Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boojum

My Dear Old Thing

I know there aren't many cricket fans here, but there are a few (and I know there are one or two Test Match Special fans :) we few, we happy few, we band of brothers lol ). The great Henry Blofeld (whose father was probably the inspiration for the name of the Bond villain) gave his final cricket commentary earlier. Blowers has been one of the voices of cricket for my entire life, I love cricket and TMS, and Blowers has always been a part of that. His musings about buses, and cranes, and thoughtful looking pigeons have become a part of summer for me. Hope he has a great retirement, dressed in his colourful finery. My dear old thing :notworthy:

Edited by Boojum
7 people like this

Listened intently the last few days, love Blowers, shame the match ended early and we missed out on two extra magical days of commentary, he'll be much missed by me that's for sure!

1 person likes this

Wish it was the wife beating Yorkshire lout Boycott who was retiring instead of Blowers.

2 people like this

44 minutes ago, Boojum said:

Wish it was the wife beating Yorkshire lout Boycott who was retiring instead of Blowers

Couldn't agree more, what a horrible knowitall fucker he truly is, boring batsmen when he played and irritating fuckwit now....no time for him...

Much preferred cricket coverage on channel 4, mainly because I object to paying for something that was once free but now helps to line

the pockets of the corporations, put me out of touch a wee bit now it's on Sky......just left with the highlights in the evening, Oh, and some cake......:wassnnme:

;)

1 person likes this

My dear old thing, indeed! His departure feels like I'm losing an old friend ~ like Boojum, his voice will always be one of those great things about cricket. In terms of TMS, I am at least glad that dear old Aggers will be around for a while. I hope so, at least. And Tuffers is coming along just swimmingly, I think.

Long live Test Match Cricket! I guess that this last test is the first time some folks here have ever seen true, devastatingly unplayable spin bowling. What an absolute gem of a player we have in Stokes. Let alone Anderson and one or two others. Top order needs some attention, although the last game showed a bit more solidity up there. Can't be leaving the whole game on the poor old mid order-cum-bowlers!

Been a jolly good cricket summer, all in all.

Here comes the Ashes your down under, though. I think we're ready and Root looks like the part.

3 people like this

TMS won't quite be the same without him. We listen to it in the van at work while getting baked, his ramblings about random, almost irrelevant stuff will be sorely missed. :yep:

1 person likes this

Even my mother in her last years grew to love listening to TMS. As far as I know she didn't have a clue about the sport, just loved listening to the chat, especially from Henry.

1 person likes this

Blofeld, Johnston, CMJ, Arlott   .....

I'd forgotten these 'household' names. This is bringing back some quite wonderful memories.

Not least me trying to explain the rules to my mum many decades ago.

Much as I tried, there was clearly a barrier stopping mum from grasping what I was saying.

It took a long time but I eventually sussed out the problem. She thought that those with different 'strips' on were against each other (just like football!).

Once I explained who the umpires were we moved on.

2 people like this

In my younger days I always had something of a class issue with these guys.  Despite cricket being a working class sport where I grew up, I did feel a bit affected stopping mid-fight against the national front so that I could listen to Blofeld do a round up of the day's action against the antipodes.  As I've gotten older, I realise the commentator class is quite a separate thing.  Blofeld, like Bill McLaren in rugby union, had the rare ability to be excited about the sport regardless of the results.  In an ashes series, which is likely to be all Australia, he's exactly the kind of person I could listen to talking about the matter of fact stuff.  Do we really need to be told that every single batsman can't cope with the pace in aus?