Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

icmoon

If to flush, when to flush?

Hi Chaps.

I'm nearing the end of my first ever grow it's been a steep but enjoyable learning curve for me.

I'm trying to figure out when to flush my plants (I now have clear trichomes and 75% of pistels are now brown). What I really am trying to find out is if I start to flush too early will this affect my 'yeild', will giving them simple RO water adjusted to pH 5.8 - 6.2 stop any more bud/trichome growth? plus will the trichs turn cloudy or amber whilst being fed just water?

I'll try & post some pics on here later to show where I'm at, but I think it's week 20 for this first grow.

Sorry if it seems a bit of a garbled question but I can't find any good info on this subject.

Respect, as always

Cmoon

1 person likes this

Normally I use General Hydroponics Ripen when the pistels are 50% dying off, give them a week on that to (hopefully) squeeze out a bit more bud/resin, and flush with Canna flush for 3 days before harvest. I think it tastes better and has a bit more weight. No idea about the trichome stuff, way over my head and surprised to hear someone on their first grow going so deeply into the science of growing good bud, but good luck with the crop.

1 person likes this

Only the ever grown organics, so know nothing of flushing but as checking trics takes 2 minutes with a £5 pocket 'scope you'd be mad not to IMHO. 

1 person likes this

Hi icmoon what r u feeding them n how many weeks in 12/12 cos 20 weeks must b from birth cos that's long for flower lol have u gave them any pk what u growing in then I'll stick me neck out n try to answer u with something that might b of some assistance would hate to give u bad advice on ur first grow but to answer one question u asked yes flushing to early can really hurt ur yeild flavour n stone quality it can't b rushed or u will regret it I've done it many times when u think it's done give it a week longer to make sure lol

2 people like this

Pah! 20 weeks flowering is  when you start praying that this fuckin' sat is gonna finish. ;)

4 people like this

Hiya Baba, Muppet & smokey, Thanks for your input.

I'll try & give a brief log of my grow, might give you an idea where I'm coming from.

9 seedlings, 5 White Label Super Skunk photos, 2 bubba hash autos and two freebies of which I don't have a clue.

Small tent (very small tent) 2 x 2 x 6ft ......(I told you I had no idea)

Growing in Coco Coir & pearlight.

Under 1 250 watt halide plus two viper LED units (supposedly 300 watt equivilents).

I was going to use RO water all through but my unit failed at the start and now (don't laugh) I've been using nothing except plain bottled water from Asda!  Bloody expensive but hey it worked!

I fed CalMag at the beginning but noticed the bought water from Asda had these in it so I quit adding it.

+ Coco A.

+ Coco B.

1st 15 weeks also Canna Veg.

last 5 weeks also Canna Florres.

One week into flowering Canna PK 13/14  for one week only.

I'm in week 20 from seedling to now.

15 weeks in veg mode.

5 weeks in flowering.

Feed brought to pH5.8 for every feed (once every two or three days).

From botton of pot to top of remaining 4 plants is almost 6ft  The ones under the LED's are the smallest just for the record.

It was like the bloody Brazillian rain forest in my kitchen & my wife was giving me hell, so I passed on four nice plants to a very happy man!

.....Had to raise the tent to 8 ft as the triffids were getting rather big. They were not all autos (two were & they are now curing in jars) but it taught me a lesson.

I'd never heard of 'General Hydroponics Ripen' baba but I'll look into that, cheers. I've also got one of those lil scopes Muppet, they are great for looking at Trichs. And Smokey I hope this helps you for any info about flushing, buddy. Any info will be appreciated, I don't wanna mess up now.

Talking of messing up I have to admit to plenty of cock-ups on this 1st grow.

First was the tent- At 5ft it was never going to be big or high enough.

I had temps of 110F during the days I was ill

I burnt the leaves black when they really started to grow and I was ill. Thankfully I had a timer on the lights and a timer on the night heater. BUT. The plants were almost touching the lights

I cut all the top four inches of all the plants with a pair of scissors. I gave some away as I said and moved one plant outside the tent which left me with 3 inside.

They wouldn't stop growing so I had to bend some branches over,....tie some down,.... and do all sorts just to keep them in the bloody tent.

I think that's about it.

I have just looked closely at the plants and have lolipopped them all because it was so cramped that the lower leaves were very brittle and just fell off when I touched them so I cut all the lowest branches off.

