Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

samokybacon

firsttimer
HELP! WILMA newbie with suspected N deficiency

43 posts in this topic

Hi all, so ive been stumbling my way through my first grow fairly well (or at least i thought i had!) reading massive amounts from this forum which has been invaluable so far but i seam to have hit a bit of a wall! 

All was going well until the last two weeks or so, after some bad advice on my lamp height/power and watering schedules aka i was advised that i could water them for 15mins every hr as i had switched from a 125w CFL to a 600w HPS! When i had only been watering them for 15mins 6 times a day before hand with the CFL. 

So as you may have guessed over watering ensued and by the time i cottoned onto it it was really prevalent with droopy leafs, stunted growth being the most obvious and then the onset of burnt tips and then the signs of Nitrogen deficiency with the bottom leaves turning yellow and dropping off followed by the next leaf ect ect. 

Suffice to say i've lowered the feeds back down to 6 per day and raised the lamp up so temps aren't so high, that was 4 days ago and things don't seem to be turning around too quick, still getting more yellow leafs,,, making me questions is my diagnosis correct!?!

So i guess i have a few questions that i'm hoping you guys will be able to help me out with.

1, How long should it take for the N deficiency to clear up? 
2, is there something else at play that i have over looked?
3, what else can i do to help them recover? 
4, Any other Ferro use'ers out there have any tips on using the range? or have a diary i could read?
5, My fans seam to be running full chat most of the time and yet my temps are still a fair bit higher then what ive set on the controller? i.e my controller is set to 24 degrees and yet temps are topping out at 28! Im guessing the 2nd hand controller i got wasn't such a bargain eh! =(
6, Is 6 feeds a day still too much? Any wilma use'ers out there have timing advice in regards to feeds?

My set up is as follows,,, Female Seeds Lemon Kush, planted from seed 7weeks ago, topped at the 4th node and attempting to scrog.

Wilma 4 Pot with 5ltr pots & clay pebbles and x4 air stones.
1.2x1.2 tent with a 600w hps aprox 3 feet above canopy on a 18/6 cycle.
Ventilation ect is controlled by SMS Com 2amp Hybrid controller With RVK 100e2 in take and RVK 150e2 out through a massive Rino filter, 700w Oil heater with circulation clip fan above.
PH is a steady 5.8 and my EC is at 1.5 with a background of 0.2 
Air Temps are between 28 and 20 at lights off, with humidity around 40%, Water temps are naturally between 23-25
Im using the West Sussex Ferro range of neuts, using the GROW at the mo along with the Enzyme +, Bio Crop & Bio Roots,,, all at the recommended amounts as per Ferro.

Any help, advice, criticism is welcome and massively appreciated! 

Not sure how to post pics on here, could anyone share a how to link?

Cheers...

Hi bud,

I would be looking at the roots, with res temps and nutrient strength a tad on the high side, plus the overwatering,  there could be some root rot,

If the roots are clean, then lower the nutrient strength by about half and drop the temps to between 18 and 20c, see if they respond to that.

Check your airpump is actually blowing air, mine was making noise and doing nothing.......cost me dear,.....

Plenty of dissolved oxygen in the nutes is essential and just those few degrees change in temps will massively increase it

5 people like this

On 01/01/2018 at 1:44 PM, stu914 said:

Hi bud,

I would be looking at the roots, with res temps and nutrient strength a tad on the high side, plus the overwatering,  there could be some root rot,

If the roots are clean, then lower the nutrient strength by about half and drop the temps to between 18 and 20c, see if they respond to that.

Check your airpump is actually blowing air, mine was making noise and doing nothing.......cost me dear,.....

Plenty of dissolved oxygen in the nutes is essential and just those few degrees change in temps will massively increase it

Thanks for the advice OG, it was root rot all along! I hadn't wanted to pull the pots fully out of there positions in the wilma as i didn't wanna break their roots but after reading yours and Bazzos posts i thought fuck it what do i have to loose and tore everything apart to have a proper look. Surfice to say i caught it just in time as the were on the brink of death.

