Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

FARMER G

Plant Training

Good morning 420 and happy new years eve :) 

Now I thought I would start a thread on these little training clips called "bends" this is what they look like...

large.20171229_181321.jpglarge.20171229_181326.jpg

A friend used these around 7/8 years back and he swore by them for training the plants the thing is since he used them then moved country I never seen them displayed again until the other week so thought I would snag a bag and at a £5 I thought why not ill give em a try ! :) 

They fully extend to a straight shape to stick the stems in I found I have to do this on the thicker branches where the thinner branches will bend and slot into the shape of the bend with ease and they stay there quite nicely. You get 50 in a packet so there is plenty for a grow the size the majority have so no need to get more than one packet, They were really easy to use here they are after a clipped a few onto a B-Line mother plant...

large.20171230_183255.jpglarge.20171230_183306.jpg

They would be brilliant for the newer grower who needs to train and bend but are unsure of topping and supper-cropping these practically eliminate all concerns that crop up in regards to the training methods mentioned. 

Great little tools in a massively gimmicky market, Yes I know some will say there is no need for them but I think there pretty cool :yinyang:

Farmer 

17 people like this

Clever little things. Gives the benefit of a screen with a free standing plant. I do think that they wouldn't do much to slow down a stretchy plant and i doubt that one little right angled bend would be enough to make the plant put out new lower shoots. 

I would crush the stem the whole length of the stem that sits in the contraption. Then it would grow back a super strong and long knuckle that would be super delivery points for the plants. 

10p each is cheap enough to have hundreds of the fuckers. 

You could grow a plant in a spiral with enough of them.

Lovely find

zz

4 people like this

I tried some of these on my 1st or second grow...wasn't really sure what I was doing but they worked. The advice I found online  was not to leave them on too long, 2 weeks, or they could dig in to the stem .

Cheers

4 people like this

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, zztopbudz said:

I would crush the stem the whole length of the stem that sits in the contraption. Then it would grow back a super strong and long knuckle that would be super delivery points for the plants.

Hi mate , Is that also known as the kyle kushman tech ? ive seen him a few years back I think twist and split the stems so they do exactly what you have said and form a knuckle and grow back stronger and thicker...never practiced the method though obviously super-cropping I have done over the years which also causes that knuckle effect.

@sroporilshoot - Nice one mate and yes that was my thoughts upon fixing them on too nice one for the input :yep:

A couple of shots of the bends in action and what the have achieved on this little test...

large.20180102_180407.jpg

Now I know this has only created a small bend in the stem but these are bonsai mothers so I didn't have much room to bend with as this was just a little test to see how they performed. In the mother training thread somebody posted the bends in work on larger plants and they will flatten your screen quite well :) so pop over to thee sub forum and have a little look if you wish to see this on a larger plant. These could work really well for some people thy might not be the way forward for some , I will be trying them out on the next cycle to see if I can keep a lower profile of the overall crop.

Farmer 

4 people like this

I like the idea of them and might have to give them a go. 

I find watering can be awkward with lots of ties around the pot. This would solve that problem nicely :yep:

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

@FarmerG Cheers man.  I found the packet I have, I'm thinking I'll use a few on the 2 plants I have on the go ( Dinafem Early Amneasia CBD). The plants have been topped twice and lst'd and are fairly squat, 1 week in to 12/12. 

large.P1060074.JPG

I hadn't gave the bends a thought until I saw your post. This is my 3rd grow so still finding the way kinda. If I could please ask:

Would I be able to use these during the stretch period for some unruly stems or would it be best to wait until the stretch finishes and use them instead of super cropping? 

Cheers ATB

Edited by sroporilshoot
2 people like this

@tigseyjnr another point I never thought of and what a good point at that ! having them ties can be a right pain if you have to stretch in for it :yinyang:

Farmer

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@sroporilshoot - I would seek out the early risers and use the bends around 8/10" from the growing tip tbis will allow the side shoots on the main shoot also grow into tops. 

Ideally they have more purpose with fast growing sativa hybrid strains that need taimingbut I can't see why they wouldn't work for all plants in some way :)

Farmer

Edited by FARMER G
to add
2 people like this

Thanks @FarmerG  These are 65% sativa so I'm hoping for a fair bit of stretch.  Cheers for the info, much appreciated.

No worries mate :)

AS someone previously stated in the thread removal.of these bends must be gentle as you don't want unwanted snappages.

Farmer

2 people like this

if you don't want a full 90 degree bend you can cut a, or as many sections off, leaving you with a smaller bend :cowboy:

1 person likes this