Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

vince noir rock n roll star

d-wave and mandela effects

37 posts in this topic

Mugwuffin beat me to it buddy -

For all the crimes against haircuts (scarecuts) and I've had few - I'd never ever admit to a mullet either (duelling banjos in background)

1 person likes this

id never admit to a mullet either cos ive never had one

2 people like this

Have you checked your dad`s birth certificate Vince? lol 

1 person likes this

yes @ratdog weve been through lots of stuff weve even spoken to some other members of my family ..my brother is convinced our dads bday is the 7th .his daugher as well says its always been the 7th ,my aunty yep its the 7th ..so how can half ,my family think my dads bday is the 7th when he insists its the 8th and his documents say the 8th ..proper odd one this to us ..were going to ask some of his old work buddies soon see what they say ..i have to say my mother has been dropping little secrets about our family to me that i never knew ..its been eye opening for me as it fills in so many dots ..as a kid my mum had a horrific car crash and spent a year in intensive care and then 5 years recouperation ..during those years a lot of stuff was hidden from me and my brother ..were starting to form the picture that was missing from our lives for 6 years ..has been fascinating finding out some of the stuff ..turns out we had some right wrong uns in our family in the 60s ..all those old london crime families ..thats all ill say .

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

yes 

What did it say? 

well we found he is my dad ..and that he has always been and dammit 8th of fuckin january ..

4 people like this

Some of these Mandela effect things freaked me out a little at first, but I'm sure that it really is just my memory warping things over the years...

The movie quotes are what got me... I am still certain C3P0 did not have a silver leg, and it is "Luke, I am your father" rather than "Nooo, I am your father"

Even the accenuation of the phrase is different from what I remember.

Same with Roy Scheider in Jaws, when he says "We're gonna need a bigger boat", but apparently now it is "Youre gonna need a bigger boat"

etc etc

I just don't trust my own memory enough to get these things right, otherwise I woud be a bit more freaked out my it all!

4 people like this

i remember it as luke i am your father and were gonna need a bigger boat .and he never had a fuckin silver leg in the 70s ..when i get round to it i know ive got a couple of books from the 70s in the loft ..ill grab them and take pics ..wont be for a while as im a tad busy with family stuff again.

2 people like this

Yeah, I still have Jaws on VHS somewhere, gonna watch it when I dig it and a video player out!

I had a little look into this Mandela thing last night and its clearly our minds not noticing things until they are brought to our attention and  makes you think, oh.. Hang on I Don't remember that.. Its  your mind filling in the little  blanks with what YOU  think you remember... The Mind doesn't take in every little thing and often fiills the gaps with things that it never really noticed at the time..

If you watch an old film that  says different to what you remember then you've clearly  remembered it wrong..

The scenes were filmed years back so if you look at it again now and it says something different to what you remember  it says on film it's obviously what it's always been.. Simples, Innit!

How could recorded film possibly change over the years and be different to what was recorded at the time? :pitchfork:

What is interesting though is why/how so many  remember the same mistakes and see it the same as lots of others..  Filling in the gaps the same as many others.. Now, That's a bit of an head fuk...but again. If it's been recorded on film/documents etc.. that's how it's always been.... Obviously! Right? :unsure:

Edited by Daze
4 people like this

I've always passively believed in the Mandela effect, nothing major has happened to me to make me believe it, but your whole family thinking your dads bday is on the 7th?! If it was just you and your wife, sure, but that many people can't be a coincidence.

2 people like this

37 minutes ago, Daze said:

I had a little look into this Mandela thing last night and its clearly our minds not noticing things until they are brought to our attention and  makes you think, oh.. Hang on I Don't remember that.. Its  your mind filling in the little  blanks with what YOU  think you remember... The Mind doesn't take in every little thing and often fiills the gaps with things that it never really noticed at the time..

If you watch an old film that  says different to what you remember then you've clearly  remembered it wrong..

The scenes were filmed years back so if you look at it again now and it says something different to what you remember  it says on film it's obviously what it's always been.. Simples, Innit!

How could recorded film possibly change over the years and be different to what was recorded at the time? :pitchfork:

What is interesting though is why/how so many  remember the same mistakes and see it the same as lots of others..  Filling in the gaps the same as many others.. Now, That's a bit of an head fuk...but again. If it's been recorded on film/documents etc.. that's how it's always been.... Obviously! Right? :unsure:

erm..star wars? :stoned:

old films get edited to fit more modern times, ideas or ideologies 

films are made now that lie about war history etc

history is writen by the victor

thats not to say that the planet has time shifted though, just history being re-writen in the general media.

1 person likes this

Biggest ever quantum chip announced, but scientists aren't buying it

New chip from D-Wave boasts 2,000 qubits, or quantum bits

Quantum computing firm D-Wave has announced this month its largest ever quantum chip containing 2,000 qubits — double the capacity of its previous biggest system. The chip is scheduled to ship next year, and if it lives up to its promise, it would solidify D-Wave’s position at the forefront of quantum computing, a potentially revolutionary field that would change computing as we know it. But despite D-Wave’s confidence, scientists and academics say the company has never proved its advantages over normal computers. And, more damningly, that using the company's current methodologies, it never will.

