Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Slugums

Help please - root trimming

Any help, direction etc very much appreciated...

I have three clones, doing very nicely, though stuck in a small veg area while their mum flowers...

I staggered taking the cuttings, so I can experiment to a degree - the first clone was potted from 0.5 to 1lt 3weeks ago and is becoming or is, root-bound. I do not have the option of potting up so plan to trim its roots and re-pot into 1lt.

If it all goes to crap, I have a couple of weeks to work out what to do with the other two - worst case, one lives and is potted up.

Can anyone advise on good practice for root trimming or direct me to any relevant threads, please?

I have found a few discussions, though on hydro trimming, which isn't really helpful - I guess bonsai'ing a mother would be the closest to what I am trying to achieve, though temporarily. As I say, the aim/hope is to put these three in for a few additional weeks veg and turn them to 12/12 when mum comes out...

Many thanks in advance. :v:

@Slugums

When I've done it mate, I just get the plant out, take a bread knife and cut the root ball down on all sides and bottom then repot back into the same pot, as long as you don't murder it, will be fine :yep:

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, botanics said:

as you don't murder it, will be fine :yep:

:eek:

:rofl:

Excellent, thanks for the reassurance... that sounds straightforward enough - its the though more than anything, I reckon - thankfully, I have one week separating each of the girls, with luck, the first will pick up before I take the knife to the others!! :yep:

Thank you once again my friend!! :v:

1 person likes this

Hi mate 

An inch or so of each side and the bottom with a clean cut from a decent blade should suffice.

Although I must say they can handle a lot longer in those 1ltr boots without a root trim. 

In my bonsai mother thread in the propagation sub forum you can see my mother's in 1ltr pots they have been in those for pretty much I'd say 12 weeks ish possibly more , I may do a rootball trim pictorial tbis evening actully and stick it up in said thread :yinyang:

Farmer

1 person likes this

Pretty much agree with Farmer except I'd take about 1/2" from each side and 1.5" from the bottom. It will look sorry for itself for a couple of days but should pick up after that. 

I realised last night that my male TresStarDawg has been in a 2L pot for over a year now. :rofl: He couldn't be happier either, so green.