Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

reef3er

PH in soil

17 posts in this topic

Heard plenty people saying not to bother with ph meters if using good soil (bio bizz all mix) but i always have bother with yellowing leaves when i get a good bit into flower and on my 3rd grow now have blamed it on me not using enough feed (bio grow & bloom),i went and bought a ph meter and ph up/down a few days back and checked my water and it sits at 7.5 out the tap and when i add my feed to the water it sits at 5.95 so im feeling the ph could be causing lock out and planning on adjusting ph levels to try and get 6.5 / 7.0 in my feed before watering today. been led to believe a good soil can lower ph levels ok but will struggle to raise the ph causing problems,i know it will have been brought up several times but want to get to the bottom of my probs now as i know my plants dont reach there full potential because of it,whats your thoughts and i mix my feed in a 12 litre water dispenser so what would be a starting point with amounts for raising ph using Growth Technologys up/down 

edit-should i maybe try raise the ph in the water to say 9.0 then add my feed as i really dont want to make a c&*t of it after all my feed is added ?

Edited by reef3er

ph at 5.95 is fine i believe.  you dont need to raise the ph before you add nutes

if  your using biobizz allmix you need to add some ES  { 1/2 tsp  diluted in hot water until dissolved then add it to your normal feed } ... at week 4/5 in flower as BB is naturally low in Mag.....dont ph the soil......no need to or you will mess with the soils natural buffer..

4 people like this

All mix has a buffer of about 6.5, and should have enough feed for 3 or 4 weeks. If your having issues, id suspect its casued by over feeding early on..my tap waters the same and i use batmix, ph bufferd about the same, any problems is usually alwasys down to over feeding early. Back off feeding for a bit and see how things go. whenever ive tried to add something to lower/higher ph ive caused more problems.

2 people like this

Reading this so reminds me of me like all of 6 months ago. (i was thinking along the same lines)

There is a difference between Water Ph and Soil PH. What you put in doesn't change what comes out straight away in Canna compost.

Say you put in water in at 5.5 it wont come out at 5.5 it will come at at the soil was adjusted to. whats refereed to as a buffer. which is made up of calcium and magnesium and is already in the soil

in extreme cases it can get eaten away from lack of either cal or mag in the water and make Ph unstable around flowering time.

I'm not actually gonna say dont do it. (as in adjust PH) as i did it and although i didn't get what i wanted from it, you learn along the way.

i would advise if using organics try using organic PH up and down options. i know you can use silicon to raise Ph but you dont want to use it in late bloom ,baking soda is also an up but i dont know much about how to use it. ,citric acid for down.

(have you thought about using less nutrients ) how much as in Ml are you adding to get it down to 5.5 from 7.5?

your right about the microbes being able to  lower but no raise btw

Is you water Hard or soft out of curiosity ?

I had week 4-6 yellowing consistently, found out i had excess Cal in my water and virtually no Mg

Cal can clog up around the roots blocking uptake of other nutrients for example.

Good luck Hope it works for you whatever you choose to do.

3 people like this

23 hours ago, M1PEL said:

if  your using biobizz allmix you need to add some ES  { 1/2 tsp  diluted in hot water until dissolved then add it to your normal feed } ... at week 4/5 in flower as BB is naturally low in Mag.....dont ph the soil......no need to or you will mess with the soils natural buffer..

@M1PEL a half tsp per litre ?

Edited by reef3er

Param. Name No. of Results PCV Std Units of Measure No. of Results Failing % Compliance
Turbidity 49 4 NTU 0 100
Aluminium 50 200 µgAl/l 0 100
Iron 50 200 µgFe/l 0 100
Manganese 50 50 µgMn/l 0 100
E. coli (Faecal coliforms) 138 0 CFU in 100ml 0 100
Total Trihalomethanes 8 100 µg/l 0 100
@BarrySHitPeas thats what comes up for my area ,when i tested ph i had put 1ml grow and 1.5ml bloom and .5ml magnecal and .5ml alg a mic per litre into my water which tested at a ph of 5.95 ive only used magnecal 3 times 1st time was at 0.25ml then the other 2 at 0.5ml per litre
Edited by Owderb

heres a few pics from about a half hour ago on my Sour Diesel and looking at deficiency charts looks to me like a K deficiency ? (day 51)

large.20171113_1755571.jpglarge.20171113_1756541.jpg

Edited by reef3er

As she enters the late stages of flowering you will get yellow leaves.I always use fishmix try it on your next grow you won’t be disappointed.

@splifi would i drop the bio grow if i started using the fishmix for my next grow ? im going to be using house and garden bat mix my next grow ,i think they will have another 20-30 days to go and by then the entire plant will be yellow as its happened in the past 

Edited by Owderb

I’ve had this problem myself and I think it’s because we cut the grow out too early, I think you run out of enough N too early in the plants cycle and that’s what causes the yellowing. It’s also why bigger pots work so well when growing in soil, because there’s simply more nutrients for the plant to use. 

Spesking as photo grower by the way 

Edited by VikingDee
3 people like this

@VikingDee

ive been keeping the grow at 1ml per litre but never been sure if it should be increased throughout the grow

had the same issues when i done photos at beginning of the year

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed please use @function to avoid repetition
1 person likes this

Bio bizz grow is a slow releasing N nutrient so can be hard to judge...fishmix is available for the uptake from the off and is much better all round....

Possibility of cold feet might be the case....

Farmer 

4 people like this

To be honest the copy and pasted info is all kinda of irrelevant. thats showing Manganese not magnesium for example and doesn't show the Cal level.

this is the info you want.

gallery_94416_11658_537.jpeg

Do you have excess white crap around your sink faucets in your kettle ?

If you have a google of Canna Calmag and have a look at the page they have a map of the UK with water hardness listed. check your area.

and the amounts you have listed seem completely reasonable although, If you had hard water adding all that then yeah your gonna run into potential problems in my opinion.

read the Canna Calmag page near the bottom and it will explain better then i ever could.

But yeah it wouldn't hurt to check you root temps it is cold but then you said you had this last 3 grows ? and its consistent problem .....

it does look like lack of N but then in my opinion lack of N can look a lot like mag def , i noticed you had a bag of Epsom salts in your pics.

I just use fishmix no grow in organic soil i also would ditch the pertlite, but thats a personal choice i believe the more soil the more roots.