Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

growzee

Airpots anyone use em ?

16 posts in this topic

Hi all

anyone using superoots air pots ?

look good idea - your thoughts and feedback appreciated  

thanks in advance

grow on :yinyang:

Buy cheap fabric pots from China. 

Your roots will astound you.

1 person likes this

I use the fabric ones, use them for chillis and courgettes to. They are brilliant 

1 person likes this

+1 for fabric pots, even seen people put the fabric pots inside giant net pots. 

Airpots = pain to water and lots of entry points for bugs - I got fungus gnats with them and it made treating it so much more difficult. 

e2a: not saying airpots = bugs but just a risk factor to consider

Edited by j2o

@Absurdist and @VikingDee thanks for that guys.

I usually use regular pots. Just considering other options.

How good are the fabric over regular pots ?

2 hours ago, j2o said:

Airpots = pain to water and lots of entry points for bugs - I got fungus gnats with them and it made treating it so much more difficult.

@j2o good points nice one. They sound like another useless product?

I get the gnats any sometimes and treat with Nilnat so I get no worms in run off  - which cause the real damage to roots  I control the room with spray and it keeps the little fukers at bay.

An old grower told me fungus gnats like coco as it holds water for longer than soil and also Superthrive - it does stink thou right. lol

Food for thought

1 person likes this

I got my best yield ever with my last grow, which was the first in fabric pots. But I changed lots of things at the same time.

The root structure has to be seen to be believed.

1 person likes this

They supply more oxygen to your roots than normal pots, roots like oxygen.

1 person likes this

You can get fabric pots cheap as chips off eBay and they are reusable 

I use 15lt air pots, best root balls iv ever had, imo, they beat anything else iv used hands down, get a couple, see how you get on with them, no point hitting and hoping, I watched my mates results for a couple of grows in his system and jumped right on the same one!

dj....

2 people like this

been using 20L airpots (and occasionally 5L ones to start off) for 4 years now with Coco, and have to say I am very happy with them, getting autos to yield upto 18 ounces per plant with no pest issues etc. Ive been told that Coco and airpots give the optimum air/water ratio that canna needs.

Try a couple and see!

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, growzee said:

good points nice one. They sound like another useless product?

@growzee

Not useless at all.Kew Gardens and a large chunk of the other nurseries around the planet are using them but you need to use wetting agents when watering them and I also drop them into tights to slow run-off when watering and eliminate access for insects.There is a video online showing how air pruning roots as they grow creates a nice even root ball rather than roots circling round and round the inside of a pot

1 person likes this

Tried all of them and always rated smart/fabric pots for the right balance of water and air exchange.The air pots are a nightmare to properly saturate but would work well with a modified fllod and drain system. The root prune fabric pots forms a rootball like a turnip if you veg adequately.

1 person likes this

thanks guys :)

great advice with the tights - nice idea :)

I read lots people using them. I get the whole root pruning idea. My main concerns are drying out and fungus gnats.

I heard they are a nightmare to keep wet/moist.

might be a case of back to basics ?

I've also used the Smart/fabric pots for a few years now... I like them too, however the cons are, uneven watering, dry out faster, prone to light and bugs and shifting of medium... I suggest placing the fabric/airpots, inside a snuggish fitting bucket rather than tray.. This should prevent, or at least better guard against the issues mentioned. I'm going to heed my own advice next time around anyway! Good luck @growzee

1 person likes this

I've used root pruning pots for years. The plastic cheaper alternative to airpots. Insane roots with them, easy to clean and stack nicely. Would never use anything else, other than an actual airpot. 

Ive never had problems with gnats or bugs, probably more down to the coco than the pots maybe? Water doesn't piss out the sides like you'd think unless you're watering waay too fast.

1 person likes this