Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ananda

In soil, things seem to go wrong after 6 weeks

28 posts in this topic

6 weeks of flowering that is. 

I have had this since I started, not with every grow but with lots of them - I seem to do ok for the first 6 weeks or so then things seem to go weird. They start looking worse for wear and often look like deficiencies might be happening but giving more feed doesn't help. I remember reading somewhere ages ago that this is quite common with soil but I can't remember anything more about it. I use organic nutes and TNC Myccormax when potting up so I should have a reasonably colony of beneficial micros.

Does this happen to anyone else?

1 person likes this

Are you feeding organic nutes? 

Just read your post, yes you are. They are crashing at 6 weeks because the compost is running out of nutes. Organic nutes are mostly unavailable to plants as fed, taking a while to break down therfore you need to start feeding before they crash (week 4ish)

2 people like this

Really?. I feed 1 week in flower..wouldnt want to leave it any later.what soil?

4 people like this

21 hours ago, ananda said:

often look like deficiencies might be happening but giving more feed doesn't help.

Sounds like you've overfed in the first place, can I ask what nutes you're using and how many ml's per Litre?

2 people like this

Do they start by looking lime green starting from top and working down by any chance?

1 person likes this

How long after last pot up do you start to feed and what size final pots are you using?

With a decent size final pot up there should easily be 4 weeks food in the compost without adding anything.

I'm not into indoor organics so I'll leave it to others to advise.

Sounds like overfeeding rather than under feeding to me.

1 person likes this

I use PM Soil, so very little nutes in that and I feed roughly according to the PM chart and they do fine all through veg and all through the first 6 weeks of flowering - and then they start going ropey. I don't think I overfeed as I very rarely go above what the chart says unless they need it.

Appologys I didn't see the 6week of flowering bit lol

Ignore me I'm stoned. lol

1 person likes this

Are you washing out all the nutrient salts that build up in the bottom of the soil (e2a: by that I mean get c. 30% of your watering volume running off)? Also, make sure you wash your trays as the salts can build up there too. I trust the pots are getting cleaned each time as well. I say this based on similar experiences and know it's not a case of under or over feeding....

Edited by mrrichiet
1 person likes this

@mrrichiet I don't think there are salts in organic nutes - but I do water with about 20% run off anyway. And yes I clean everything.

They are very low in salts but salts can get in by other means. You are right though. I kind of meant washing away minerals and nutrients and other shit that might build up but it sounds like you have that covered anyway. Still if you have a PPM meter it might be worth just checking the runoff and possibly comparing to the tap water? I'm clutching at straws here as I assume you've thought of all the obvious things! Give me a mo and I'll link another thread you've reminded me of where some other long term member was hitting the same wall at week 5...

26 minutes ago, ananda said:

I don't think I overfeed as I very rarely go above what the chart says unless they need it.

Thing is, charts are a rough guideline. BioBizz FishMix for instance says to go up to 4ml per Litre but I start off at 1 and increase by 0.5ml and never go over 2ml with bloom I'd switch over to 1ml FishMix and 1ml Bloom working up to 2ml bloom by week 4.

It's very easy to up the feed in small amounts but when you overfeed and get lockout you then have problems when you flush by washing out a lot of the beneficials which is why I never water to run off.

Dude I have had exactly the same problem as you all through my growing career and I think I may have solved my issues by keeping the rootzone temps at a steady 21c to 22c by using a heat mat and thermostat. Even at this time of year it appears that root zone temps can drop as my heat mat comes on every day at lights out. 

I am 5 weeks in and my plants usually are starting to look ropey by now but this time most of them are looking green and lush. 

2 people like this

@SMEG HEAD I know charts are a rough guide and I use it as a rough guide, I think if I was doing anything majorly wrong with the feed it would show up before week 6 in flower. If we take 6 weeks as an average of my veg time, that's 12 weeks with the plants doing fine, nearly 3 months before they start looking ropy. Surely if my feeding was a problem it would show up before 3 months.

@Smokebelch I always keep my roots warm enough.