Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hashcity

New ballast intermittent buzzing

Hi everyone.. I bought a new 600 ballast (parbright)  supposed to be like maxibright.. Well it keeps giving off a 4-5 seconds bursts of buzzzzz every couple of minutes!  Anyone have a clue as to what's happening and could it be dangerous.. It doesn't happen every day though..very strange and annoying at night, for her anyway! 

maybe a lose connection inside mate.

is it a magnetic ballast? before I swapped to digital my mag ballasts used to buzz quite badly, It could just be normal....

1 person likes this

if its under warranty id send it back myself.

Sounds like its not gonna last long, they aint meant to buzz

2 people like this

Mine buzz too and rattle, they’re the resin block type, had them for about a decade and have yet to let me down, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Edited by Laphroaig
2 people like this

Yeah mine's a resin block "magnetic"  ballast.. I had an old one that rattled but that got thrown out.. I'm gonna take it back and get an ipac white metal casing ballast instead can't be too careful with electric and stuff like that,  safety has to be paramount ..Gonna get some cmh when I've saved up though.. But until then the magnetic ballasts will have to do. Thanks for the advice everyone! 

1 person likes this

I didn't take the ballast back..I had a good think about it all and decided it was something to do with the timer as it was buzzing every minute being very precise so i unplugged it and had a play with the timer (segmental)  and turned it around the dial a few times.  Then plugged it all back in. The buzzing stopped until the last couple of days!  So I'm going to get a new timer me tinks!  It must be something mechanical or some sort of switch thing in the timer manifesting itself as a buzz every minute in the ballast...

If anyone has any advice about switching and the harmonics they produce I'd be very happy to hear it! Cheers! 

Edited by Hashcity
Add on..

That sounds like rf interference mate just knock up a quick Faraday cage...

;)