Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GreengoStarr

HSO Diary 2017/18 Chemdawg regs & Chocmint OG Feminised

105 posts in this topic
On 10/04/2018 at 11:35 PM, GreengoStarr said:

I'm trying to smoke some Droopy, but it's fucking hard.

Put a small chunk of unchopped bud into the bowl - 4-5 tokes, nice

Second bowl, smaller chunk - 3-4 tokes, nice

Third bowl, similar chunk, oh, while I think about it, I wanna go check on this. Ooh, that sounds interesting. Oh, what's that?

Tick tock, tick tock.

30 minutes later. Hey, did I have that bong?

lol that's some strong herb lol

Kind regards 

Mark..

1 person likes this

I've been wanting to add some grow info for ages, but I've been so caught up in the unfolding QAnon drama that I just haven't got around to it. I have now decided to take the time to do so.

Without going into the hows and whys, I have no option but to usemy compost resources frugally and therefore reuse compost. I have no problem with this per se, but this grow has shown me that doing this changes the game. My normal method is to leave the new seedlings unfertilized and then start adding a weak fertilizer, increasing the strength as they grow, but never exceeding around 800 ppm. 

Without too much thought, I followed this route again. Big mistake! Naturally, the soil has virtually none of the big 3 nutrients (NPK) left after flowering as well as all the other trace elements. It didn't take long before these deficiencies started manifesting in my subbie seedlings as well as the HSO ones and the primary deficiencies manifested were both calcium and magnesium. I don't recall whether I had already fed them when I first noticed the deficiency symptoms, but I certainly did afterwards. I initially used just GH flora micro at about 650 ppm. This clearly was not enough so I upped it to around 1000 ppm but with the addition of some GE flora grow and some crushed cal/mag dietary supplements dissolved into it as well and that has certainly done the trick and they are now thriving. Fortunately, I had learnt from my mistake with the first round of seedlings so Deputy Dawg's children were saved from signs of deficiency.

Due to the huge number of seedlings now in the tent (25), I decided to top all the first sprouted ones to aid in keeping a relatively flat canopy and, for the first time in my life, I inadvertently fimmed one. Now, I have no wish to teach anyone to suck eggs, but for the novices FIM is an acronym for Fuck, I missed!. Tbh, I was just being lazy and reached into the tent from my bed to pinch the top off, but this one was only just barely within my reach when I pinched it and that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it. This fimming resulted in the next set of nodes accelerating their growth. One of the higher, fimmed nodes began growing a few days later and it's partner about a week later, which is now still shorting than the other three branches.

I mentioned earlier that I had thrown a whole load of seeds i thought were no good into a pot of compost, well, after I transplanted most of those that germinated after breaking surface, I threw the compost into my stash and let it dry out. I used this stock of compost during up potting and was surprised when the family grew by two new additions and I've circled those in the pics below.

Due to the sheer number of plants in the groom and the rubbish penetration of the LEDs, I've decided to flip them from 24/7 to 12/12 and the following pics from tonight show them after their ever sleep.

I've taken a snap from two opposites sides of the groom tonight to show how they look; I switched off the bloom lights so the pics are only blue instead of blurple. The weird and wacky looking plant is a chilli bush I had growing in the DWC during the last grow, but is now in soil. The plants really aren't the size they appear in the groom; they are definitely smaller! The sativa structure, however, is clearly evident in the subbie seeds, but their leaves look more indica at the moment. The HSOs have a nice bend of indica/sativa qualities in their growth structures, but the leaves look a lot more indica dominant as well.

large.P1010899.JPG.9e66f90dff483c0f20df0

large.P1010903.JPG.a0c70afac8315b02c2b34

large.P1010906.JPG.cab1fc1c6dcad3f5c771a

large.P1010907.JPG.e58e1f56e4c4f3ca45692

1 person likes this

Alright there @GreengoStarr

That was a turn up for the books, your seeds that you thought were no good popping up, well you certainly have a tent full at the moment.

Sorry if you have already said I might probably have forgotten but what happened to the chocolate mint og? Or is that still in there?

Take it easy.Jj:yinyang:

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Jibba jabba said:

Alright there @GreengoStarr

That was a turn up for the books, your seeds that you thought were no good popping up, well you certainly have a tent full at the moment.

Sorry if you have already said I might probably have forgotten but what happened to the chocolate mint og? Or is that still in there?

Take it easy.Jj:yinyang:

Yeah, the culling is gonna be a job I'm not looking forward to. Now that they have been flipped, the males will show their heads in the coming week or so and I can take those out (the CMOG is the only feminised one of the lot) so that should account for around 50% of the 25 plants.

Earlier, I mentioned that some klutz knocked some of the young seedlings over and a couple of them may have become mixed up as result. There was one Cmog amongst them and it may have inadvertently have been relabelled as something else - or not, but there is still one definite CMOG in there.

When I update next week, I'll bring all the HSO plants out and photograph them individually because this is an HSO seeds for diary after all. now know what the chemdawg's like to smoke and I'm really looking to trying the CMOG!

Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

KIG

GreengoStarr

2 people like this

Well that's good to hear @GreengoStarr The Hso chocolate mint og is a cracking smoke, unfortunately I have polished all mine off, greedy boy. Sure I have a drop of oil somewhere tho, you will definitely be able to recognise her amongst the dawgs,anyway I'll c see you next time bud, take care. Jj:yinyang:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thought it about time to upload a few HSO pics and some general groom shots.

large.P1010923.JPG.8e439b549cf0feec429f6

large.P1010918.JPG.9de5756c4fb057d0053d6

large.P1010915.JPG.a3055284dbca056f723d2

large.P1010912.JPG.20386803ead9f76662897

large.P1010911.JPG.dba4d9c6cae40c92eb08c

large.P1010910.JPG.0d046a3bcf16c91fc4ec0

medium.P1010909.JPG.20cbfbdda9eb1c57686b

Edited by GreengoStarr
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 12/04/2018 at 2:26 PM, HSO-Mark said:

lol that's some strong herb lol

Kind regards 

Mark..

