Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bazil brush

aphids

19 posts in this topic

any good chemicals to treat them with? they are not much of a problem as i skoosh them off with a hose, was wondering if neem works for them? im in a greehouse....

1 person likes this

sbpi is quite good mate

1 person likes this

I had big issues with sbpi, it stopped my plants developing early and they just finished over night, I am sure Owderb said the same thing.

I would just use the hose mate

3 people like this

i have been using the same bottle for about 10 years they may have changed recipe with ownership or somthing then.. cheers for the heads up

2 people like this

No worries mate, it might be strain dependant, I used it about 5 years ago, might have just been unlucky, I`m very careful what I use in bud now, only really Harkers early on tbh.

2 people like this

Go out and find some ladybirds/larvae?

Lots about this time of year

4 people like this

Neem repel is a very  good product. 

Works a treat.  

Usually one application is enough if it's just a few nasties about. 

I spray the hell out of the plants and around/under the pots  just after lights out.

Ive used it in my allotment greenhouse with no problems. 

I mist all the surfaces 

A 250ml bottle will last a lifetime 

:)

Edited by Ramjam
2 people like this

Is it too much to hope that garlic (2 - 3 cloves, plus 2-3 teaspoons of washing up liquid) in a 5 litre hand pump sprayer (garden fence type) would do any good if not the trick?

I blitzed greenfly (I'm assuming the same as aphids) with a much higher concentration of just washing up liquid with a hand sprayer and the only proper rose I've got didn't like it one bit, no fecking aphids now there -buggers must've upped to my honeysuckle.  I don't like roses so it doesn't matter about them but I'll go full nuclear war for the honeysuckle(s) and already very promising nelly moser.

I've attached a pic just to be sure my understanding of aphids is correct.  Dirty little bassa's with their eyes looking back at me photographing them!!!!!!

Thanks for any advice, I'm holding the slightest hope I can salvage this year but if not then it's all learning

Need to google lady bird larvae - thanks

large.5af76de92aec6_DSC00658(2)-Copy.JPGlarge.5af76de786b35_DSC00659(2)-Copy.JPG

I'll add this to just get the yucky feeling of those feckers above out my mind, not to mention just to post this pic anywhere :)

large.5af76dea84e81_DSC00265-Copy.JPG

ATB

Posted (edited)

its all a balancing act, def look up ladybird larvae or find some, thats the part that is out of balance, next look for ants and get rid of those if they are there, they work together with the aphids and help them thrive by protecting them from predators

Good luck mate

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
3 people like this

2 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

its all a balancing act, def look up ladybird larvae or find some, thats the part that is out of balance, next look for ants and get rid of those if they are there, they work together with the aphids and help them thrive by protecting them from predators

Good luck mate

its mental, thats animal husbandry the ants are doing.

3 people like this

Thanks @blackpoolbouncer

Yeah I'd noticed or rather thinking about it now not noticed many this year, just put it down to being too early for them not sure if that's true though.  Plenty bees which is reassuring.

Fairy War on the western front it is then :)

ATB

1 person likes this

ant enslave aphids, they farm them to obtain honeydew, honeydew has the same affect as fungus even has a look of fungus so if the ants don't eat it it will eat your plants, greenfly whitefly and lots of other colours are all aphids there are thousands of species, when the plant dies they grow wings then fly to the next plants where they attack the roots.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, bazil brush said:

its mental, thats animal husbandry the ants are doing.

I'm right there with you @bazil brush - snails and slugs have been a major problem for a couple of years, this year seemed to be lessening (the garden is like the aftermath of a blue confetti accident) with all the little blue pellets dotted about everywhere.  I had wondered if that could've been the cause by taking out them, the aphids prospered.  Maybe not, but learning that although they're slimey horrid creatures from outer space they all serve a purpose. 

Worms - now I think they should have blue lycra suits with red and yellow S's on them.  :)

ATB

when an ant wueen forms a new nest she actually takes some aphid aggs with her for the ride, dont know about slugs man, i used traps with pellets in last year and knocked them back, also having containers with water hiding under planters up on bricks helps, it allows the nematodes to breed, glasses or glass jars set into the ground can be filled with cheap bee or yeast sugar mix, they go drown in it.

1 person likes this

if you get root aphids use sand, put sand in the tray the pots sit in and a couple of inches on the top, aphds have soft bodies sands slits them open and they dehydrate

1 person likes this