Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Magicmunchietree

Double socket question

I just want some feedback on wether you guys think I am okay to run my newly built veg box in my loft with the flower room I have. 

In my loft is 1 double socket, part of the same ring for my top floor. From that double socket, one socket is my big 4 way timer unit, which powers my 2 x 6oow ballasts and 1 x 6 inch fan that vents my air cooled lights. 

In the other socket I have a 4 way extension, and in that is my filter fan (6 inch), my intake fan (6 inch) and another extension lead that goes into my room

On that extension is my oscillating fan and 2000w oil radiator. 

Would I get away with it if I used the spare socket on the extension outside my room to feed yet another extension lead to power the veg room, which consists of a 300w CFL, a 4 inch 15 watt extractor fan, a small 500w heater and maybe a little desk fan. 

I can always make a new socket off that socket. But that requires an electritian and its a job to get to, so my thought process is this....

A 6 way heavy duty power surge extension lead outside my room. Would this work given the load I already have up there. The 2000w oil radiator is the killer, but im hoping I wont need it soon. I only use it for winter. 

Theres not a lot of power required for the veg room, what do other people power off theyre sockets?

Regards

If my maths is right, you're pulling maybe 1500-1600 watts of one side of the double socket, the reality is that it's rated for 13A and that's more than double what you are using there now.

On the other side you clear 2kw, or slightly more than 2/3 of the rating for the socket.

You're going to push it if you try and run the veg off the same as your heater, that extra load is coming up to 900w, so you're original idea is a no-no. You could put another 4 bar onto the first socket, then power your veg room and timer from that as you'll still be under the 3kw.

You say it's on the ring. Is that a definite, is there one or two cables going into it as one means that it's a spur and if it's a spur you're already overloading it. Just because it's on the same breaker as the ring main does not mean it's actually part of the ring main.

Edited by Buckfacked
clearing things up, brain working faster than fingers.

2 hours ago, Buckfacked said:

You say it's on the ring. Is that a definite, is there one or two cables going into it as one means that it's a spur and if it's a spur you're already overloading it. Just because it's on the same breaker as the ring main does not mean it's actually part of the ring main.

Thanks for that info. Ill have to double check that when I next go up later. So two wires going into the socket is what im looking for hopefully.

So to clarify, I have the two sockets, put 4 way extensions into both. Put the timer and veg room power on one, and the fans and heater off the other? Would those heavy duty surge extension leads have any impact up there? 

34 minutes ago, Magicmunchietree said:

Thanks for that info. Ill have to double check that when I next go up later. So two wires going into the socket is what im looking for hopefully.

So to clarify, I have the two sockets, put 4 way extensions into both. Put the timer and veg room power on one, and the fans and heater off the other? Would those heavy duty surge extension leads have any impact up there? 

Surge protectors don't do anything differently regarding load, but they protect things IF, for whatever reason, the voltage spikes higher.

And if you leave your heater and fan for the bedroom as it is, and add the stuff for the veg onto the socket with the timer on now, using a socket bar if necessary, that should split the total load of the grow area, veg area and bedroom more evenly across both sockets. 

As said, look for two twin and earth cables going into the socket in the loft, if you can see the cables going to the socket, or pop the socket off and look for two live, two neutral and two earth wires connected to the socket. Only one red/black/green-yellow then it's a spur and well you need to find another way to get power for the heater and fan in the bedroom.

7 minutes ago, Buckfacked said:

Surge protectors don't do anything differently regarding load, but they protect things IF, for whatever reason, the voltage spikes higher.

And if you leave your heater and fan for the bedroom as it is, and add the stuff for the veg onto the socket with the timer on now, using a socket bar if necessary, that should split the total load of the grow area, veg area and bedroom more evenly across both sockets. 

As said, look for two twin and earth cables going into the socket in the loft, if you can see the cables going to the socket, or pop the socket off and look for two live, two neutral and two earth wires connected to the socket. Only one red/black/green-yellow then it's a spur and well you need to find another way to get power for the heater and fan in the bedroom.

Cool, let us hope for the best!

@BuckfackedJust an update mate. There appears to be two identical grey wires going into the socket, running side by side. 

Also, what I found was. On the double socket, one plug was actually the filter fan (no idea why), and the other was the 4 way which in went the timer plugs, then 2 x 2 way extensions that went into the room that ran the other two fans, the oscillating office fan and radiator. 

So, Ive switched it so on one socket I have a two way going into the room that has the radiator and office fan. Then the other socket has the 4 way that runs the timer plugs, the other 2 way for the other 2 fans, which now leaves me a spare socket....Now surely I can just get a 4 or 2 way reel (tried a lead but its not long enough) and fuel the veg room off that?

I'm guessing the distance isn't much, so you should be ok, especially as you'll have balanced the load between the two sockets better because you seem to have had a bit too much on one socket.