Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Growgreen

Help! Girls tiny and not growing

24 posts in this topic

Hi, first post for a while and was hoping for some help if anyone can advise. Can't put up any pics I'm afraid, so I'll just have to describe as best as I can. Growing in nft 424 in a tent in my shed. 600w light, six inch fan and filter, using canna a, b, and pythoff. 

So I had a good few successful grows in my old 205 tank, and about two years back upgraded to a bigger tank, and since then my grows have got progressively worse. Upgraded my fan, filter, new bulb, new tent, and since all this I've had nothing but problems. Had pythium in the past, but not been evident since using pythoff. Basically my last two/three grows have been mediocre at best, had a lot of issues with algae in the tank, and my tent was like a vacuum, so I've tried to rectify all of this after starting this current grow. I've bought a fan controller so my fan isn't going at full tit any more, added a five inch intake fan, and my tent sides are still drawn in, but not massively, and I know negative pressure is a good thing. Sure my main issue was a lack of oxygen for my girlies, so got all the bits mentioned, and bought some white sheeting to try to eradicate the algae issue. My girls looked fine when they went in, but just didn't take off, probably about two months ago now, so got my intake and light leaks sorted, turned my extraction down, took the girls out and gave everything a thorough clean with hydrogen peroxide and water. Then I've reintroduced my girls to the tray, sat them on some matches so the rockwool doesn't get too wet, although I've not a spreader Matt as I'd run out, and thought they should take off in a few days. However, they've been in their for about three weeks now, and they really are not doing anything. I've three girls in there, all evenly spread, and the only one that's shown any improvement since the clean up is the last one in the tray. They're literally about 3-4 inches tall with very little foliage, with the first two looking limp and lacklustre. They're being fed at 0.5 ec, and this seems to be staying fairly steady so I don't think the issue is there. If anyone can offer any kind of ideas/solutions I'd be forever in your debt. Make my wife oil for health reasons, and she's had to go without  for a few weeks now as we don't want to run out of smoke before this current grow is ready. Worth noting my last grow was pretty much the same, and in full flower the girls only reached 2-3 foot, whereas I normally give them a good veg and expect them to be 5ft ish at crop. The roots at crop were brown, and they were very small and weak.

thanks a lot in advance, I truly hope someone has ideas as I'm fast running out of any. 

GG

Ditch the hydro.  You've already lost the time it's meant to save you.  So if it ain't quick and productive it's costing you time,  product and leccy for nowt.

Chuck the existing plants into soil or coco and pop a few extra beans.

Then crack on.  You can mess about with the tank another time.

Disinfect pumps tubes fittings etc.

Get spreader mat etc.

My 2p

4 people like this

as phoenix says, or go back to your original setup....

2 people like this

sorry to hear your problems mate, I've been there myself, I did not get the bigger tank I got a second 205 instead, it feels like your going around in circles , I pretty much done the same as you buying new gear trying to fix the unknown problem. trying to track it down is how I ended up joining uk420 in the first place. I finally tracked my problem down to fecking blackfly eating the roots, they hide and are tricky wee buggers. the spreader mat is really important mate, I would pull them out the tank, let them dry out a bit and get some healthy looking roots coming out the block before you put them back in the tank with mat down. I think this is where folk go wrong with nft, I wait until I get roots out the sides of the blocks, not just a few out the bottom. it can take a week or two but its worth it. I'll see if I can think of anything else when i'm out with the dog  

5 people like this

^ rabs nailed it imo.

I'd take them out of the system and let them root out the cube before putting back on.

Pump on half for a week or so then full speed ahead!

With nft the main thing where people go wrong is like rab said which leads to a soaking wet cube,overwatering and stumping the plants.

When you get it right the growth is explosive!

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Growgreen said:

The roots at crop were brown, and they were very small and weak.

Lack of oxygen in the root zone I would guess, as @rabthegrower says they need a good root system before going into nft.

Put in too early, especially in rockwool (horrible bloody stuff) then the roots drown and root rot sets in.

......and also what @stu sleeper 20vt says......:yep:

3 people like this

@stu914

Where is the @ button Stu if I type it it don't work and it used to be below the user name but now I can't see it anywhere?

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

Where is the @ button

I use the @ on the keyboard, then start to type in the name and click on it when it comes up in the options...

works for me unless I make a mistake and try to go back, then end up having to start all over...... I think the button is history......

1 person likes this

Thanks a lot for all the advice, it really is very much appreciated. Sure I read somewhere that spreader mats aren't important? Anyway, I'll take them out the tray now, whack them in bowls and see what happens. Hopefully they'll spring back to life. Properly gutted and doing my nut in, it really is. The only saving grace is I gave up smoking over two months ago now, and hardly go through any weed now using my vape. I'll let you all know how I get on, and thanks once again, all your help and knowledge is invaluable. 

GG

4 people like this

@Growgreen

I did forget to ask, are the rockwool blocks currently soaking wet?

23 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Lack of oxygen in the root zone I would guess, as @rabthegrower says they need a good root system before going into nft.

Put in too early, especially in rockwool (horrible bloody stuff) then the roots drown and root rot sets in.

......and also what @stu sleeper 20vt says......:yep:

@stu914 

Nope...ah fuck it

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt

One was fine, one was soaked, and one was dry. I think my floors a bit on the wonk! 

You'll not recover lost time fucking about with hydro.  Yes its fast and efficient when it is the aforementioned but alas another week is lost.  Recover the plants and put them in coco cause you got hydro nute's.   Builders buckets or flexible tubs.  Spend the rest of this cycle sorting your "efficient" hydro system and make it so. 

I never tell folks to ditch plants.  I try and advise the best 'I' can.

Hope you get your Mrs her meds mate..

Worked ok with the spreader mat eh?

Flow can be reduced in hydro systems easily using a g clamp on the outflow tube.  Just saying like......

;)

N.f.t.

New found technology I say.  Bloody acronyms abound.

None of your film technique round here...

:eek: