Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BadNoob

Advice for a noob please

Hello all and thanks for to admin for approving me. Excited to join the community after spending many hours reading up on several topics. I'm looking to start my first (small and low budget) grow and although as stated I have done quite a bit of research I'm getting some mixed information so would appreciate if anybody could point me in the right direction on a few things. I intend to grow only two plants to begin with, most likely some autoflower NL or Jack Herrer as I've read that these are short, easy to grow and less difficult to keep on top of smell wise than say Blue Cheese or White Widow.

TENT
Firstly, I have a tent 80cm x 80cm x 160cm that cost me next to nothing from Amazon. It has a couple of pinhole (and I mean a hairs breadth) that are sometimes visible through the zip - will this have any negative effect? This may sound silly, but I've stood inside it zipped up and I can't see jack, so I'm guessing it's nothing to worry about?

LIGHTING

I impulsively bought 2  £30  no-brand  "216w Dual Spectrum LED UFO Grow lights" to go with it. I saw on Youtube that the actual draw of these lights is 65w but they apparently emit the same amount of light as a 216w HPS. The description is as follows - 

• LIGHT SOURCE: 72 pieces of 3W LEDs, high lumens of 21,600LM, high power Par Value ensured, it is environmentally friendly.
  • BLUE LIGHT: contributing to plant photosynthesis, promoting growth, protein synthesis and fruit development.
  • RED LIGHT: promoting rhizome growth, blossoming and bearing fruit, extending flowering phase and increasing output.
  • FULL SPECTRUM: wavelength of 410nm-730nm, white and warm white, providing natural light for various plants in different growth period.
  • GREAT HEAT DISSIPATION: built in a cooling fan ensures great heat dissipation and long lifespan of 50,000 hours.

After further research on these cheap no name LEDs I have come to the conclusion that this description is most likely bullshit. I stuck a couple of Komodo Dragon chilli seedlings in the tent a fortnight ago, to give the lights a test run and also to see if I could control temperature and humidity with the basic equipment I have. The fan in one of them is already bust and I'm going to return it. I don't hold much faith for the lifespan of the other one either and still have 20 days to return them both for a refund or replacement. Would I be best to get a refund, steer clear of these shitters and go with a CFL, perhaps a 300w as this would give me approx 50w per square foot? 

VENTILATION

This is what I'm really struggling with . The tent is in a bedroom, which I spend most of my time (I live alone in a large upstairs flat and its cheaper for me to heat one room in the winter) and from what I've read, for me to effectively run exhausts and intakes outside would mean I'd need ridiculous lengths of ducting and stupidly high powered fans all over my place or start knocking holes in ceilings (which is a no). Is it okay to run intake and exhaust into a small tent from within one room? 

My tent is 35 cubic feet. I have a small duct booster that I intended to use for intake that is rated at 103/cfm. It's nice and quiet, low powered and didn't cost much. I'm looking to purchase an extractor and have found this formula on google to work out my needs -

"To calculate multiply length x width x height of growing area e.g. A room that is 8' x 8' x 8' will have a volume of 512 cubic feet. Your extraction fan should be able to adequately exchange the air in an indoor garden once every three minutes. Therefore, 512 cubic feet / 3 minutes = 171 CFM."

By this theory I'd only need a fan with a rating of 11cfm which can't be right can it? After using another calculator on a Hydroponics store website they advised me that I would need a 200cfm fan with a 300mm carbon filter. Does this sound more realistic? Also I've read that the restrictive effect of the filter will deduct 20% from the CFM rating of the fan which would only give me 160cfm, which I'm guessing won't be enough with my 103cfm intake to maintain negative pressure. This shit is baffling me. Would I be better to buy a 200cfm extractor and filter,  open up all the vents for a passive intake? Would that mean I'd have to run the extractor fan non stop night and day, or would I have to do that anyway? I'm guessing so if I need to maintain negative pressure. 

Carbon filters -  After much reading I pretty much get the jist that Phresh, Can etc are the dogs bollocks and the cheap £20ers are not worth a wank, even that the Rhino Pro's arent 100% in odor control. I've learned from my experience with the lights that there is a lot of shit out there and skimping can be a false economy but my budget is seriously tight. Can anybody tell me from experience if some of the cheaper but branded filters like OX, RAM, Rhino hobby, Swiftair etc actually do the job (even for 6 months) of removing the odor. Like I've said I'm not talking about a warehouse full of prize winning Cheese here, just two plants. I also know there is the DIY option, I'm pretty handy but I would be pretty pissed off if I spent the time and effort making something that is no better than a £30 jobby I could have ordered from the bay. I've found a site selling Rhino Pro's starting at £35 so I'm edging towards this, but the skimper in me says to try a cheap nasty £45 full kit with a fan from ebay. After all they've sold over 1500 with mostly positive feedback.

