Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GreengoStarr

HSO Diary 2017/18 Chemdawg regs & Chocmint OG Feminised

105 posts in this topic

I've been champing at the bit to get this grow started ever since it was announced that I would be receiving 10 HSO seeds of my choice. I had a stable full of clones desperate to get into the tent, so decided to cull the majority, leaving just two that I intended to grow alongside the Chemdawg and CMOG. As the clones were reasonably well advanced I decided to pop them in the tent on 18 September and await the arrival of the seeds. To slow them down a bit I tortured them horribly by super cropping the main branches and tying them down and waited. And waited. And waited.

Finally, I had to conclude that the seeds had gone astray in the post and let @HSO-Mark know. Due to various reasons beyond his control and some miscommunication on my part, he was unable to order them until October 27. I received an email confirmation of their dispatch on 30 October and they were in my hands yesterday afternoon. I'd like to publicly thank Mark for his untiring efforts in ensuring I got the seeds.

My initial plan was to run a couple of the CMOG's and 3 Chemdawgs alongside two of my WWXBB clones in the hope of getting a male Chemdawg to start some hacking. As the clones are still in veg, but close to flipping, I decided it was too late to run the CMOGS, but not too late try for a Chemdawg male, so I popped a couple of them into germinate. While on the subject of the clones, I initially put them under 19/5. Why 19/5? Because the usual choices are 18/6, 20/4 and 24/0 and I am always trying to do things differently. When I realised the seeds were going to take longer than I thought, I switched them back to 14/10 and, fuck me, after a week they started flowering, so I had to pump it back up to 19/5 again so they could revert to vegging again. This slowed them down way more than my B&D tactics earlier, but also got me to thinking. If they start flowering at 14/10, why not leave them at that during flowering? The WWXBB usually flower for around 63 days so an additional 2 hours of light per day, 126 hours extra in total, must surely give greater end results, right? Well, we shall see with this grow

I was already prepared for potential problems extracting the seed tube from the beautiful wooden presentation and, normally being a bull in china shop type of guy, expected to totally destroy the vial in my feeble attempts to extract, but, lo and behold, the vials came out realtively easily and still in one piece!

I know there are 1,000s of ways to germinate, and I usually use the damp paper/plastic bag/warm, dark environment method, but this time I decided to try something different and popped the seeds into a black plastic film cannister I found lying around (still with an unexposed roll of film in it) and filled it up to about 1/3 full with warmish water, put the lid on and sat it on top of one of my LED panels where the temp was about 24 C. After about 12 hours soaking, during which the seeds plumped up nicely, I drained most of the water out and resealed it. I was delighted to see that both had already germinated by the time I checked on them this morning and they then went straight into small pots of light compost.

Until earlier this year, I had only done one grow from seed in the last 25 years  or so and noted the wwxbb were tiny little things. I couldn't help but notice that both the Chemdawg and CMOG seeds were also tiny little things and all about 1/3 the size of the seeds I was accustomed  to seeing before. Is this the norm these days?

My WWXBB girls are great yielders with large, dense nugs, but the smoke is too balanced for my taste, being neither indica or sativa dominant in the affect. There is enough cerebral stimulation to make it no  good for a good night chuff and sufficiently corporeal to make it a not too ideal day time smoke as it makes me somewhat lethargic. So I wanted to play around with its properties and push the end result one way or the other while still retaining the yield and cola size. I also ordered some subbie seeds for my mad scientist escapades, but that is for a future grow.

As this is a seeds for diary grow, I shall concentrate the diary on the Chemdawg's progress, but shall include the pollination and seeds development processes.

Groom Set up 

Groom - 1.2 x 1,2 x 2 m BudBox tent

Lights - Advanced Platinum 450 and ViparSpectra 450

Medium - Soil, generic light compost

Nutrients - GM flora series

Light cycle - 19/5 during veg and 14/10 during flowering.

Air - Passive 6" intake and 6" dual speed fan for extraction capable of extracting 540 cubic metres of air per minute, but less when my home made carbon filter is connected.

large.P1010100a.JPG.c5542da8597ca00d4053

large.P1010101a.JPG.b166ca53a0e0aa73c18f

large.P1010106a.JPG.8b472fb1245ae0815d74

4 people like this

Nice one Bud :yep:

I also have a pack of Chemdawg regs to do a diary and shall be ready to kick it off in a few weeks, so following with interest!

