Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kilgore trout

how many plants under 300 watts hps

Hi all,

i am growing 2 sweets seeds sweet cheese in 5 litre pots of compost with 5 ml per litre soil bloom plant magic every two waters under 300 watt hps, but my tent is abit small and its getting rather damp and crowded in there.  I was wondering whether i should dispose of the one plant and just keep the nicest, would i really gain much in yeild with two plants instead of one in such a situation.. they are 1 week into flower. i have a nice big fan and carbon filter, but its crowded around the inakes so getting air in is a problem, so i need more space actually around the plant for airflow.

thanks all

moranity

How big is your grow space and where the dickens did you find a 300w hps? 

Let's not forget as a rule we aim for a gpw. 

Even half of that figure is gonna be dammed hard to hit with one plant in a 5l pot.

2 people like this

I'm curious about the 300w lamp?! 2 x 150 perhaps?  Any how sounds like a good clean up of bottom growth might be the way forward.  It's called lollipoping, forgive me if you're aware of the technique.  If not give it a search.

It might clear the intakes a bit and encourage top growth.   One week in is a good time to do this.

Good luck 

Hi Blackpoolbouncer,

it is two 150 watts stuck under one reflector, the tent is one i rigged up from a broken grow tent and some shelving, its around 1.2 m tall by 50 cm by 120 cm ish, the rvk(sp) fan and carbon filter take up a third of the space, so i only have enough room for two plants aswell as the fan, i did have three, but it was too much by far, couldn't get around to water etc...

lol i am only aiming for 0.5 gram a watt, as im very new at this (had a massive break and autos of quality were not available back when i was growing) and my plan is to be one plant in a bigger pot, eventually, or maybe drift off to photo-periodic ones as i get more relaxed about things, anyhows, i just need 6 ounces every grow, so im not fussy...

but it seems keep the two gives me more chance of the 6 ounces, due to present pot size, thanks for the advice, Blackpoolbouncer.

Hi Phoenix,

indeed @ two 150s with digital ballasts, i was growing in a tiny area with one, then i upgraded teehee

With the lower growth removal, shall i remove first two? three nodes? ive done three nodes on last ones i've grown and felt it was abit over the top, but thats OK is it? thanks Phoenix

you wanna take off the lower branches that arent reaching the canopy enough and wont amount to much,you can leave the ones that just barely make it to the canopy if you want its upto you completely how far down/up you can take it and also running your thumb and finger from about 3/4 of the way down the stem whilst holding the top to remove all the popcorn from the stalks leaving enough for one big cola on each

some go more extreme in veg but i didnt take too much off this one but you should end up with something looking like these pics at the bottom half which should help with the airflow alot too.

keep them both.

atb,H4rdc0r3.

large.IMG_1349.JPGlarge.IMG_1341.JPG

Edited by H4rdc0r3

Personally I'm not a lollipop person myself but many advocate it.  Have a read through some auto diaries for a heads up.   Blackpoolbouncers diaries are the best place to start and most likely finish too.

Best of luck trout!

2 plants lst'd with each plant having 50x60cm in 11l pots should without any effort give you well over your 0.5gpw.

You say you are in 5l. It's not really advisable to pot up from that size pot because of the short veg time, by the time you transplant your root production is starting to slow. I advocate a 0.5l pot for ten days and then into 10-whatever size pot. Missing the inbetween pot up.

Surely in that space you shouldn't be struggling for space with two plants especially in 5l pots? 

Hi H4rdc0r3,

Thanks for the details, i have removed two nodes worth of lower growth and will tidy up abit more, but i've not seen that technique exactly.

That's completely the opposite to next to no pruning for autos that i'd read previously.

I thought i was being severe removing the first three nodes, which i may do again.

thanks for the advice

Hi Blackpoolbouncer,

i'd be happy with the amount of space if i could get a good lot of air movement, i was mainly worried because things were getting damp on the tent walls, which led me to think that there's a lack of air movement. I'm really only used to growing one plant in a tall narrow box, which has always had awesome air flow through it.  Having this much room and the fact this tent is nowhere near "air tight", so i can't be sure where the air is coming in, is making me worried about lack of airflow.  It's a cheap tent from amazon (thats hilariously leaky both air and light wise, but serves my humble purpose for unfussy autos), that i've picked apart and wrapped around some metal shelving that fits perfectly into a cubbyhole in my bedroom, with a curtain to hide it all.  It all fitted asthough it was meant to be teehee.  I've been happy to get two ounces off one plant on 150 watts, so this is all abit high powered for me, i'm starting to panic.

I have removed the first two nodes on both plants, it looks abit more breezy in there.

So i could hope for 10 ounces off 2 auto plants under 300 watts in 11l pots, could i sprout the seeds in those 11 litre pots, like i do with the 5 litre ones? Is nice not to pot up at all.

and the plants have to fit under the two bulbs crammed together under the one reflector due to lack of reflectors, two is ok, but one big plant would be much neater.

thanks Blackpoolbouncer

and thank you for your comments of support Phoenix

Best of luck

;)

@kilgore trout ill put my hands up,i didn't see anything mentioned about auto or photo or that it was in the auto section so i assumed they where photoperiods with their being only 2 and concerns of space/airflow,to be honest i havent removed anything off autos that ive done before,just let them go natural with some LST and defoliation for light penetration,just photoperiods ive lollipopped.

they say autos are best left alone like you read but i dont think it will have too adverse effect tho but i wouldn't take anymore off just incase,i would just strip the popcorn from the bottom unless you want it for hash or whatever since it will be in recovery mode already might as well.

sorry about that bro,my bad:(

H4rdc0r3.

Edited by H4rdc0r3
apologies

No harm done, H4rdc0r3, l han't removed more than the first two nodes of stems

1 person likes this