Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jtmbmwvw

Starting out

Hi all, 

I’m about to start on a new adventure! 

I dabbled In  growing a good few years back, 

and now plan to start again,

im hoping this is the right section? As I just put all this in the intro and then did the big dumb ass newbie thing and read that you shouldn’t put this in the introduction section!  

Anyway here goes ....

i basically have a dedicated room with 2 separated rooms inside 

so can keep the cuttings/seeds seperate and  seperate veg and flower rooms 

the main room is about—-LxWxH

2-2.5x1x2 (flowering)

second room is 2x1x1.5 (veg)

and the cuttings will just be in a seperate area outside

now I have 3 large extraction fans

2x600w and a 400w hps all with extraction hoods,

i have 2 lots of nft tables for about 4 plants on each but I’m really interested in the Rdwc system, 

i want a system that can be left  for a day or 2 without too much worry.

i don’t have a cooler yet. But will invest in whatever

the rooms have seperate fans and internal/external ventilation, 

i have lots of test equipment digital ph/ppm/TDS meters 

heaters and an aircon unit of need be.. 

so my questions are guys 

what would be the best set up in those rooms. 

I thought about using the rdwc set up so I could literally lift the veg plant out of the pot inc the lid, from the veg room and then put it into the flowering room then start the cycle again,? Is  thid viable? Or best to just stagger the 2 rooms? 

How many plants do you think I should do. In each room for the size. Iv read that 1-2 can yield well in that area. 

What is a nice easy beginner strain with high yields and again will work with that head room. 

Oh and what is sprog? I keep seeing it and it got me wondering.. 

i have lots more questions but that’s a good start,

thanks in advance guys 

2 people like this

Hi and welcome to this great site, a sprog is a small child where I live.

hope this helps. Atb 

9 people like this

Hello there, welcome to the board :)

I can't help you much with knowledge on hydro as I'm a mud guy, but can point out a few other answers to get you in the right direction.

As assisted by Mr Golf, Sprog = small child, Scrog = "screen of green".  Basically involves setting a net screen over your plant and training it to grow across the screen, instead of upwards, giving you a greater square coverage by your plant.

Try to move away from thinking about plant count in terms of yield, as a plant can be any size you want it to depending on your veg time.  A decent canopy is what you are looking for, and you achieve this by filling your space as effectively as you can, be either vegging fewer plants to a bigger size, or more for less.  Most prob aim for somewhere in the middle of whatever workload you feel comfy with.

you're certainly in the right place, there's some good guys on here, you'll get the advice you want :)

3 people like this

There are a few variables, like how many plants are you doing, etc.

I would probably use a large tote multi site bubbler for veg, with the same size net pots as the final system, so you can just pull them from veg to bloom rooms.

are you any use at DIY? 

do you have access to hole saws, and solvent cement?

Can you place the reserviours outside the grow area

If you are interested in doing this without spending a fortune on a shop bought system, then let me know and i'll write up some speil

Edited by badbillybob
3 people like this

12 hours ago, golf.007 said:

hope this helps. Atb 

lol now that made me laugh on this miserable afternoon! I should really double check what I’m writing first,

thanks for the pointer dude :) 

hope this helps. Atb 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, unity said:

Hello there, welcome to the board :)

I can't help you much with knowledge on hydro as I'm a mud guy, but can point out a few other answers to get you in the right direction.

As assisted by Mr Golf, Sprog = small child, Scrog = "screen of green".  Basically involves setting a net screen over your plant and training it to grow across the screen, instead of upwards, giving you a greater square coverage by your plant.

Try to move away from thinking about plant count in terms of yield, as a plant can be any size you want it to depending on your veg time.  A decent canopy is what you are looking for, and you achieve this by filling your space as effectively as you can, be either vegging fewer plants to a bigger size, or more for less.  Most prob aim for somewhere in the middle of whatever workload you feel comfy with.

you're certainly in the right place, there's some good guys on here, you'll get the advice you want :)

Hi mate, ok makes sense now.. iv got to get down with all this lingo haven’t I! 

Ok I guess it’s not really the correct way of looking at it. 

I guess I’m generally asking given those size rooms, what would give me the best returns from the get go. 

But I’m starting to see that it’s nit really an easy question to answer, and there is no solid answer..

i guess i just need a fairly simple newbie proof system that will work in my areas, 

I’m handy with diy so that isn’t an issue at all.. 

so I’m just going to gather as much info as I can and dive in :) 

4 hours ago, badbillybob said:

There are a few variables, like how many plants are you doing, etc.

