Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MicGrow

Nutrient strength sure, but what about volume?

Hey folks.

People talk a lot about nutrient strength in terms of how many milliliters of feed to a litre of water.

However, what's rarely discussed is the volume of feed. Is it just assumed that pots are totally saturated on a wet dry cycle with a fully mixed feed?

Many people use plain water regularly or intermittently.

I've got into the habit of "pre-wetting" dry pots with plain water through a dripper system. I then hand feed my nutrient mix with a watering can a short time later.

Are there any tested rules about volume? What have people found?

Fully saturate the medium with at least 10%  runoff. :)  Easy as pie.

Edit - remove volume of pot. Should be 10% runoff of the total volume absorbed by medium. 

Edited by Saddam
2 people like this

As simple as that. Thanks mate.

I still find I get some drooping, slight clawing and sometimes slowed growth from a big watering. Just like "overwatering" but starting from 100% dry for sure. They always recover fine. I water over a few minutes allowing a proper soaking, there's runoff in the saucers which the soil soaks up over five or ten minutes. I never leave them standing in water.

1 person likes this

No problem man, what size pots are you flowering in? If the soil's still soaking up feed then it's not fully saturated, I'd feed them slower, get the 10% runoff (minimum)  then remove the all runoff from the trays/saucers  with a wet vac, sponge, mop or whatever.  As long as you stick to wet/dry feeding cycle, you shouldn't go far wrong. :) 

1 person likes this

Something I've picked up as a general rule of thumb is the root ball when fully developed should take up 25-30% total pot volume . IE 11ltr pot = 2.5/3ltr total volume of nute solution per feed. 

I find this to be quite accurate. You don't get full absorption until flowering . Mine tend to stay around 20% of pot size in veg. 

HTH 

:yinyang: