Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

badbillybob

vertical HPS, and tree growers use this

23 posts in this topic

helloha my fellow herbalists, 

I was just sitting here thinking about lighting set ups. 

If/ when I start again I was looking at doing less plants, but much bigger.

Last time I did a biggie in hydro, it outgrew the tent, and I ended up using my lights vertically. These were  2 x 600s with adjustawings on their vertical axis, with the lamp holder at the bottom.

What I did notice was the increase in yield, (26 odd ounce from one plant, 4/5 week veg-cant remember)  with zero crappy wispy buds lower down the plant.

So I was thinking about doing the same next time. so having say 4 trees with 4 x 600HPS on their sides, and turning the plants every few days

I reckon id need 3 metres square floor area for this

Obviously I would need more room, and I imagine the heat would be a bit higher (tho I don't remember this being the case when I did it last)

I remember Heath Robinsons hydro grows were using verts on flip flop timers, and of course the Canadian tree surgeon Remo uses verts.

Has anyone grown like this before, and what was your verdict?

id probably do better with a scrog, but its not good on my poor knackered back

@badbillybob

Check out ZZtopbudz' work mate...outstanding stuff :yep:

6 people like this

I started out in 1995 growing continuously with separate veg and flower areas each with four, 4 foot fluoresents mounted vertically in the centre facing out.

It suited the lanky skunk#1 pheno I was growing, but it was difficult to use the space efficiently when the plants were small :)

I used to vent passively into my roofspace too  :blushing:

Looking forward to reading ZZtopbudz's posts :)

Edited by cultivateur
3 people like this

Here's the diary that @botanics is referring to. Serious gold well worth a proper read roll a couple of fat ones and enjoy

5 people like this

@badbillybob sounds good.  I've always been fascinated by vertical grows.

I think you'd do better with the same gross wattage but using 400w lamps instead.  Just a hunch though.

By the way you've f#cked your post up pretty badly.  I think you'll find there is an unnecessary 'if' .  Third sentence down.  First word.

;)

5 people like this

aye, you're right, who am I kidding eh? ive already bought half the stuff to replace the gear the  arseholes stole from me

I had a look at the vert thread and it looks like zztopbudz has definitely made the most of his space, and I like the idea of the vert scrog..

I was also looking at a few of the Canadian grows, and noticed some of them had the HPS on verts and they also had metal halides above the canopy, in parabolics - for trich production. at a rate of 2:1 Hps to MH

Think id need a 9 foot ceiling height for that tho, but it would be epic.

anyone ever run flip flop timers, these seem like a great idea, you can run 2 lights off the one ballast, say one lamp on  for  2hrs on one side of the plant and another lamp on for 2 hrs on the other side of the plant Switching back and forth thru the flowering 12 hrs.

You want to see the yields that he got using this, well impressive. I'm no cash cropper, but reckon I might get away with one grow a year doing this......er.......maybe......

Edited by badbillybob

love it when a thread pops up about something ive been researching ;)

ive been reading up on vertical vs horizontal  a lot lately and the yanks call what your talking about a 'stadium' grow where you run the hid no reflector,vertically in the centre and have them in a circle around it

for me i was interested in them saying temps are better with no reflector and vertical plus they get light all the way down so no wispy shit,i will try it myself probably sometime next year myself

it seems at the least, vertical will increase yield substantially,you saying it too confirms for me what the yanks where saying online.

H4rdc0r3

3 people like this

Just bought the kit I need to do this will run a diary after my current run is down just want to see what happens to the yeild I'll be more than quadrupling my canopy area logic would state I should see a significant increase. 

Fingers crossed 

4 people like this

Whats the plan NezA? are you doing verts or flip flops, or what?

you must have a decent space to work with have you?

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

Whats the plan NezA? are you doing verts or flip flops, or what?

you must have a decent space to work with have you?

So I'm going to set it up like @zztopbudz have a vert scrog screen lining the walls and hang 2 315w CMHs in the middle it's a 0.9x0.9m space with a height of 1.85m so thats 0.81m2 of canopy at the moment. 

If I move to a vertical scrog let's say I have 1 x 0.9m of usable wall space (- pots filter etc) x 3 walls that's 2.7m2 of canopy if I add a door plant like zz has that's 3.6m2! But it will probably be more than that that's going with a conservative 1m high wall I have more than that so will probably use it. 

3 people like this

I'm seriously thinking about it, have been for a while and after seeing ZZ's work even more so, he's smashing this system now fair play...only thing I have to work out is, how I'm going to incorporate a perpetual thing with it...

The idea so far is to line three sides of my box like ZZ and hang the bulb in the centre, two plants at the rear of the box and one each side, tying them into the screen after a couple of weeks in their final pots in my veg box and then tying all the stretch to the screens...so not a full on vert scrog, halfway house kind of thing...will get some mesh when the cheap stores get their spring stuff back in, in the new year and give it a go as it looks very productive :v:

4 people like this

18 minutes ago, botanics said:

I'm seriously thinking about it, have been for a while and after seeing ZZ's work even more so, he's smashing this system now fair play...only thing I have to work out is, how I'm going to incorporate a perpetual thing with it...

The only thing that puts me off is not being able to pull plants out to give them the once over but I figure I'll give it a bash and see how I get on. 

If I get good results then it will be worth it. It's about time I started to experiment a little. 

2 people like this

this is the sort of set up I was thinking about, 

start them in big bubblers or rdwc large.vikings.jpg

then have the lighting vertically either on constant or flip flopslarge.shit1.jpg

and if you look at the bottom pic, you can see the rock hard nugs all the way from top to toelarge.heath-robinson-tree-grow.jpg

then simply crop the lot and swin in a sea of lovely bud for at least 6 months, with only 3 or 4 plants and a couple of extra weeks veg.

no?

2 people like this

those last 2 pics look like good example of a multiple bulb 'stadium' setup @badbillybob,anyone else vert'ing it up on uk420?

this is a good topic of discussion,if it has been talked before im sure any links will be welcome.

H4rdc0r3.

1 person likes this

Anyone else remember @Owderb's cube grow?

Done a quick search but cant find it? Got a link for it owd?

Don't think i dreamt it :wacko:

I didn't make it up though :yep:

It wasn't owd. Sorry mate. It was @Budelaire

Epic :magic:

Edited by tigseyjnr
update it
5 people like this