Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cursed

Force Flowering

47 posts in this topic

Hi,

Not guerrilla as such, going to be in my garden.

So who force flowers outside or has any experience with it? I have some questions I hope can be answered.

In pots that are moved or in a planter?

If in pots do you move them? Does this cause them any stress being moved constantly?

Where do you house them? In a shed? Or bring them inside? How do you maintain dark?

If in a planter how do you cut out light? Some kind of box over the top? 

Would growing them inside one of those small, two door, flip top garden storage boxes work? Maybe some plastic sheeting inside to cut out light? Would they/ do they get too hot?

How accurate do you need to be, i.e. does an hour or so outside of 12/12 effect them too much or do you need to be on it and strict?

What time of year do you plant, and how big before beginning the 12/12 regime. Lots of little ones, a couple of big ones? What month do you start forcing. I'm at roughly 51 lat, so flowering ime normally starts very late august/beginning sept.

What hours do you run, 6-6, 7-7, 8-8, 9-9?

Think that's everything, any advice welcome.

I'm not buying autos, even though that might be easier, I have a seed stash that needs using up, so we can skip that suggestion. 

Thanks.

3 people like this

@Asha605 check out her diarys, she has some amazing results! And will prob answer most of your questions :yep:

5 people like this

Thanks, I'll go take a look.

Hi Cursed,

I'm at roughly the same lat as you, easterly. I'm recently back in the game as it were but I do have some experience in this.

I personally did as an average 5 plants per season of an old mates hacks. I wasn't a heavy smoker during these years. I potted them in fairly large pots, and moved them around to catch the sun. I didn't notice any particular stress from moving the pots, and have seen plants in the ground and under lights for comparison (My plants)

I was working shifts/erratic hours, so generally tried to get my plants in the dark by around 6pm and out again by around 7ish, so a 13/11 cycle ish.

My dark area was under a large workbench in my shed, with draughty construction for ventilation in a windy area.

Darkness was provided by triple thick granny curtains from charity shops/jumble sales. I used lst to keep them at the required height.

I also had to move quite a lot of tools etc to make more room as time went on, and get more curtains...

I averaged approx 10 grammes per plant, slightly more on a good year. Because of the lst, none of the plants were allowed to get taller than 3 feet.

True story.

2 people like this

^ This was before autos btw, I didn't have a single botrytis problem, which I did last summer, massively with autos outside. I couldn't trust it so I binned it... (Also white powdery mildew, which at first I took for more trichomes) ETA spelling...

Edited by woody2shoes
2 people like this

Thanks for the reply woody2shoes, much appreciated.

1 person likes this

have done it before. The best way I think is to start them around may or whatever, have them in pots and put them into dark for 12 hrs around mid july, after a month you can just let them to do their thing around mid august and crop mid september as the days will be decreasing and no chance of reveg or weird growth

4 people like this

Thanks for the input @geo1 much appreciated. 

1 person likes this

Hi @Cursed. I did this a couple of summers ago on a Thai land race and some regs (cant remember now). I didnt want to risk them getting lost to mould and wanted to try it out forexperience. In short, it was a pain in the backside and I was tied to my house for what seemed like months (really it was maybe like 6 weeks as the last 3 or 4 weeks it was close to 12/12 naturally). I had to get the Mrs to move the pots on certain days when I was away which didnt go down well. I wouldnt do it again because it was too much commitment plus autos are great. If I recall I did something like 7-7. Some days I was up to 2 hrs late putting them in but it did no harm. It was only the odd day though. The Thai landrace was delightful....I'm getting all teary.

Seriously, just do some autos.

1 person likes this

Yeah autos aren't happening. I have silly amounts of seeds that need using, so I'm not buying more. An indoor grow isn't happening any time in the foreseeable and I'd feel like I'd wasted a lot of cash if I don't use them. Force Flowering seems like the logical choice, if it doesn't work out, so be it, I tried. Lots of the seeds may not be viable but in some ways I see that as more reason to get them in soil rather than buy more. 

I have no holiday plans so being tied to the house for 6 weeks or so isn't a biggie.

Anyway, thanks for the input. 

make a poly tunnel frame out of poly pipe  plant them into the ground and shut down with a pond liner thrown over every day when you go 12/12 and take it off after dark be my suggestion :yep:

5 people like this

I forced flower once years ago. I just put them in a cupboard each night until flowering was underway, about 2 weeks, then left them in natural light. This was in the north of Scotland in the summer so much more than 12 hrs light.

They continued to flower, and I got a harvest, though it was chopped early due to moving house.

1 person likes this

I have to say though, with how auto's are coming on these days the force flower method seems less desirable. It is quite a bit of hassle to force them, some very nice results can be achieved if you have a big enough space like a large shed that you could lightproof

2 people like this

I've forceflowered a few times because I wanted to grow specific strains that are too late, and use them to breed with earlier flowering strains. 

I moved the plants inside into a closet to forceflower. I don't keep them inside till the next morning, I move them outside as soon as it's dark. partly to reduce time spent in a closet with poor ventilation, partly because I don't like getting up early. 

usually I just go for the standard 12/12(I look up a table for sunrisetimes troughout the year to determine which time in the evening I have to put them inside), since it's reliable to trigger flowering. but it depends on circumstances, for example last year I knew I was going to be away for a week at a certain date at the end of summer, so I forceflowered for a few weeks before that and put the nightlength during forceflowering at the same hours as at that date I would leave home, so they wouldn't suddenly get an increase in daylength when I stopped forceflowering(the result though was that only one forceflowered plant was triggered to flower, the other turned out to need more hours dark to start flowering, it finished in november).

you should try to be as consistent as possible, since a halfhour could be the difference between triggering or not. but as long as you do your best, there's some leeway. especially the first ~2 weeks you don't want to miss any days, since that will delay the first flowers appearing. once it's started flowering, a missed day is no disaster. for example I've been away to festivals for 2-3 days while in the middle of forceflowering, and I didn't notice any negative effects. 

2 people like this

Ok, this is the only realistic way I'm going to get any home grown weed in the foreseeable.

So someone help me design a light proof but breathable box I can out over them.

I was thinking of using one of those plastic outdoor tool storage boxes, fitting it with black out sheeting and a light baffle over a vent of some sort.. 

It won't be too much work but I'm worried about air flow.

Do people think a couple of hours a day in a not too well ventilated box will be really detrimental?

I guess I'm.worried that on a really hot day they struggle to respire properly.

Any crazy innovative ideas out there on 420?

Plus I'd have to keep them pretty squat to fit inside. So was thinking of putting them in the box and leaving them static and doing a scrog of sorts, close the box until it goes dark then open again until the morning so they can breath.

Edited by Cursed