Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

angryopium

[OT?] DIY Grow Tent, an introduction and some newbie questions

Hi all, 
I'm new on the forum and the growing world so bare with me please :)
I was trying to find a better section where to post this but I couldn't seem to find one, so here it is. (Moderators feel free to move around, or please PM me before removing as it'll be a quite long one :) ).

So, a bit of background.  I've been a smoker/lover for about 20 years, then for unknown reasons I started having bad reactions to (I think) THC so I had to quit :( Now, this all CBD world is exploding all around, did a bit of research about medical strains and, as where I leave it's impossible to find anything but crap, I decided to give it a go and try and grow my own. Problem is I don't really know if these weaker strains will cause me the same problems when "consumed" So I'd like to stay on the cheap and upgrade further on in case of success.

I've ordered some Sweet Nurse Auto CBD 5-10% THC/10-15% CBD and CBD Critical Cure 5% THC/8.5% CBD (and I also received a whole bunch (10/12) of high THC seeds), started buying some of the needed equipment and I'm "building" my tent (80x90x150cm, I used electrical pipes for the structure and I'll cover it with cardboard using emergency blankets as reflective material on the inside). As for lights I went for LED and I got a cheap COB 300w one off ebay (not sure if linking is allowed https://goo.gl/ugPPM6 ) 

Now the questions:

• I've been reading about fans and filters but I've seen on youtube some pretty experienced growers having good results without and saying that for air circulation it's enough to open the tent once/twice a day (https://youtu.be/lt-KNNAY80g min 4.14) And adding 1/2 small conventional fans for airflow. What's your take on that?
  • This leads to opening the tent, from my understanding it's ok to open the tent given you respect the light cycle (hence you open it when the light is on and keep it close, especially during flowering, when the light is off). Is that right?
  • Ventilation when the tent in closed. I was thinking to add a line of small holes close to the bottom on one side (where I'd put my fan so that it would kinda pull fresh air in from there) and the same on the top to the opposite side (from where the warm air is supposed to get out). Would that do? Also, shall I worry about the light leaking in from those holes or, making them small enough (say 6 holes 10mm), the amount of light will be irrelevant?
  • Finally, last but not least, I'd like to go as "organic" as possible, avoiding chemical nutes (even because they require flushing and water is kind of an issue on the island where I leave). I do make my own compost (coffee ground, tea leaves, egg shells and all the veg waste from salad, greens, fruit etc...), would you use it when potting? What else you suggest to use as an aid?

I think that's about it for the moment, be assured I'll be back bothering you guys with more questions once I'll start! I can't wait!!! I'll probably start with one because of the very small tent, most probably I'll go with the Sweet Nurse which is stated to be ready in 8 weeks from germination!

Peace

Extraction & filter is a must. Any grower who says you dont need it needs a punch in the dick. 

Without the fan your girls will cook to death and your house (and possibly the street) will stink of weed. It's a must, mot an optional accessory

Good luck

5 people like this

so your doing autos then?  im trying them too ...  best of luck with the grow mate

Agree with @Prophet mate extraction & filter not optional, i tried one of those led panels and although nowhere near as hot as a hps those little units can get quite warm, in my vegging space temps were hitting 29-30c (although it was also sat next to the flowering tent). :smokin:

Extraction is a must, if non grow friendly people will be within 100 yards, a filter is a must.

Don't disturb them during their dark period. 

Passive air intakes will do the job, fresh air being drawn in to replace the warm stale air removed by the extractor. 

never grow inside unless your using a fan & carbon filter, at the very least it'll cost you £100 for a good 4" fan & filter kit, there's no way around it,

you can either fry the plant's & stink the house out & face a very real chance of growing by the cops if your lucky, if your unlucky, it can be a group

of robbers looking to steal your gear, so the choice is your's.

1 person likes this

Mmm... damn... more money... :(
Would this do? https://goo.gl/6gDv5Z

By the way, thank you all for sharing your knowledge, appreciated!

Peace

Edited by angryopium
thanks

naw mate, it's cheap shit, also, its not advisable to buy grow gear off of ebay or amazon, have a look at one of the site's sponsor's Grow & Harvest, you get a 10% discount if your a uk420 member.

also, your not allowed to link ebay item's as the site owner doesn't like it when you compromise your safety by linking to something & then buying it, it's too easy for the power's that be to ask for the buyer's detail's !

2 people like this

Cool, I'll learn... thanks

1 person likes this

You could save a bit of cash by converting an existing wardrobe...but then you'd need a tent for your clothes lol jk

Either wait til next year and grow outdoors or get a tent. You really need your plants enclosed but with adequate air flow and air filtration.

You can get away with starting them off without a filter or tent if you're handy enough, knocking together a box of some sort, but growing them on from there isn't possible like this. I done it mate, tried alsorts until I got a tent and filter. Bits of string, flaps of cardboard here and there, blue tack, fckin tin foil for reflection, leaving a door open, closing it up at night... The list goes on. It worked while it did but it was never The A-Team and I consider myself very lucky I wasn't rumbled.

You're gonna have to find a way even if its beans on toast for a month. Start with a tent and see from there.

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Chester Copperpot said:

You can get away with starting them off without a filter or tent if you're handy enough, knocking together a box of some sort, but growing them on from there isn't possible like this.

Yup!! My first grow was done in a cardboard box - I don't really count it as a grow since I only pulled a 1/8th!! :rofl: Had it been more than that, the smell would likely have gotten me busted, and like @Chester Copperpot I count myself very lucky...

So, without wanting to flog a dead horse - filter and good air exchange is not optional if you want a reasonable yield for all your work and you don't want to have to explain yourself to a magistrate...

Cardboard box with a light and airflow will get you a week or two into veg, then, strain dependent, the plants need to be moved into something with a good air filter.

Good luck!

1 person likes this

Got this in the end... Hope it'll do (And hope the ebay seller is not a scammer!)!
RHINO HOBBY KIT 5M

Rhino Filter, 5 Ducting + RVK Fan & Clips

1 person likes this

On 10/10/2017 at 1:03 PM, Prophet said:

Extraction & filter is a must. Any grower who says you dont need it needs a punch in the dick. 

Without the fan your girls will cook to death and your house (and possibly the street) will stink of weed. It's a must, mot an optional accessory

Good luck

fucking quality lol

1 person likes this

On 12/10/2017 at 0:12 AM, angryopium said:

Got this in the end... Hope it'll do (And hope the ebay seller is not a scammer!)!
RHINO HOBBY KIT 5M

Rhino Filter, 5 Ducting + RVK Fan & Clips

Seller cancelled the order and refunded me as they realised they won't ship to Malta :(

I'll order this: 4 Inch 100 x 300mm Rhino Pro Carbon Filter RVK Fan Kit on eBay, 102 pounds plus 30 quid shipping...

1 person likes this