I would probably use a large tote multi site bubbler for veg, with the same size net pots as the final system, so you can just pull them from veg to bloom rooms.

are you any use at DIY? 

do you have access to hole saws, and solvent cement?

Can you place the reserviours outside the grow area

If you are interested in doing this without spending a fortune on a shop bought system, then let me know and i'll write up some speil

I’m not really 100% on what amount to do.. as in what would be the best number for the size of the rooms? And for a fairly quick turn around? 

I’m not shy of a bit of diy in the slightest and was going to build my own system if I went that route anyway, whatever set up I decided on. :) 

snd im glad you suggested that with regards to swapping the pots over. As that was a thought that I had as then the systems just stay set up for veg and flower I just swap the plants..  so I’m liking that idea. As I can just rotate the plants 

what is a realistic time to veg and then flower? It will they work with vegging the same amount of time as the flowering? Would I even need to have a cutting section.. would I be able to just take a cuttings put them in the veg tent after moving the plants into the flower room? If that made any sense? lol 

thanks for all the help guys 

loving it!! 

1 person likes this

what I used to do was veg them for 4 weeks.

on week 4, just before flip I took cuts and put them in my aero cloner, under 40w cfl. 

this kept them  small while the mums flowered out. I just gave them formulex and a little grow, just keeping them alive. you could do this in a small area, as long as you havethru passage of air and lights on 18 hrs a day

then, when the mums were cut down, transplant the cuts into the big pots.and start all over again

as for numbers I did 4 plants in a 2.4 by 1.2 tent, topped them at least twice and filled the tent out., I could have done 3 I reckon with the same vag, so id say  3  would fit your 2 by 1 by 2 space. you can have another in the veg space if you go down the cloner route, up to you.

strains depends on whether you prefer sativas or indicas

1 person likes this

If you go down the diy tote route then make any connection to each other and pipe returns 28 or 32 mm instead of hosepipe some systems use as the hosepipe ones can get blocked easily with roots or a clay ball.

This happened to me and flooded my tent with loads of water ended up making my own from 4 75 ltr black wheeled storage boxes from aldi and never had a leak from it  although they are a little large you can cut holes in lids and have 2 in each pot 

1 person likes this

On 14/01/2018 at 0:11 PM, doobie01 said:

If you go down the diy tote route then make any connection to each other and pipe returns 28 or 32 mm instead of hosepipe some systems use as the hosepipe ones can get blocked easily with roots or a clay ball.

This happened to me and flooded my tent with loads of water ended up making my own from 4 75 ltr black wheeled storage boxes from aldi and never had a leak from it  although they are a little large you can cut holes in lids and have 2 in each pot 

Hello mate. I’m goonh to use 40 on the return.. and 15 or 22 on the pump side of things.. as I have lots of that already.. so seems logical

think I’m gonna go for a 4 plant system and poss use a scrog method .  Lots to keep learning tho. So going to get the seed/cutting area going and the bits fit the rest do that I can get this all going ASAP.. 

On 13/01/2018 at 9:49 PM, badbillybob said:

what I used to do was veg them for 4 weeks.

on week 4, just before flip I took cuts and put them in my aero cloner, under 40w cfl. 

this kept them  small while the mums flowered out. I just gave them formulex and a little grow, just keeping them alive. you could do this in a small area, as long as you havethru passage of air and lights on 18 hrs a day

then, when the mums were cut down, transplant the cuts into the big pots.and start all over again

as for numbers I did 4 plants in a 2.4 by 1.2 tent, topped them at least twice and filled the tent out., I could have done 3 I reckon with the same vag, so id say  3  would fit your 2 by 1 by 2 space. you can have another in the veg space if you go down the cloner route, up to you.

strains depends on whether you prefer sativas or indicas

Ok sounds like a good idea.. I’m a bit smaller than I thought. As in everything I’d the same bar the width of them which is 1.5 and 1.7 meters.. so a slightly smaller number is needed..

im thinking of having both rooms going together with 4-6 plants. 3 in each. Then a veg area with the same so I can cycle them.. 

poss need to go with 4 flower and 4 veg to keep numbers right for the rozzers.. just incase..

but either way Iv got to get this all rolling! 

1 person likes this