D-Wave’s Colin Williams, the company’s director of business development and a former quantum computing scientist himself, is bullish. "[The new chip] isn’t just bigger," he told The Verge. "It’s improved in many other ways."

The Canadian firm’s quantum computing chips are based around a process known as quantum annealing. This renders a set problem (like, for example, trying to find the quickest route home passing through certain points) as a topographical map of peaks and troughs, with the optimum answer to the question defined as the lowest point on that map. While regular computers using static 1s and 0s would have to traverse the entire map to find that point, quantum computers — which use quantum bits, or qubits, that represent 1s, 0s, and both at the same time — can effectively tunnel through the landscape, find the lowest point much faster.

Williams says he’s certain that quantum annealing is the best way to make a quantum computer, and that other approaches are too theoretical. He points out that topological quantum computing (an approach that Microsoft has shown interest in) relies on creating exotic quasiparticles, which are difficult to produce and even trickier to work with. "We’re only at the very very beginning stages of being able to create these particles, let alone perform operations on them," says Williams. "[Quantum annealing] has tremendous advantages over other schemes."

But researchers say the benefits of D-Wave’s method have never been proved. A study published in Science in 2014 found that tasks performed on the company’s machines were no faster than conventional computers. The scientists were looking for evidence of "quantum speedup" — the signature advantage of quantum computers which holds that the more calculations you throw at them, the greater a difference in speed they show when compared with classical machines. The paper in Science did not rule out the possibility of D-Wave creating quantum speedup, but certainly found no evidence for it.

"There was only ever a hope that a quantum annealer would be better," Matthias Troyer, who co-authored the 2014 Science paper, told The Verge. "It turns out that at least for the architecture implemented by D-Wave, [the computation] can be mimicked very efficiently on a classical computer." Troyer says that simply doubling the number of qubits in its chips will not help D-Wave overcome this problem. "We don’t have any evidence of quantum speedup in this architecture and building a bigger machine will not help that."

Other researchers agree with Troyer’s analysis. Scott Aaronson of the University of Texas and Greg Kuperberg of UC Davis tell The Verge that while there was theoretical hope that quantum annealing would produce results, the tests have not borne this theory out. The pair note that papers published by D-Wave and partners supposedly showing its quantum advantage are generally pitting its $15 million chips against the class of processor you’d find in your laptop. What’s more, they say, testers tend to pick computational challenges optimized for D-Wave's chips, giving the company’s tech a home-field advantage. This, they say, leads to impressive but misleading claims that D-Wave's technology has been proved to be "100,00,000 times faster" than classical computers.

Kuperberg adds that D-Wave’s qubits are also of low quality compared to those produced by other researchers. "Just because [their chips] are quantum, that doesn’t make them a quantum computer," says Kuperberg. "That's like saying that any invention that is influenced by air must be an airplane. Of course, it's not true; it might instead be bagpipes."

Jeremy Hilton, D-Wave's senior vice president of systems, defended the methodologies of these papers. In the case of the Google study claiming a 100 million times quantum speedup, he noted that the decision not to compare D-Wave's chips to the fastest algorithms available for classical machines was "intentional." These faster algorithms would not scale to "real-world problem sizes," says Hilton, and so would not represent the true potential of D-Wave's chips. "It’s worth noting that one of the inventors of this faster classical algorithm actually works at Google," said Hilton. "So it is safe to say they have a pretty good idea of how relevant it is for the problems they want to solve."

Williams noted that while it's true you can't measure the quality of a chip in the number of qubits alone, D-Wave's new software functionalities would also deliver extra power. "We are at least a decade ahead in my opinion and if we can sustain our current pace of innovation we’ll remain a decade ahead, forever," he said.

Aaronson and Kuperberg would disagree, but say they’re still optimistic about the wider future of quantum computing. Troyer, too, mentions many other promising projects, including those at Microsoft, IBM, and the University of Oxford. Indeed, there have been rumors this year that a team at Google working under one John Martinis (separate to the group testing D-Wave’s chips) are getting near to a breakthrough, with results expected in the coming years.

These D wave guys are highly dubious, look at the marketting shite they saying in the last video, quantum computations affecting parallel universes hmmmmmm, its nothing but a load of buzz words and hype. Humans are quantum computers are we affecting parallel universes?

Parallel universes is just one interpretation and in my (none expert opinion) its meaningless, it just how the maths works theres only ever one real solution

A solution of the differential equation is a function y = y(x) that satisfies the equation. A differential equation has infinitely many solutions

And for the record I dont need a quantum computer to answer the question are we alone, the answer is totally obvious that no we are definitely not the only lifeform in this 90Bn light years of observable space its a ridiculous proposition

Edited by Davey Jones
7 people like this

2 hours ago, Davey Jones said:

Humans are quantum computers 

Just messing with you now - but didn't you disagree with me the other day when I suggested humans were computers???! lol 

Edited by mrrichiet
1 person likes this