Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Superlemonjay

Multiple air stomes in bubbler bucket?

Please excuse the silly question i'' just getting started my first grow.

i have 25 litre buckets and intend to do3/4 plants, 1 per bucket. 

I've acquired an air pump that can give up to 60 litres a minute with a 10 outlet manifold on it.

so, rather than overwhelming my airstones with too much air, is there any reason i couldn't put two per bucket? 

@Superlemonjay yeah not a problem mate I sometimes use 2 :yep:

1 person likes this

I used to use 2 per tote too, worked well.

1 person likes this

2 per bucket is fine on the last 2 outlets you can just run a small length of air tube between them and close them off if there's no taps on them 

2 people like this

Thanks all!

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Superlemonjay said:

Please excuse the silly question i'' just getting started my first grow.

i have 25 litre buckets and intend to do3/4 plants, 1 per bucket. 

I've acquired an air pump that can give up to 60 litres a minute with a 10 outlet manifold on it.

so, rather than overwhelming my airstones with too much air, is there any reason i couldn't put two per bucket? 

Well the main way an air stone airrates water is by causing ripples and increasing the surface area of the water so the more you can agitate the surface the better! 

3 people like this

You need to look at how much lpm the stones can provide and then work out if your pump can supply what is needed. Ie to big an airstone is not going to out put what is required if your pump can't provide it. 

Edited by tokenroll

I use 4 golfball airstones, 2 on each ehiem 400 airpump, in 12 ltrs dwc.........now that does work.......:yes:

As already said, it's the water movement at the surface rather than the bubbles that oxygenate......:yes:

:oldtoker:

3 people like this

Hi guys,

so whats the recommended air pump output for let`s say 20L bucket? and which air stone is best ?

On 15/12/2017 at 0:08 PM, stu914 said:

As already said, it's the water movement at the surface rather than the bubbles that oxygenate......:yes:

:oldtoker:

Is this true?

Just now, shayneoc said:

Is this true?

I don't post stuff that isn't bud........:yep:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Oh. Top man just learned something new. I have a 190 res on an ebb and flow. I got 3 stones in there and does okay but if I had a powerful enough pump to ripple the water (like an aquarium pump to give it waves) will this work? Only thing is though it will evaporate a lot faster and being a reef keeper myself I know when water evaporates the nutes etc all stay there. Correct? @stu914

Edited by shayneoc
1 person likes this

E6_C38_FAD-4264-4_B61-8202-_F6_C1162690_

707_F71_CF-4_DD0-4_AF8-9_F1_A-186036_CBD

these are wave makers. Expensive for a pump but whatever works better is always required right  :bong:

40 minutes ago, shayneoc said:

an aquarium pump

I would dispense with airstones in a F&D setup and put a small pump in the bottom of the res pointing upwards instead,

just strong enough to create a bulge in the surface, not a fountain, this will both aerate the solution and mix your nutes at the same time.

Check out 'fluming'..........:yep:

2 people like this

I’ll give this a try the weekend as seedlings are going in Thursday. 

Ps: sorry I high jacked this post.