Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy2Hats

To decarb or not to decarb...??

I'm interested in whether uk420 users making (m)edibles are decarboxylating (applying heat to speed the conversion of THCA to THC) their weed as a distinct step (eg baking weed in the oven for a period of time) prior to extracting into butter/oil or does your process of extraction (e.g. simmering for a long time in hot butter/oil) also take care of any necessary decarboxylation process? All opinions are welcome but I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who have tried both and are able to compare or those who are firmly on either side of the fence.... to decarb or not decarb... that is the question.. 

Full disclosure... I've recently tried to make canna coconut oil and it's been a bit disappointing in terms of potency....10g of decarboxylated weed (actual bud rather than trim) infused in about 40g/45ml of coconut oil should be quite strong and yet I needed to consume approximately 10g of canna oil (theoretically equivalent to 2.5 g bud) for a decent buzz...I've previously made better (ie more potent) canna oil using a similar quantity of ABV and oil so not sure what went wrong... 

Edited by Billy2Hats
1 person likes this

Always decarb. 

Makes it easier for the body to process as well as changing THCa's etc, making it loads stronger. 

16 minutes ago, Billy2Hats said:

t's been a bit disappointing in terms of potency

Any chance you over cooked it? My last lot accidently boiled and was very mild. 

1 person likes this

was it different weed last time you made it.?

same temp, cook time, coconut oil etc?

i think full decarb is 122c for 27mins or 145c for 7mins.?

and im thinking if your cooking somthing at that temp anyway, decab should be reached in the cooking process but you dont have the 'marinating' time.?

we used to make cookies/brownies etc before we knew about decarbing and they worked all the time (even in the shite hash years lol )

but it definitely worked when i made iso oil the last couple of times, i can remember the hit/feeling from the second to last batch to the batch i have now

and the decarbed oil is face on the floor stronger :stoned:

get a sugar thermo if you haven't got one, then you know what your reaching temp wise with your coconut oil

2 people like this

@the lone deranger

@twigs

Thanks for the input... I flaked 10g of bud and baked it at about 125 C for approximately 40 mins in an envelope of foil... the bud was then infused into coconut oil by steeping and stirring  (using a double-boiler) for one hour.... since there was no danger of over-cooking in the double-boiler,  could the prior baking have been too severe?... surely not as severe as vaped bud? Perhaps I should have infused for much longer? 

I go for four hours. Anything over an hour makes big difference  :yep: 

1 person likes this

I guess there's confusion on decarbing and then steps taken afterwards. Thinking of myself here lol

From the main man himself on decarbing.. 

You are not fully decarboxylated at 10 minutes at 110C. My charts show that it takes about 27 minutes at 122C, but that is an approximation, so we place the oil container in a 250F oil bath and watch the bubbles. 

The decarboxylation process produces CO2 bubbles, which are readily observable. Their production will dramatically drop off at about 70% decarboxylation, and cease at full decarboxylation.

Full decarboxylation produces a sedative med, as much of the THC is converted

From this thread 

I like @ratdog's take on it too :yep: 

1 person likes this