Interestingly the one plant that lives outside the tent is the most advanced.....Has the most amber pistels, the most suger/Trichs where the others are still with white pistels completely. This one plant I just put a thick black bin liner over it at night and it seems to be doing fine.

I have made SO many mistakes on my intro to growing your own but all the plants now look real healthy.  As I said earlier I don't/can't smoke so with this first four plants I'm going to make tinctures with 2 and use dry-ice on the other 2.

Thank again so much for your help and support, I don't think I could have done it without you guys..........Time for a whiskey, single malt of course.

Respect as always

Cmoon

I assume you are growing in coco, since you are using coco A and coco B ? But why are you also using the Canna veg and Canna Flores ? They are hydro feeds, bit confused really, also the PK 13/14 should be used for one week only, after they have stopped stretching during the initial flowering phase (2-3 weeks), Canna have all this info on their website, and also on the feed instructions. Less is more where feeds are concerned, unless you are growing in DWC which can use a lot more nutrients than a normal hydro system. Do you have a nutrient wand to measure the E.C. ?

Edited by coconut baba
1 person likes this

Hi @icmoon, imo flushing in coco is all down to how much you have been feeding during flower, do you have a nice healthy glossy leaves full of stored nutrients of yellowing hungry plants?

I tend to keep my ec low and taper it down towards the end with 10-14 days plain water.

In the future I wouldn't bother  with perlite in your coco it's just not needed, dump the bottled water for tap and use coco specific nutrients.

i wouldn't pk at all unless your plants are asking for it and I would stay clear off flushing agents.

good luck getting over the finish line dude

2 people like this

Hi icmoon yer defo ditch the bottles water not needed at all n canna a+b is all u need the other feeds r hydro feeds a bit of pk is ok but it's really toxic stuff so watch with it and with out looking into the flowering times of them strains witch sorry I just can't b arsed with doing but what the seed provider says add a week at least then the last ten days to two weeks is when u want to flush with just plain water forget the flushing agents there also nasty shit thats there for commercial growers n we r all here for the love of the plant n love mine I do there me baby's n I wouldn't give them shit like that no not me 

1 person likes this

Hey, Thanks guys for your input. .....You really mean that I didn't need the Canna Terra & Terra Flores if I was using Coco A and B ?  (many thanks to Golf and smokey bear)

Wish I'd found this site earlier!

Yay Golf, this finishing line keeps moving (Achilles and the tortoise?)  seems to be going faster into the distance & I'm having trouble keeping up.  I started with nine (very mixed seeds thanks to the misses) but am now down to three. I gave three plants (more like bloody trees) away because I outgrew my tent quickly two were autos, now in jars curing leaving me the three plants which I have now.  I think it is week 24-ish so coming on 6 months.

I agree with all these different strains & shit, all I know is one of my remaining 3 is basically one main thick branch with buds on it and the other two have many branches. The 'tall' one is showing cloudy trichs and I just broke the top 8 inches clean off pulling down the shutter down anyway so it looks like she's done & ready.

The last two seem to be growing loads and loads of buds, they've gone crazy but there are no signs as yet of them near the finishing line. They are about five feet tall and have loads of trichomes but the pistels are all still white.  Now my question is (bearing in mind I am groing in Coco Coir and perlight 25%) what nutrients do I feed them when using RO water?  Should I add calcium & magnesium (Calmag) and just Canna's Coco Florres and then just get the ph in order?  Is that enough? The buds are growing so fast and thick I don't want to do anything that might halt their production.  They need nutrients don't they?

Anyway, thanks for your input I always appreciate it.  I will try & post some pics soon.

With respect

Cmoon '81'

Att this stage just the coco florres is sufficient.

Plenty of air moving around the bigger buds and i assume your extracting?

I wait until most hairs are brown and no new white hairs coming then plain water for last week or 2.

Ok thanks for that Stu.  I'm not extracting in any way really I just have one big fan at the entrance of the tent going side to side and one static fan at the back (top) blowing down against that. The door front is left mostly open.

So no Calmag then?  And would you use tap water over RO water?

Cheers

Crucially you need a proper extraction fan and carbon filter set up. You are very lucky you haven't already been bust due to stinking the place up! Environment is everything, you can feed them the purest water and the "best nutrients" money can buy but without proper extraction you'll still be growing pond weed :yinyang: 

5 people like this