Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bazil brush

315 cmh failing

29 posts in this topic

@BarrySHitPeas is it normal for the capsule to be black? i was going to try to fire it again, my opuntia is getting cold.

@bazil brush

Its not normal for the bulb to be black, although from what i remember Either talking to @Joint hoggeror @Golden Syrup the black stuff in the bulb will basically sort itself out (best to ask them to confirm that ),but thats not the real problem the problem in my opinion is that piece of copper thats missing.

I'd personally advise not turning it on in its current order.(it probably wont fire up anyway )

I cant remember exactly what i did diagnostics wise , but i do remember changing out the ballast first and it didn't do much and as i had 2 out of 4 bulbs and it happened to both id say probably not the bulbs which is why i dont like the daylight reflectors that being said most have had no issues with them.

1 person likes this

@bazil brush If its similar to Barrys pics

gallery_94416_11658_48263.jpeg

then the lamps not been fully clicked into place,, most folk who have had problems usually stop turning the lamp when they feel resistance,

not realizing that they still need to give the lamp another slight turn to click the lamp in place, as for the pieces of metal, they've broken off

the retaining spring clip inside the ceramic lamp holder, I've got two of the same lamp holders that are on the daylight reflectors & I haven't

had any problems with them when I used them, though I know to take my time clipping them in.

if the reflector is relatively new then I'd be sending it back for a refund if its possible, your ballast will probably be fine but you wont know until

you fire it back up, I'd also fire up the lamp to see if t fires, if it does, I think the black residue burns off, cant remember the exact term but @Golden Syrup

is the man to ask as he's got a better memory than me  lol

gallery_94416_11658_87851.jpeg

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

when they feel resistance,

not realizing that they still need to give the lamp another slight turn to click the lamp in place, as for the pieces of metal, they've broken off

the retaining spring clip inside the ceramic lamp holder

I'll add this here as we're on about it, but I recently got some new LEC reflectors and they no longer have the retaining spring inside them like the old LEC reflectors do and the maxi daylight/horizon reflectors. Just a heads up for anyone, I nearly broke a lamp before realizing lol 

*edit* I missed the tag sorry! The blackening is because the salts don't heat up properly so they like condense as that black stuff on the inside of the ceramic arc ball thing, soon as its cooled down and ignited properly the salts inside the lamp do their thing properly and turn into that plasma stuff. Science lol 

Edited by Golden Syrup
8 people like this

@Golden Syrup In the day I read a lot about how MH slowly lost output and the spectrum drifting if lit continuously for more than 24 hrs, while this was not a problem for industrial lighting it was pretty bad for plants. I have not seen anything about CMH on continues use spectrum stability and light output, I know you have contacts in the industry, further information on this would be really good to know for future reference.

6 people like this

@oldtimer1 Leave it with me and I will get in touch with Maxigrow. In the very least I will shoot an email to cycloptics in the US, they worked with philips and the university of wisconsin (iirc) on the 930 agro lamp so I suspect they should know.

8 people like this

Calling maxibright was more or less useless they don't know the answer to the question. I looked at the philips website on the safety and tech PDFs on their website, and basically like any lamp the longer you run it the quicker the spectral output and PPF drops off. The question still begs, can you run a 315w on 24/7? The answer is NO. CMH lamps operate at extremely high temps, leaving them turned on 24/7 for months on end can cause the lamp to become too hot and rupture which is pretty dangerous as there is a vacuum inside the lamp which causes an implosion - lots of flying shards of glass.

In terms of actual spectral output and stuff, of course leaving them on 24/7 causes drop off but then so does running them on any light cycle 24/7 just gets you there quicker, but 24/7 doesn't make any sense as plants need a dark cycle and your lamp needs to cool down. 

7 people like this

well darnit, im on 18 6 now, liked the warmth of 24 7, dont sound safe though, thanks man!

@Golden Syrup

Although I run 24/0, I don't leave it on for months at at time. Couple days (as in 3-4 at time up till a week.

Would you still see this personally as potentially dangerous ? Or is it more if you never turn it off ? Is an hour enough for it to cool ?

I run autos and they really do appreciate the consistently of 24/0 but of coarse that's not as important as safety.

How long does the equipment need off a day /weekly basis ,? would you estimate  ? I'm not holding you to account and understand it's purely a estimation.

Just don't like the sound of an implosion of hot glass scenario. But still want to run as many hours as I can. and appreciate you don't know where the line is and are trying to find out .

1 hour ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

Although I run 24/0, I don't leave it on for months at at time. Couple days (as in 3-4 at time up till a week.

Would you still see this personally as potentially dangerous ? Or is it more if you never turn it off ? Is an hour enough for it to cool ?

It is potentially dangerous, probably not as much as we think considering its got an outer protective glass envelope to help mitigate some of that implosion but lets just look past the safety issue for a second. 

Running your lamps continually isn't good for the lamp life, ppf output, or spectral output, nor is it good for your plant irrespective of whether its a photoperiod plant or not, just because it will flower under any photoperiod doesn't mean it doesn't need a dark period... no cannabis that grows anywhere in the world gets 24/0. Why would you want to run your lights 24/0? It genuinely doesn't make any sense to me at all. 

Edited by Golden Syrup
5 people like this

@Golden Syrup Thanks for answering.

57 minutes ago, Golden Syrup said:

Why would you want to run your lights 24/0?

To keep a consistent environment at this time of year, without having to pay for external heating.

@BarrySHitPeas Your thinking may be false economy! Quick maths:

your 315w draws about 340w all in from the wall so - 0.34kw x 4 hours = 1.36kw. 

A heaters only task is making heat where as your lamp makes light too, so it's going to do a better job at heating your room so a 600w heater you could run for 2 hours (30 mins of every hour of the 4 hour dark period, residual heat for 30 mins)  of 4 hours, and this would cost less to run than your light does in those 4 hours :yinyang: 

2 people like this

@Golden Syrup That's not taking into account the energy i put into my plants is helping them grow bigger then they would otherwise do if i had the light off and heating on ? Go on the auto section and try and find someone that doesn't use/advocate 24/0. i fear I'm not alone in this.

I do value your opinion otherwise i wouldn't of asked you, i also value safety so i will make changes thanks to you and @oldtimer1for making me aware of the potential dangers of running 24/0.

Better dust of the oil rad . 

2 people like this

im glad this convo happened......thanks evryone.

1 person likes this