Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Magicmunchietree

Do I need extraction in new clone/veg room?

18 posts in this topic

Hi guys (and girls), 

I am just in the process of building myself a small secondary room in my loft for purpose of clones/seeds/ and general vegging until all is good to go into my main room. My camera is broke on my phone so I can't show pictures at the minute, but out of beams of wood, 18mm loft paneling, and some mdf board I have my self a little box room that is 1.25m high, 1.7m wide and 0.9m long. Will be insulated and then reflected with mylar or radiator sheeting. White plastic sheet on the floor. (kinda proud of myself tbh)

I just want some opinions as to whether extraction and filter is neccessary, I will be running a 300w CFL with a basic reflector and im hoping that keeps the temperature up during the colder months, light will be on between 20-24 hours a day to also aid to get it near to 21-22 as possible. 

If I can maintain the correct temps, and a correct humidity (for clones and young plants) with just the light and an osclillating desk fan, is extraction neccessary while theyre that small. I only want them around 10 inch max before I swap into my main room. Its all speculation of course at this stage, but I will be able to test in a day or two. 

Any advice always appreciated, as always. 

Edited by Magicmoneytree
spelling error

I built a veg box in the loft few weeks ago, ran it empty for a week see what the temps were like - it got to 10c with light only 20c+ with a 300w heater without venting, would need to cut a hole in the ceiling to take warm air in from below to be able to vent it and control the temps. I think unless your also flowering in the loft and can circulate air from there it's not really worth doing in my case.

1 person likes this

@Magicmoneytree 

You coukd aways extract the air into ur flower tent? Use your intake fan on your flower room to extract ur veg room. Might help with room temps in flower room also. 

Unless ur veg room is packed with green then u would run into humidity issues imo. But keeping them small just to shave offf a couple weeks you could basically use the veg room as a heatsource for your flower room.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, JamJar said:

@Magicmoneytree 

You coukd aways extract the air into ur flower tent? Use your intake fan on your flower room to extract ur veg room. Might help with room temps in flower room also. 

My intake on my flower room comes straight from the roofing vent outside, I can't picture how that would fit. Daft question, could I not run the air that comes out of my flower room into the veg room, its filtered. Smells clean? But if I have intake then I would need extraction for sure, right ? I have a small rhino 6 inch 300 filter I have never used spare. Installing a fan and filter isn't the issue, its just whether its neccessary or not. I wont be doing loads in there, mostly propagator for clones, maybe seedlings too,  then if rooted just the first part until my big room is empty again.  

44 minutes ago, nl5 said:

I built a veg box in the loft few weeks ago, ran it empty for a week see what the temps were like - it got to 10c with light only 20c+ with a 300w heater without venting, would need to cut a hole in the ceiling to take warm air in from below to be able to vent it and control the temps. I think unless your also flowering in the loft and can circulate air from there it's not really worth doing in my case.

I do have a flower room up there which is much bigger, but the veg box is adjoined to it via one wall. As @JamJar mentioned, there is potential to redneck something like that. But I could just open the door slightly and have a small fan in there could I not? Either way, I need to test the temps when the lights on, we are hitting a warm spell next week so Im hoping thats it for the ice age weather. Interesting yours was at 10 though, is your room insulated at all? I will be insulating mine, and what light did you run?

It's a 250w mh in my veg room, the rooms built out of kingspan - 50mm I think it is. I think you need to exchange air in there regardless, I got a small 5" extractor set on low, if I had a flower room up there I'd put 2 stretchs of ducting to the flowering room 1 powered extraction 1 passive going back makes it easy to do, without a flower room it's really difficult without cutting a hole to below lol I think I'd be burning up in the summer freezing them in winter.

i built a new veg cupboard downstairs now I given up on the idea.

1 person likes this

You'll definitely struggle with maintaining good temps in the loft (too cold in winter, which can be offset with heating - but it will likely get too hot in summer, to which there is no easy fix).

Is there nowhere else you could put the veg box?

1 hour ago, Magicmoneytree said:

I just want some opinions as to whether extraction and filter is neccessary

I had little plants in my cupboard with out a filter and one day a mate walked in my living room and said he could smell weed immediately.

They will grow better with air exchange too  

5 people like this

25 minutes ago, nl5 said:

It's a 250w mh in my veg room, the rooms built out of kingspan - 50mm I think it is. I think you need to exchange air in there regardless, I got a small 5" extractor set on low, if I had a flower room up there I'd put 2 stretchs of ducting to the flowering room 1 powered extraction 1 passive going back makes it easy to do

I still can't picture that, so you mean extract from my veg room and run it through into my flower room? I already have good exchange in the main room so adding more intake might offset the environment. But if you could simplify that would be ace.

19 minutes ago, dingo bingo said:

You'll definitely struggle with maintaining good temps in the loft (too cold in winter, which can be offset with heating - but it will likely get too hot in summer, to which there is no easy fix).

Is there nowhere else you could put the veg box?