And first in :)

chair..

2 people like this

Cheers COTB and welcome abored, *groan, yeah, I know.

Seems a few of us chose the Chemdawg. Although my current objective is the hunt for a male, I certainly won't go all Indian on you and kill the girls should any appear and I'm just a tiny bit looking forward to sampling what they have to offer.

3 people like this

Nice intro mate. I flower on a 13/11 thru winter to keep temps up an extra hour and the humidity down, be interesting to see a 14/10 tho. 

Best of luck with the grow dude ile pop my head in from time to time :)

4 people like this

@cocopips

Thanks mate.

I'm also curious to see how 14/10 works out. To be honest, the only reason I'm gonna run that is because I know they'll flower at that, but if I get a male or even two, I'll pull them out tout suite and pop them into their own environment.

4 people like this

On 04/11/2017 at 4:34 PM, GreengoStarr said:

Cheers COTB and welcome abored, *groan, yeah, I know.

Seems a few of us chose the Chemdawg. Although my current objective is the hunt for a male, I certainly won't go all Indian on you and kill the girls should any appear and I'm just a tiny bit looking forward to sampling what they have to offer.

Interestingly, I was watching a doco on jewtube yesterday which touched on the subject of the number of female foetuses aborted annually in India.

1 person likes this

So glad the seeds finally arrived mate and was only to happy to help :yep:

As most of you know I've been in the Dinafem support forum for a good few years so I only really get to see feminized genetics in action on the forums. With HSO having some regular seeds this is making a great change of pace for me and I love to see what other breeders can do :bong:

You also have very interesting lighting regimes in play so needless to say I'll be along for the ride and watching with interest mate  :yep:

You look to be off to a good start with 2 seeds sprouted and I see this is a dual LED grow also which makes things even more interesting  :)

I have started to see a few growers using multiple light sources such as hps,led,cmh and this is making fascinating reading and I'm loving watching the experimentation  :)

Thank you for getting you HSO diary up and running mate and I'll be back in on the next update to see your progress :)

Kind regards 

HSO-Mark..

3 people like this

So, the two little seedlings have popped their heads out to welcome their new life. The one at the back is smaller and only broke out yesterday due to some idiot knocking the pots over and re-burying one of the seeds deeper than the other. I'm contemplating moving them into a different environment on 12/12 to sex them early but am still undecided. If one or even both turned out male, all well and good as I can still get enough pollen for my needs from a small plant, but if one or both turn out female they would be tiny and my recent experience with reverting plants back to veg has shown that it is a time consuming process and simply would not be worth it. That being said, if I get any females, I have no problem revegging after harvest if the need arises.

large.P1010111a.JPG.cf528fe00aac074bc620

4 people like this

@GreengoStarrYou are not playing around mate super fast to get the seed in dirt just what we like to see :)

As you are on the "hunt for a male" yes you could induce bloom now buy in my experience I would veg until they are ready for a clone, take the cut and put direct into 12,s to determine sex? This will take a little more time though  :)

As I've not played with regular seeds in many years this is making a great change of pace for me and taking me back to my roots :)

Both look to be up and healthy mate. Will most definitely be along for the ride and watching with interest mate as this is quite different than what I'm used to :)

Looking great so far and thank you for the update mate things are looking great  :)

Kind regards 

HSO-Mark..

2 people like this

Cheers @HSO-Mark

Did I mention how patient I was? If I did, I lied, but can't help but agree with your assessment; yeah it would definitely be better to leave them grow before attempting to sex them. Fortunately, I have lots of height to play around with so it doesn't matter too much how tall the others get, but it is going to be a jungle in there.

3 people like this

@GreengoStarr My dad was a very firm believer in regular genetics when I started working for Dinafem I thought he was going to disown me lol

Luckily enough before he passed he did try feminized seeds but he said they were for "the lazy grower" and still loved his regular seeds :)

I do recall when I was going the old man could sex a strain at around week 5 of veg and even from seed would kind of know what it would be :)

Going to be watching Your adventure mate taking me back to my childhood  :)

Kind regards 

HSO-Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark
1 person likes this

So, not much to report. Babies are doing well, but one significantly better than the the other. Whilst they were approximately the same size a week ago, the first born just started racing ahead. The bigger it got, the quicker it is growing, which makes perfect sense, but the size difference cannot be due to simply one extra day of light exposure IMHO. I'll shall definitely be tracking its progress to see if this changes. They're still in their dinky little pots but I shall shall probably pot up in a week or so. 