So ive managed to deal with it with some help from my local friendly grow shop that happend to have some under the counter agricultural grade potion thats worked a treat! Roots are all back to life and looking clear and healthy and growth up top is all good,, well i say all good but there has been a catalogue of errors since leaving the ladies with some very obvious war wounds but generally speaking they have bounced back a goodun.

However,, and theres a big but coming,,, BUT the PH seams to have a mind all of its own and by that i mean its constantly climbing! Im having to PH down it twice a day to keep it anywhere near 5.8. I thought it may be the Ferro Grow neuts that we were using but its carried on since ive flipped to Bloom and gone 12/12. I made sure i gave the Wilma res a good scrub and rinse before going over to the Bloom and cant figure out whats causing it?!?! Any ideas OG?? 

Anyways gunna pop a post up see what i get back as this forum has been invaluable so far!

Thanks ever so much for responding as quick as you did OG,, really saved my bacon! ;)

2 people like this

On 1/1/2018 at 1:39 PM, bazzo said:

Led... 600w only £108..  (draws about 250w) and will outlast any standard light by years.

No offence mate but that simply isnt true.

You have no experience of any other lighting other than what your using and they have only done 1 grow so far...under 1000hrs lol

As it happens im using the same sodium bulbs that i have been using for about 8 years of constant use.

They seem to be performing as well as when they were new.(yeilding 20+ oz of primo per 1.2sq)

Oh,and they havent set on fire in all that time either...

If your panels are still performing in a couple of years then maybe you could start making such statements.

4 people like this

44 minutes ago, samokybacon said:

OG,

?? who dat ??

:ermm:

1 person likes this

Just now, stu914 said:

?? who dat ??

:ermm:

Old Goat!

2 people like this

1 minute ago, samokybacon said:

Old Goat!

LOL,, sorry @Stu914,,, i was looking at your pic and had it in my head that was your name you went by!!!:skin_up:

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, samokybacon said:

Old Goat!

:rofl:

1 minute ago, samokybacon said:

LOL,, sorry @Stu914,,, i was looking at your pic and had it in my head that was your name you went by!!!:skin_up:

lol.......just testing bud.........lol

I've been called a fecking sight worse........lol

2 people like this

Hi @samokybacon

You can put pics up in your profile - go there and select the albums tab, then just follow instructions - give me a shout if yah get stuck!!

Hope you pull things back mate, all the more chance of that with @stu914 watching your back! :v:

1 person likes this

@bazzo just wanted to say thanks for you initial reply mate, made me check those roots and alas all became clear! Gotta say fella that you have done a stella job with your garden, you've proper smashed it outta the park, props where props due!!!:smokin:

1 person likes this

So ive just read that air stones could be the source of my PH issues! Any one have any more info on this??

In a nutshell when i had root rot i decided to mod my wilma slightly and drill loads of holes in my Wilma lid/pot base to increase the air/water flow and put a round airstone in each of the existing central holes so each pot had its own.

Ive since learnt that my EC has been running high due to converting to a more DWC set up so ive got it now at 1.0 with a background of 0.4

Water temp is 17 lights off and 20 lights on. Room temp is 24/25 lights on and around 17 lights off.

PH is constantly on the move up raising 0.3 every 9hrs or so,, any ideas or knowledge massively welcomed!

City and guilds lol

@stu914 just wondering if i could ask your advice?

Ive gone and got a small Hailea low power pump for my res as still having a total mare with the PH constantly on the climb.

Where is it best in your opinion to place the pump? above the water line for maximum surface disruption? or beneath for more movement in the res?

Or is it best to have two, one doing each of the above? 

Ive gone with a low power one as i only have a 35ltr res and it should circulate the full contense every 7 mins or so, should i have gone bigger?

Re the air stones that are currently there is it best to remove them completely or would it be a good idea to just remove the stones first and leave the tubes on the go, bubbling away? 

Gunna get some pics up this eve just before lights on so you can have a proper gander at the garden.

Cheers

Hola Amigo,,

@bazzo can ask mate what your doing for air/water circulation in your Wilmas? Air stones? Are you using a pump? if so how powerful?