Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Green Pickle

6″ or 8″ fan dilemma for small tent

Hey guys, first post here.
I`ve been amassing bits of kit for a lil while now. Now the time has come to get an extraction fan, and its bit difficult as there are no reviews and specifications are really vague most of the time.
The only thing making noise in that tent will be fans, as light is passively cooled. So I would really like an inline fan to be purring like a little kitten, so the whole setup can be really silent.

Honestly, i think 8" would be way too much as I need around 100m3/h of airflow (and slowing down 8" to 10% I think is impossible on AC fans), so most of 6" silent fans are around 500 so I could run it on 20% with a fan controller.

Question is would that be enough negative pressure to force air through the filter?? And any advice on fan would be fan

Tent: 120x60x180 (cm)

Done some dry runs temps are around 32C

large.IMG_20171006_184333.jpg

4 people like this

just for your information, the lowest you can lower a inline fan is 40% power, the reason being is that any lower then the fan will stop,

you also need a minimum amount of air flow to cool down the fan's internal motor, as for what size of fan to get, I'd go with either a 5" L1 ruck fan which move's 350m3,

so at 40% power it'll shift about 120m3, the reason it's not higher at 40% is due to the air drag effect of air being pulled through the carbon, you can lose up to 15-20%

efficency,also, if your going to get a decent fan controller, you need a controller that's transformer based, your talking £75 for a 5 step voltage controller.

if you go for a 6" fan, a 6" A1 fan shift's 420m3 & a 6" L1 fan shift's 700 m3.

Edited by Joint hogger

I have a tent that size and i used a 6" hyper fan stealth on low and its silent. Still had planty of head room too even with a big filter.

tried a 4" rvk and it was to noisy and 5"td silent but my arse has more power than them shitty fans.

large.DSC03078.JPG

E2a my tents only 160cm tall so should be fine with yours.

Edited by Key4

Sheik

When I said fan need to shift 100m3/h that was already with filter resistance. Without it comes to 77 or something like that. 
Spoke with few Hydro shops and they told me that some fans can run on 30% or if you go with really expensive EC version you can go very low - that what they told me. It kind of sucks if I spend like 500quid to find out my setup might not work, and return policy isn't that grate also (once opened you are kind of done)

Just sprouted

I was looking at Phresh Hyper fan also as it comes with a controller(!!) or REVOLUTION STRATOS SILENCED but that needs controller so extra cost. Looked also at ISO boxes or some silly ideas like having a tornado or Gekko box outside the tent. 
Whats the speed you running it if you don't mind me asking, as you guys give contradicting facts

1 person likes this

before you rush off & spend money, can I just ask whats the power draw of your led panel ?

Why so fixed on to 100m3/h draw pulling more will only help the plants good 6" and step controller sorted :george:

The panel is 200W, and I'm not fixed on 100m3 but that's what the math for the tent says that's all.

I will need to tinker with it anyway to get the temps etc right

I went with Phresh Hyper Fan, slowest it can run is 35% and is nice and quiet. Thanks @Key4

Any advice at how to hang them best on my own??

I tried and fast clamp didn't hold. They broke in half and dented a bit, but I managed to mend that. The second clamp got ruined while tightening, the head of the bolt pulled through the metal:pitchfork:
large_Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

1 person likes this

Balance the fan ontop of the filter and use foil tape.

Then buy a proper filter clamp they are about 15quid not the cheapo crappy fast clamps.

Like this 86552_125mm_(5_inch)_Fast_Clamp.jpg?1497

Hang with bungees and lots of swearing :) 

What cobs you got in that light 1212s? That a nice looking unit.

Edited by Key4

I use ruck clamps. Hold it closed with one hand & then tighten the bolts with the other.  Don't try and use the bolts to close it.

@Key4 Could you maybe get me a proper name of that clamp as google only finds cheap ones (or send me priv msg). I have done most of it the way you say, just didn't get the tape at that time (now I have tape but no clamps huh)

If I had a choice to the cob I would go with citizen. But this was DIY kit from Germany so the only option they had was CBX3590, I went with bit more fancy version with black heatsink and better bins (they gain around 10% more)

Edited by Green Pickle

Search ebay for " 4-8 inch Fast Clamps Hydroponic Air Tight Fan Filter Padded Ducting Fasten "

I went through loads of the cheap kind before getting one of these.

Its a really nice light that is and theres nout wrong with cree there just expensive.

Would love too see a diary theres not many use proper leds on here. :)