Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

dingo bingo

Why do Americans hang lights so high?

Hi everyone,

After watching quite a few videos of American and Canadian growrooms, especially the big legal grows there now, I noticed they all hang the lights very high above the plants - sometimes more than a metre away. I thought it was strange as the consensus over here is to get them as close as possible to maximise the light's intensity.

Anyone know why? Just feeling curious is all.....

Cheers, DB :smokin:

I don't know, but I do know that any country who can't use the simple idea of using a rolled up cardboard roach in a joint needs some schooling.

4 people like this

I think 1000w bulbs are very popular in America ,and they tend to grow monsters too ! Also ,folks sometimes raise their lights for a picture .

because they have many lights.  The light loss from the overlap between lights cancels out as it is lighting the adjacent plants.

e2: it briefly explains optimum lamp height in the dimlux manual.

Edited by Bird
2 people like this

also i think there's little to no difference in running a light at height vs close but dont quote me on it i havent done any reading in a while,i leave mine in the top of my 2m tall tent most of the time though with no issue afaik,keeps temps in check too.

H4rdc0r3.

2 people like this

Check out @Golden Syrup `s diary, he`s got his lights fixed on the roof of the tent from the start and hit gpw no problem

I`ve got 2 cmh`s as high as my room will allow with zero stretch, so I`m going to leave it like that for the foreseeable 

4 people like this

I actually wrote a thread about this: 

9 people like this

Less heat radiation around the leaf tips plus they are running gavitas at 1100 watts at 100 watt per square foot.... I see them 2-3 metres away sometimes.I always have mine up high but high wattage output around the canopy.

I used to put my lights as close as possible.

Since reading the above thread and other similar info, i've raised my lights.  I'm Seeing much better results all round since raising them (600w hps).

Better temp's, less problem plants, and less stretch all round too.

Nice one,

Tigs :guitar:

3 people like this

3 hours ago, THC4METOO said:

I don't know, but I do know that any country who can't use the simple idea of using a rolled up cardboard roach in a joint needs some schooling.

You ought to try some cypress hill roach clips mate ;) 

1 person likes this

Having the light too close can mean that it's not going to get to the sides as much and just in the center. So you're getting a stronger spot of light in the center but less is getting spread out to the sides. It's about finding a sweet spot really, then there's temps and stuff too though.

Edited by indicatoker420
3 people like this

It's much easier to see & work on the plants without baking your head.

3 people like this

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

It's much easier to see & work on the plants without baking your head.

lol I only grow in tight spaces with a 250w and burnt my hair a few times lol

1 person likes this

I'm sure my 315 cmh has brought on early onset baldness, its certainly hastened the hot dog in a bun look lol

4 people like this