Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Themutznutz

Rootbound during flower

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello uk420

I am currently 25 days since the flip to 12/12, im growing Hso green crack in a 11 ltr pot of canna coco. A week or so ago I let her dry out by mistake. Days after I noticed some lower leaves yellowing and dropping off and I put this down to letting her dry out.

Anyway this seems to have continued despite being on full strength canna nutes. I pulled her out the pot and she appears to be rootbound (will post a pic shortly). My problem is indont have much heaf room for a deeper pot so would a wider one be sufficient? Also should trim any roots when transplanting?

Thanks

Edited by Themutznutz

Heres the pictures, what do you think?large.DSC_0096-1683x2992-841x1495.JPG

Posted (edited)

Roots stop growing after 2 weeks of 12/12 so they say. Adding a root tonic to the feed every so often to keep the roots nice maybe? Also in coco you will have to be feeding more often than in soil, coz coco dries out faster...but that's good because more feeding is what you want to get the oxygen through to the roots. You could go bigger, it might stop them drying out as quick but the roots should be done growing by now.

Edited by Chester Copperpot
4 people like this

Do you mean like cannazym? Shes dropping quite a few leaves at the min which is why im worrying plus I took her out the drobe before and every branch just flopped over?? Wtf

They were fine two days ago when i fed them

Yeah something like cannazym. I'm using Regen-A-Root and its doing a good job. Great value as well.

I'm not so sure what's causing the leaf drop though, I mean them roots look ok, its what we all aim for when in flower, a nice rooted pot... So that shouldn't be causing problems. Take a look at your environment, its strarting to get colder now, what are the temps like? Also you say you're on full strength nutes. What does that mean? Is it too strong for them?

Either way, them roots look ok, they're just gonna need more feeding (not a stronger feed, but more as in more frequent), so I'd relax about that. The leaf drop is being caused by a/some factor(s) above the coco IMO. Get some pics up of the plants themselves. Forget about the roots they are fine.

1 person likes this

I've done pretty much the same and the advice regards re-potting was - don't! Adjustment at this stage is only going to slow your growth down and that's going to impact your yield and quality.

Besides, as Chester has mentioned, there is no longer much point if you are 25days into flowering as you won't have any significant growth in the roots from now... Lastly, the roots look lovely - sure, there are a lot of them, but they have a good colour to them.

2 people like this

Thanks for the replies, I would get a picture of the plant but over the last few days something has happened and every branch now flops over completely when removed from the grow room. The only reason they stay up.in the grow ro is because the sides of the cab are supporting them.

I will get a picture once the lights come on.

That ring of roots is a lot thicker than  they appear on the picture.

Forgot to add full strength feed is currently 4ml per ltr of canna a and b, 0.5 ml per ltr calmag+ (every other watering) and 1tbsp molasses per 5 ltrs

Not sure what might make the plant flop like that...

Couple of thoughts...

1) Its unlikely to be due to your having let it run dry - I think it would have picked itself up by now, unless...

2) it may have problems taking up water/feed? Important to know the temps as plants can refuse to take up water if under heat stress - that coupled with root boundness... Maybe, as @Chester Copperpot advised, try giving multiple feeds to see if that helps things along.

3) 25 days into flowering is also around(ish) the point they peek out their stretch - have they gone a bit gangly in the stretch? Maybe they could use a wee bit of support?

Might be helpful to know if there are other signs of ill health - are the leaves wilting? Anything else?

Mention of feed: I can't comment on canna, but there are a number of signs for over/under feeding in the leaves - any discoloration, malformation, yellowing, or, blotches etc... Do you have any way of measuring your EC?

I'm also assuming that canna have a separate grow and bloom and that you have moved onto the bloom feed.

Hope it picks up for you...

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, Slugums said:

Do you have any way of measuring your EC?

:yep: you could do with knowing the EC until you have a grasp on what your mixing. I know 85 ml of my nutes in 12 litres of water with 10 ml of Regen-A-Root comes out at 1.5 EC on the pen, and pH 5.8 - 6 on the test kit colour chart, but I always check anyway. Had droopy plants as well. Didn't know what caused it but kept things steady and they perked up. If you are going in as soon as lights on they might be just waking up a bit? If so wait a while after the lights switch on.

Are the stems/branches hollow with very little pith in them? They might need staking if so.

Just to add I think I can make out some wispy undergrowth on that plant. Would be a good idea to tidy that up. Anything small and shaded under the canopy above is only gonna suck energy from the tops and in the end come to nothing anyway. Might be a bit late now but one for the future. Usually done before the turn of 2 weeks flowering. Don't know how long you been growing mate not meaning to teach you how to suck eggs like :v:

2 people like this

Thanks for the reply

In response to.number 2 this is why I was looking  towards it being root bound, I read a post describing the process of a plant becoming root bound and the symptoms etc and seemed to make my case.

3 yes they are quite gangly as u can see from the pics but they wer holding up fine days ago. Maybe I need a grame around the pot?

The leaves are starting to get quite dark so I may back off on the feed that could be causing the weak stems (n tox?)

Canna nutes are just a straight thru feed with a pk booster

large.DSC_0095-1683x2992-842x1496.JPGlarge.DSC_0096-2992x1683-1496x842.JPGlarge.DSC_0097-2992x1683-1496x842.JPGlarge.DSC_0098-1683x2992-842x1496.JPG

I would strip some of the small lower branches and keep her green .It's a nice plant .She ,would be slightly greener .

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Nothing overly wrong with that at all! Nice looking plant. Them yellowing leaves are only dropping off because they are getting no to very little light. It happens, they're being shaded from the mass above. You can take this if you like but if it was me - you see all the little growing shoots from about the bottom foot and a half up? I'd get rid of all that lot. Its a mess that wont come to anything, only it'll take the nutrition from what should be going to the tops where the light is. Its really nothing that will stress the plant too much and it'll save you trimming wispy buds that won't even develop. But for extra piece of mind double check its OK 25 days in bloom.... I would personally but that's me.

It needs staking up. Its normal for it to fall over spread eagled like that when it loses the support of the drobe walls.. Its just putting on weight!

7 people like this

hi mate,

they will be getting floppy because of the weight, the buds may look small for now but it does add a lot of extra weight to the stems, you need to stake them or make a frame for them for some support imo....

5 people like this

Looks ok to me it’ll be thirsty though. I’d do ask mentioned and defoliate the yellowing leaves 

5 people like this