Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

kytaez

DIY Aeroponics DTW

61 posts in this topic

I probably will have to sort some nute cooler for a hot months. Nutrient solution was +26° couple weeks ago. 22° ATM . 

13 minutes ago, kytaez said:

Temperature 23°C

RH 65%

Roots are going mad. I can see new growth today comparing to last night. It's the canopy that still looking sad :(

2 minutes ago, kytaez said:

I probably will have to sort some nute cooler for a hot months. Nutrient solution was +26° couple weeks ago. 22° ATM . 

Going to need more than this. What are lights on/ lights off temp and RH? What is your nutrient solution averaging? 22 is a bit high I think. How many lights do you have over them currently - could you be over egging the pudding? Also the root mass is pretty large for the size of plant ontop of it, 0.5ec might be too low. 

2 people like this

I know where you coming from! It's just that belief about aeroponics need a fraction of a nutrients comparing to traditional hydro methods. 

I might try to rise EC a little bit next week. 

1 person likes this

Check the root chamber temp, its more important than the nute temp ;) A picnic coolbox will keep the nutes cool, the trick is not to have more nutes than you need sitting around. I cant find any info on the b`cuzz hydro nutes so no clue on the makeup. If you ran high doses of chlorine its likely to have raised the rootzone ph, did you flush with ph`d RO afterwards? If not, best check the ph of the runoff to see whats what  ;) The canna flores bloom is lighter on N than the vega so its not ideal for making up lost (veg) ground. If the b`cuzz nutes are formulated for veg i`d stick with that. To give them a giddy up you could try dropping the ph to 5.5 and running 2sec/300sec timing for 24 hours. Assuming you have 2 nozzles in each tote, it wont take any more than 3-4 litres of nutes. The roots will be a little wetter than ideal but its only for a day and they`ll soon bounce back when you`ve got the canopy on track. 

1 person likes this

.Cheers Geo 

Roots chambers temps about the same as ambient temperature in the room. I doubt I can drop it anyhow. Best thing I can do is insulate it a bit. In the winter months I might get some heating matts installed at the bottom of chambers if needed.

The flushing with chlorine I've done into separate container not into root zone. Followed by hydrogen peroxide flush and then ph'd RO flush.

This morning I found that the white slime is back to the main nutrient tank again. I think the reason is that little circulation pump I have in there rising temperature of solution. And you right again about having a minimum volume. Just got myself a smaller tank and connectors. Going to flush the whole system again and make a new batch of solution in new tank minus circ pump. 

Back to The Loft. See you in few hours...

System flushed and new tank connected. Fresh nutrient solution is mixed. Timer set to 2sec ON/ 4.5min OFF

large.IMG_20181027_181733-2496x1872.jpg

large.IMG_20181027_184514-2080x1560.jpglarge.IMG_20181027_184456-2080x1560.jpglarge.IMG_20181027_184533-2080x1560.jpglarge.IMG_20181027_184554-2080x1560.jpg

Probably going to order CANNA hydro Vega as it's designed for run to waist systems.

On 26/10/2018 at 9:17 PM, Golden Syrup said:

Going to need more than this.

Air temperature in Growroom

Lights on  25

Lights off 22

Humidity varies between 40 and 65 percent.

Root chambers temperature 2 degrees lower than ambient.

Tank is outside the room and with the circulating pump constantly ON nutrients temperature was the same as air inside the growroom. Now without the pump In the tank nutrients are 19°

All that data is subject to the weather conditions outside.

Lights are DIY 450w LEDs Cree CXB3590 based full blast at around 600mm above the canopy. 

The growroom is fine. It's the aeroponics I have to learn. And I do really appreciate any help on this path! 

Cheers UK420rs!

2 people like this

Looked into the root chambers last night and I'm pleased with progress and I finally see some hairy roots :)

Also measured the runoff solution.

EC-0.3 pH-6.4  

Everything tells me that I've got to up the EC. 

How do people run aeroponics with EC 0.2 - 0.4 ?????

Probably my roots ain't fit for that sort of job.... 

Anyways, I'll get EC up to 0.8 tonight and will keep eye on the drain measurements. 

large.IMG_20181030_191312-2080x1560.jpglarge.IMG_20181030_191333-2080x1560.jpglarge.IMG_20181030_191658-2080x1560.jpglarge.IMG_20181030_191707-2080x1560.jpg

Edited by kytaez
Pics
2 people like this

ive got to say, the roots look great, but the plants, er.......

I don't have experience of aeroponics, but where doing flood and drain I know the feeds were upped compared to rdwc, as the plant gets less feed, through a shorter immersion time, therefore it needs to be at a higher ec, for the plant to take nutrients out of the solution..

I cant say if this would work, but those plants do look really hungry, and I think if you leave them as they are, it will be a disappointing result.

If it were me id be upping the feed quite a bit. At this stage I don't think there is anything to lose.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, badbillybob said:

If it were me id be upping the feed quite a bit. At this stage I don't think there is anything to lose.

Totally agree with you!

I just did upped the feed to EC-0.8 

Also I extended OFF time to 6.5min as the roots looked really saturated.

Last night received the parcel with CANNA hydro Vega 

Leaked all over the packaging, and it's for HARD WATER :wallbash:

I nearly lost it messaging the seller....

Probably going to mix my own nutrients over the weekend. Just need to dig for DTW profiles for vegetative period. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated too!

Friday tomorrow :)

1 person likes this

Canna hydro vega (soft water version) 1g/L

NO3: 56, NH4: 4, P: 9, K: 63, Mg: 9, Ca: 41, Fe: 0.21

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Geo said:

Canna hydro vega (soft water version) 1g/L

NO3: 56, NH4: 4, P: 9, K: 63, Mg: 9, Ca: 41, Fe: 0.21

Cheers Geo 

That'll save me some scrolling around. I'll get my calculator out tonight and see if I can match some numbers. :yep:

1 person likes this

Out of curiousity I made up 5L with the equivalent elemental ppm and it came in at PH 5.7, EC: 0.55. Cost 0.3p (0.06p/L) excl the RO ;)

2 people like this

where do you buy the ingredients for these diy mixes Geo?

is it in powder form and you just add water, or whats the story?

•  Calcium Nitrate – Ca(NO3)2
  •  Potassium Nitrate – KNO3
  • Sulfate of Potash – K2SO4
  • Monopotassium Phophate – KH2PO4
  • Magnesium Sulfate – MgSO4 * 7H2O
1 person likes this