ETA I was totally wrong! I just noticed the split in the top of the pot in the left hand seedling and that was actually the first born!

large_2211.JPG.57e44bb1fcbcab1df3b4a94cc

Edited by GreengoStarr
Cos I'm a fuckwit
4 people like this

On 12/11/2017 at 4:07 PM, HSO-Mark said:

@GreengoStarr My dad was a very firm believer in regular genetics when I started working for Dinafem I thought he was going to disown me lol

Luckily enough before he passed he did try feminized seeds but he said they were for "the lazy grower" and still loved his regular seeds :)

I do recall when I was going the old man could sex a strain at around week 5 of veg and even from seed would kind of know what it would be :)

Going to be watching Your adventure mate taking me back to my childhood  :)

Kind regards 

HSO-Mark..

Hundreds of years ago, when I was growing regs in the great Australian outdoors, I had no interest in males at that time as I had more than enough seeds and wasn't even thinking about searching for genetics for breeding, I would always germinate at least double what I wanted to cull the males. I used to sprout them at home, sex them at around 5 or 6 weeks and rip up those deemed male and take the rest out for guerilla growing in the bush. Reading on sexing today, the method I used seems to be frowned upon as unreliable, but I never once found a male in those I classed as female at that age. I will tentatively sex these the same way, but you can guarantee there will be no culling this time. I will expand upon my methodology when they are ready to be sexed and I think it will be interesting to see if I am right or full of shit and just had the luck of the leprechauns on my side in the past.

3 people like this

I'm not to good on the breeding side but spotting a male I'm very good at. From what you said echoes exactly how it works. With regual and feminized seeds the sex will show 99% of the time from day 35-49 more on the 35 day side which allows for males to be pulled just as they are showing as to not pollinate the female crop (if growing for flowers)

Female seeds also tend to start throwing out white pistils in the same time frame so I think you are on the right track mate :yep:

You definitely look to have 2 different phenotypes as 1 day extra growth would not be equal to the growth shown. Going to be an interesting few weeks  :)

Can I ask do you intend to cross these 2 strains or do you have a mother in mind?

Both plants look great, healthy and more so happy  :)

Thank you for taking the time to update your HSO adventure and thank you for the added pictures very much appreciated!

Will pop back in on the next update  :bong:

Kind regards 

HSO-Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark
2 people like this

Cheers @HSO-Mark,

If I end up with a male and female Chemdawg I will definitely cross them. I plan on sprinkling male pollen on everything like fairy dust and see what I can come up with. These two, despite the different in sizes, do still look like the same strain and it will be interesting to see what other differences arise.

I ended up up-potting them a couple of days after my last post and, bugger me, they need to be up-potted again. You can clearly see the roots creeping out the bottom of the pots in the pics below. Surprisingly, the roots of the smaller one seem to be the most aggressive. I have been bending and manipulating the larger one to expose the lower growing shoots and the results are very apparent.

As I am somewhat unconventional, I like to try all sorts of weird and wacky things; rather than up-pot the smaller one in the traditional manner, I decided to keep it in its small pot and up-pot into a net pot with hydroton and pop it into the DWC reservoir along with one of my WWxBBs and some chillies. This way, if it turns out to be male, I can easily up-pot it, net pot and all, into a larger pot without disturbing the roots too much and move it to a different environment and it will get the benefit of quicker growth in the DWC. I potted it slightly off centre so I could position it the furthest distance from the the WWxBB next to it.

large.P1010187.JPG.64807d9dcd0a94014025e

large.P1010188.JPG.6fdb5fa5cd7393f03900d

large.P1010189.JPG.24f4be17cee3d2cc89abc

large.P1010190.JPG.21074645010237e4c9b4b

large.P1010191.JPG.954ddf0e998752e2f0072

large.P1010192.JPG.ddf0809fab6285c2d48b5

large.P1010193.JPG.6cb6dc3e3b477d1a9f9a3

Edited by GreengoStarr
4 people like this