Loft is my only option, new build houses just aren't build to accommodate space. I don't ever struggle for a good environment in my main room. Need a heater in winter but I have perfect temps, and what room doesn't get slightly warmer in summer. But seems like I do need get a fan and install that with my spare filter. I have no air coming in though, would that be an issue?

5 minutes ago, ratdog said:

I had little plants in my cupboard with out a filter and one day a mate walked in my living room and said he could smell weed immediately.

They will grow better with air exchange too  

Seems like thats the way to go!!

1 person likes this

Thought it's also worth mentioning..... you won't need much extraction at all, invest in a 5 step variac controller and you could leave a 4" RVK on 1 / 20%. I've got a 600W MH in my veg box which is extracted via a 6" RVK left on 20% while it's cold.

1 person likes this

Fair enough, if it's loft or no veg room then so be it - just be aware of how hot a loft can get in summer, if it's bad you might need to veg elsewhere on hot days. Best thing you can do is to insulate the veg box and loft as much as possible and keep a close on eye on things when the weather gets hot or cold.

Definitely get a filter! You won't need much air exchange, except for excess heat on a hot day.

Is there any way you could extract - and/or intake from a vented roof tile or eaves?

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, dingo bingo said:

Is there any way you could extract - and/or intake from a vented roof tile or eaves?

I didn't know those things existed until today, in regards to your previous post about the controller, learnt something new there. The flower room is bringing air in through the vented roof tile, there is no eaves but I can extract behind my veg room into the empty loft space, its hard to recirculate that air because the intake is a separate entity and that is the back side of the house too. As long as I've got nice smelling air coming out of my ducting in not fussed if it feeds out into the loft space.  

I find with cuttings after a while they tend to smell like cat urine when no filter is used.

2 people like this

@Magicmoneytree

When I ran the loft in my old place, I took my inlet from the inside the house via vent, that went into a veg cab, which I ran with 250W of flouro T8's and from there vented into my flowering cabinet...by putting a 500W oil rad in with the vegging plants, I found my heater would not have to come on much as the tubes kept a good temp for the 20 hours they were on (heater used throughout the 4 hours dark).  This of course meant that I had warmed air (21 C) going into the bloom cabinet 24/7 and was sufficient for me to not have to use a heater during the bloom dark cycle, even in the middle of winter (my cabs were insulated well however and my ducting wrapped in thermal insulation also to avoid loss on transition to bloom).

My house was old btw, slate no felt and loft like a wind tunnel when the wind blew...oh and it blew as I lived on the top of one side of a valley and with some ingenuity much can be done :yep: 

4 people like this

14 minutes ago, botanics said:

@Magicmoneytree

When I ran the loft in my old place, I took my inlet from the inside the house via vent, that went into a veg cab, which I ran with 250W of flouro T8's and from there vented into my flowering cabinet...by putting a 500W oil rad in with the vegging plants, I found my heater would not have to come on much as the tubes kept a good temp for the 20 hours they were on (heater used throughout the 4 hours dark).  This of course meant that I had warmed air (21 C) going into the bloom cabinet 24/7 and was sufficient for me to not have to use a heater during the bloom dark cycle, even in the middle of winter (my cabs were insulated well however and my ducting wrapped in thermal insulation also to avoid loss on transition to bloom).

My house was old btw, slate no felt and loft like a wind tunnel when the wind blew...oh and it blew as I lived on the top of one side of a valley and with some ingenuity much can be done :yep: 

Nice info, I like that. 

I have a 1500w or 2000w (not sure) oil radiator thats been keeping my root temps in my main room to 20-21 at night even during this cold spell, and its just comfortably nice during daytime (23-25). But saying that, I might be able to do that method and use the radiator the small room once its ready, turn it down low, and vent warm air into the other room. The more I think about where its situated, it will be a quick hole in the top, feed the ducting through into the veg room, and turn the fan in the opposite direction. That has to work right? I have holes in my main room taped off to run that air back out in the loft.

Edited by Magicmunchietree
spelling error
1 person likes this

The way I set it up mate was to run a 4" Vent Axia inlet into my vegging cabinet (the footprint was decided via the roof of this cabinet comprising of the tubes, which were 5' and spaced 100mm between centres).  I then ran another 4" Vent Axia (these were ripped out of a site job) at the opposite end of the inlet and ducted that to my bloom cabinet running at 600W sodium, which was extracted via a DIY filter and 5" RVK.

The first fan (4") dragged the air from the house inside through a gas vent I'd put up in the ceiling afer chopping out the required hole (if you do this, keep the cut out and can caulk it back in if you ever wish to remove the vent and put back to standard, once rubbed down and painted won't know the difference ;) ). 

I've always been skint and so didn't run the house heating too warm but after setting up my system as described, my results improved dramatically and was a really cheap way of ensuring enough warmth in an attic grow (the fluctuations reduced and constants I was rewarded for)  In the summer, the house would be cool enough that the cabs ran a lot cooler than the ambient in the loft (that would hit 50 C plus sometimes) :v:

2 people like this