to do some research and reconsider my light times. I also love learning, especially when its about weed:smokin: Thanks for the support and I hope you have many good gardens:bong:

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Well you just need to figure out why they autoflower. 

The autoflowering gene comes from Cannabis Rudralis. Cannabis Rudralis is found naturally around the Artic Circle, said to have evolved from industrial hemp grown in Siberia. The growing season is very short up there, consisting of very long days, only the fastest flowering plants got to pass their genes on, this became exaggerated through natural selection into autoflowering. 

I never really thought about why they were autoflowering, I overlooked that completely but now i understand. Thanks for the knowledge man :skin_up:

2 people like this

With regards light times, its a subject you will see much mixed opinion on. Little of it backed up with any facts lol there is no right or wrong with this choice

I advocate 24/0 because to me that makes sense to get the very most out of them. This also gives an incredibly stable environment which is one of the most important things to a happy plant.

Happy researching, all the info is on here really

7 people like this

Another fan of 20/4 here. :)

4 people like this

Day 4.

Today the girls are all looking great. The soil is still damp so no need to water. After receiving replies and some info yesterday, I was considering 24 hour light the full way but to save my self a couple quid I'll go with 20/4. I have plans to run them 24hour next garden and then I can compare.

I also got round too measuring the grow space I'm using which turned out to be 3x3 and From what I have read the correct amount of light for this space is 400w, any more and I will have to much light. Not sure if this is the case, so if anyone has any thoughts please feel free to leave a reply. That's it for today folks!

1 person likes this

3x3 is 9ft2, or 0.81m2. 400W HPS would be just about enough to cover this space but you could go a little higher. 600W HPS is slightly oversized for the space, meaning a little light might be wasted, but it wouldn't be so bright as to cause a problem for plants. 600 W is about right really.

One possibility is to use the dimmable ballast with a 400 W bulb for the early part of a grow saving a bit of energy, then once it gets full swap for a 600 W bulb and crank it up for the end. I don't think you should dim a 600 W bulb to 400 W if that is what you are thinking of. If you just have the 600 W bulb you should run it at 600 W. You could consider buying 400 W bulbs for future, this may help with efficiency early in the grow and may help you keep temperatures down in the summer.

I think 400 W HPS would be fine for that space for most of the grow but once the canopy is full, it would lack the penetration 600 W would give, meaning lower parts of the plant wouldn't get as much light. You would probably be able to get a little more out of the space with 600 W, if you fully fill the space.

Edited by delagdo
clarify something
1 person likes this

@delagdo Hi and thanks for the reply. I have a 600w bulb and i was planning on dimming it too 400w. I was worried about too much light and not enough room but I get what your saying, so ill run the 600w that way im not missing out and getting the most out of the plants. Thanks again man :bong:

1 person likes this

looking forward to seeing this unfold and to learn more about autos. blackpoolbouncer will hopefully stop in along the way with his crazy knowledge, i've seen his immense grows in the dinafem seed sub section on this forum. what blackpoolbouncer does with dinafems autos is genius :skin_up:

1 person likes this

Go 600w if you can keep it cool,  no closer to the plants than 17-18".

1 person likes this