Thanks in advance to anybody that reads this and can give me any tips, hope I've not put you to sleep.

BN

2 people like this

Rhino pros are fine, use with a 5" minimum rvk on a controller and you won't go far wrong. 

I use the same cab, 5" extraction and passive intakes. 

1 person likes this

Welcome to the site dude.

I grow in a similar size space and get no problems with a 5inch fan as said above. You really need to vent out somewhere.

how big is the room your in and does it have a window.

good luck with it dude.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the quick replies! Am I right in thinking it's more about the CFM rating of the fan than the actual size in inches or not? Is RVK a brand name or type of fan?  The room is quite large, about 90sqf with an 8ft ceiling and yes there's a window but having it open all the time is going to cause temps to drop to the single digits and beyond. My other option would be to stick it in the back room and vent up into the loft and out through the cooker hood extraction duct which I don't use. Is intake from outside a necessity also? 

Cheers

Its both the CFM and the size that matter.

Really, dont try and save money on the filter or ventilation.  Its a mistake.

Edited by Bird
5 people like this

You can intake/extract into the same room. As long as you've got a window cracked to exchange the air. I tried a cheap filter for a while but switched to a rhino pro. Twice the size but absolutely odour free

3 people like this

I have the same size tent as you mate. Probably from the same company. I use a 6" inline fan for extraction which runs on the lower setting & a 4" one on max for the intake. 400W HPS, i'd recommend that or a 250W HPS setup (lumatek digital ballast, euro reflector & HPS bulb) Digital ballasts have different power settings so if you bought the same ballast I have you can run it at 250w, 275, 400w, 440w, just swap the bulbs out. 

The 400w runs a bit hot in the summer but for this time of year it's perfect. Any reason you're going auto? If you run into issues it's just gonna flower regardless, you have less control in a sense. 

Edited by j2o
2 people like this

Thanks for the replies! Think I'm definitely leaning towards the Rhino Pro then, most people seem to be saying good things about them and if it does the job properly and saves a 5am wake up call from old Bill it's worth every penny. The LED's are on their way back to Scamazon.  J20 is there a reason you favour HPS over CFLs? I'm slightly para about heat sticking out like a sore thumb in one spot of my freezing cold flat. I guess you're right about the Autos too, I just thought they are essentially smaller, easier to grow with no pruning but with Photoperiod it would allow me to keep in veg indefinitely until I'm sure I've got things right?

1 person likes this

Hi bud, cfls will do fine during veg but they don't have the power to give you the best return compared to hps.

Don't worry about a heat signature, they're looking for huge commercial grows with multiple lights, a 250hps won't even register.

Environment is the most important part of any grow so the Rhino pro is a good choice, with a decent fan and controller should see you right.

Good luck

stu:oldtoker:

2 people like this

One helluva opening post there fair play, much questions too...but don't worry too much bud ;)  Rhino Pro is good for scrubbing, I'm still running the one I bought when I started back up and it's run a fair few blooms but no stink as of yet (I doubt there's much left in it now though, hence a new one ready for a switchover when it comes and is wise to have a spare)  RVK is made by SystemAir (German Engineering) and they make good fans too but sounds like a gas turbine when it winds up (good to box them in etc).  As Stu has said, environment is massive and getting it right really does save you some worry and provides decent hauls...genetics dependent also of course :v: 

Forget the auto if you're new to growing, do your apprenticeship with some decent priced feminised or better still regular photoperiods first as if it goes tits up, you've always got the chance to turn them around...with autos, you have to get it right or they'll not reach enough yield potential in time and certainly not the 'easy' choice.

2 people like this

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. So my Rhino Pro and a fan the size of my torso arrived today. I had no idea these things were so heavy, absolute monsters! What do you guys use to suspend your fans and filters from the tent? 

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, BadNoob said:

suspend your fans and filters from the tent? 

Hi bud, I've always used Jack Chain.....you can open the links to form hooks if needed and is strong enough to hold up just about any size filter, fan etc.

atb

stu:oldtoker:

2 people like this

Thanks Stu

1 person likes this