Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

kytaez

DIY Aeroponics DTW

56 posts in this topic

Plus you need a micro nutrients mix.

I did bought a 1kg pack of Solufeed TEC after a bit of research. That bag should last me around 200 years.

There are few fert calculators online where you can enter desired profile and it will tell you how much you need of each.

Nutrients are cheap, calculators free.

Good scales (0.01) is the only expensive thing in going DIY route.

Edited by kytaez

2 hours ago, Geo said:

Out of curiousity I made up 5L with the equivalent elemental ppm and it came in at PH 5.7, EC: 0.55. Cost 0.3p (0.06p/L) excl the RO ;)

What is your RO pH? My is around 6.0 and after I mix nutrients in I have to UP it a little with "liquid silicon"

Nutes are cheap but the initial outlay can sting the old wallet ;) You`ll need at least 11 chems for most formulations. The chems you`ll use the most of are the cheapest (calcium nitrate, mag sulphate, pennies per kg), the ones you use least of are the most expensive (Molybdate £45/kg)   Premixed micro mixes are cheaper than buying micro seperates but, on the flipside. using seperates gives you the option of custom micro mixes. Just checked some RO thats been standing for a whle and the ph is 6.78, tds 8ppm, just a cheap 3 stage unit.

2 people like this

Good start of the week everyone!

Root chambers runoff still confusingly low in EC 0.3 :unsure:

That is with incoming EC 1.0

However, I did switched to CANNA DTW nutrients now and decided to keep it around EC 1.1 for a while. I wouldn't like to damage that root system.

Tonight I'll do more measurements on runoff. 

I've got a question here (probably stupid one) how does pressure affects microorganisms? I mean pressure in the expansion vessel and lines. Bacteria? Fungi? And the pressure drop when solution comes out of nozzles. Can they survive. I'm planning to run sterile but this question always bugged me. It was after reading that you shouldn't apply benefitial bacteria by the hand sprayer...

Hi UK420ers!

I switched to CANNA nutes on Saturday but not sure if it's ok to rise the EC even higher... I'm at the EC 1.1 pH 5.5 now. 

Runoff is EC 0.2  pH 6.8 

Misting 2sec every 6.5 min.

Roots loving it and tops doing a lot better. 

large.IMG_20181105_213121-2080x1560.jpglarge.IMG_20181105_213134-2080x1560.jpglarge.IMG_20181105_213253-2080x1560.jpglarge.IMG_20181105_213203-2080x1560.jpglarge.IMG_20181105_213316-2080x1560.jpglarge.IMG_20181105_213325-1560x2080.jpg

1 person likes this

I`d leave it where it is for now but keep a watchful eye on the runoff ppm, EC isnt as useful for tracking small changes.  When they are back upto speed you`ll likely see the runoff ppm begin to increase. The roots are looking nice and white, overmisted roots or roots sitting in runoff are usually off white to light beige.

Edited by Geo
1 person likes this

Cheers Geo!

I'll stick to that for a while and see what happens. Will try to measure runoff during "lights off" to see if there is any difference.

I just find it strange that they can consume so much in one go! 

BTW one of my misters timers is melted a bit and I'm pretty sure it's dead. So there is no way I can do "lights on/off" timing adjustments. Have to find another way of doing it.... 

1 person likes this

Cant imagine how you melted it with 12v and 1 amp but easily fixed and upgraded for £7 :) I would compare the amount of runoff to what you have going in, lights on and lights off, which will tell you how much they`re using and when. Good thing to know when running dtw and the results can give you some useful insights to whats going on in the rootzone.

Dunno how it did happened. The whole thing worked ok for a week or two and then it just wouldn't fire up solenoids. Opened the box and side of one of timers looked melted a bit. It still turns the little light on itself when needed, but there isn't any voltage going to solenoids. 

The cheapest analogue timer I found is £32. Do you know something I don't? Where is those £7 came from? :wacko:

53 minutes ago, Geo said:

I would compare the amount of runoff to what you have going in, lights on and lights off, which will tell you how much they`re using and when. Good thing to know when running dtw and the results can give you some useful insights to whats going on in the rootzone.

I would love to do that! But I'm not indoors at my "sunset". The only chance is a weekend. 

Hi everyone!

Quick update .

The plants look happier now and I think they were just hungry. ATM they taking in EC-1.4 pH-5.6 and the runoff is EC-0.4 pH-6.5 

No more roots pictures for now as I can't physically take them. Waiting for the access panels to arrive so I can get into a chambers to check on the roots.

Also I had to shorten the intervals between the spray bursts cos I wasn't getting any runoff. ATM I'm having around 100ml from each chamber in 24h but I'm yet to find out how much is going in, before calculating the real life consumption. 

Finally I tidied up the plants and got rid of old dead and yellowing leaves. Hoping for more green colour to come  :lucky:

And few pictures...

large.IMG_20181117_225439-2080x1560.jpg

large.IMG_20181117_225350-2080x1560.jpg

large.IMG_20181117_225409-2080x1560.jpg

Have a nice beginning of the week! 

3 people like this