Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tigseyjnr

One Contactor, alternate lighting

Hi.

Been putting off asking this, but i've got to..

Please bare with me. It's electrical and i'm in perma stoned head atm, so i'm on the back foot straight away.

@botanics @Golden Syrup@Joint hogger @stu914 please laugh, advise or tag anyone else who could also laugh/help/advise lol

I want to run my two 1.2m roof qube's on 12/12 at alternate times to help keep temps stable.

Using only what i've got :bangin:

I am currently using a powerstart 2 way contactor to control one 600w hps light. It is set up as normal with the timer on the appropriate plug etc.

large.5a19ddccda487_2wayPowerStar.jpg.08

Like this ^^^^ But with only one light. I have another tent and light running 24/7 with no other contactor available.

I was wondering if i could use this one contactor to run two lights as above (well within it's safety rating, and it has two plug sockets as above), but running the lights on alternate cycles.

(I know i can buy a contactor thing that does this, but i honestly cant the spare £40 for a month or so, and want to flip the other tent now).

This is where i'm pickling my head. Is it just a big no no? Or can i bodge it safely for a while?

I'm thinking in order to do this, while still letting the contactor do it's work, i would need 3 timers (which i have).

One where it should be, as in the pic. Set to come on when each light is due to come on, going off when each light is due to go off.

To make it easier in my head and to set the timers, i would run each tent for 11.5 hours of light.

Say the main timer (timer in pic) is set at :  on 8am / off 7.30pm  and then on 8pm off 7.30am

Then timers on the sockets, one for each individual light. Set to run just behind the main timer.

Plug One, Timer set       : on 8am off 7.40pm (off time irrelevant, so long as after main timer goes off and befor it comes back on)

Plug Two, Timer Set      : on 8pm off 7.40am (^^^)

This way each time a light is due to come on, the secondary timer is already in the right place. When the contactor timer turns on, the right light will come on. When main timer goes off, that light will go off. When it comes back on about half an hour later, the other light will come on, with the secondary timer having already switched over.

Am i just over thinking this?  :doh: 

Confused :headpain:

Nice one,

Tigs :guitar:

2 people like this

lol

8 minutes ago, bazzo said:

when this goes off you want another light/tent to turn on and viceversa

yep. Using only what i've got. Which is one contactor, and a load of timers.

The right/simple thing to do would be buy another contactor. I just cant for at least a week or two and could do with flipping the other tent.

Nice one,

Thanks @bazzo

I don't get it though  lol a diagram would be amazing, but dont worry dude.

dont worry about finding the part either. If i cant do it with what i've got, i'll have to wait and just buy another contactor.

i do see what you're saying. I thought by using the 3 timers, and having lights on for 11.5 hours would allow the contactor to work as normal?

@Nitro420 that's a very kind offer mate and i appreciate your generousity, but it's not quite sticking to the rules of the site.

Nice one,

I dont think anyone would be encouraged to give out thier details.

I know it's a kind offer, and i'm sure there's no hiden agenda. But some people are cunts lol

@bazzo that's not a pic of what going on though?

i still think my idea might work.

2 minutes ago, bazzo said:

when the main timer is off, the secondary timers will lose time.

that's the one

:yep:

Thanks for your help mate @bazza

1 person likes this

It's called a flip flop contactor. 

1 person likes this