The dry sift is really nice as well. I just take a piece and pop it atop a wee bud in the bowl and enjoy the best of both worlds. The hash burns first and tastes divine and then you get that little rascal underneath with a whole different flavour profile to finish it off.

Bugger! I thought I had posted when I flipped, but I can't seem to find it. Anyway, I flipped to 13/11 about 4 days ago after having the on 24/7 from birth and I had my first quick glance just now to see if there were any signs of flowering. Kneeling on my bed peeking through my "front door" doesn't allow me to get close to many, but of the few that I could I noticed that the CMOG has her preflowers showing. @Jibba jabba said if I had mislabelled one I would definitely recognise it. She certainly has a very different leaf structure to the Chemdawgs, with finer fronds and none of those big, fat cabbagey fan leaves and I suspect I may indeed have mislabelled one as there is another marked as a wwxbb x Chemdawg that looks quite similar; time will tell.

Catch you next time around, buddy and I hope all is good for you.

WWG1WGA

Edited by GreengoStarr
2 people like this

On 10/04/2018 at 2:50 PM, HSO-Mark said:

If you want to try more "Regular" HSO genetics I'm only a pm away my friend  :)

Enjoy that dank and frosty end product  :)

Well deserved  :bong:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Hey Mark,

I neglected to thank you for your kind offer and I may take you up on it one day, but at the moment I have few regulars of my own already :)

2 people like this

Sometimes I am truly retarded.

Note to self: 13/11 initiated April 12.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Now that's what I call a detailed update  :bong:

You have a beautiful looking grow room and we at HSO are privileged to have our strains in the mix :yep:

So you've been on the "Qanon" train lol

It's very, very captivating and posing some interesting questions. Let's see where it goes :bong:

Thank you for being honest and declining more seeds :) some growers would just say yes and never grow them :( Thanks for being honest mate and the offer is open ;)

Until next time WWG1WGA 

Kind regards 

Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark
2 people like this

Heya Mark,

I understand regulars are not, well, regular for you and I'm not sure how detailed your knowledge is of them, but I thought it might be a good idea to pass on some knowledge from this old fart for the novice regular non feminised plants bedroom farmer. Having not grown regulars regularly for 20 odd years, some things have slipped my mind and an earlier entry in this diary is great entrée to the topic.

When I was trying to sex the plants in the last grow, I almost face palmed! I was so busy looking for for the emergence of male pre flowers that I had forgotten the easiest way to tell a male when sexing. Firstly, males are generally taller than the females and this makes perfect biological sense. In the wild, the males that are taller release their pollen directly into the wind, as those shorter males are protected from the wind by neighbouring plants. Naturally, these genes  then get passed on to the next generation. You'll see exactly what CD I'm talking about in the pictures above.

But being the tallest doesn't guarantee that it's a male, but there are other signs as well. The most commonly used is to check whether it's a pollen sac or a calyx at the nodes. The feminised grower doesn't have to worry about sexing, but is usually interested to know when their plants are beginning to flower and will check for pistils growing from the calyx and that goes for telling females in regulars as well. So how do we tell if it's a calyx or a pollen sac?  The most obvious way is to see if the wee green bally thingy has a stem. If it has a stem, it is male! Now the other, and in my humble opinion, easiest and best way to tell is to look at the leaders at the ends of the branches. This is what I forgot and near face palmed last time when my eyes came from the pollen sac and drifted up to the leaders. I described them, when I found Deputy was a male, as similar to asparagus tips. It's worth noting that this asparagus structure is visible well before you find the stem on the pollen sac.

My whole rationale for mentioning all this is because I found I have at least one female Chemdawg and one male (which will have to be culled unfortunately). I took some close up pics tonight to illustrate what I'm talking about, but it may not be obvious so I'll let him grow a bit more and show you how this leader progresses.

large.P1010927.JPG.711f880db05356b9c500a

large.P1010928.JPG.ecfa80ae9e3c7dd3287b7

Edited by GreengoStarr
3 people like this

Just a couple more pictures of the male tops taken today. I'm gonna pull him from the groom now as I want the space, but I'll keep him going a couple more days.

large.P1010941.JPG.426517bc80b597c917468

large.P1010946.JPG.7acd8444b2e1b4f44bd9a

large.P1010949.JPG.eb8ff66d070a97dcff65d

large.P1010952.JPG.b2eb8adf4978ab569119a.

3 people like this

Like yourself I've not messed with regular genetics since 2008 when my dad was still alive. His thinking and saying was "the only place in the cannabis industry for feminized seeds is the bin" or "feminized seeds are for the lazy grower" lol

I hoped he's looking down and ok that I work for 2 companies that produce feminized seeds :bong: but edging back in with the HSO regulars  :)

I must say when you explains something you go into tremendous detail which is great for not only the new grower but the seasoned amongst us :)

Thanks so much for the detailed write up on male/female selection/identification. 

Well wrote and a good in-depth read :bong:

Kind regards 

Mark..

2 people like this

@HSO-Mark I blame your HSO genetics for my ramblings :) 

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, GreengoStarr said:

@HSO-Mark I blame your HSO genetics for my ramblings :) 

I'll take the blame mate lol

Have a good Sunday afternoon my friend  :headbang:

Kind regards 

Mark..

2 people like this