Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

foxtail

Lighting for germinating seeds in root riot

Hi all,

I'm growing my seeds in root riot and was wondering how much light / temperature they should have/ be exposed to at this stage? I've seen many videos of mini tents, like under-the-counter things with lots of light and I'm presuming heat. many thanks in advance

THey don't need a lot of light at all. A cfl 8w house bulb is plenty for germinating seeds. If you're looking to buy new lights to suit them then T5's are ideal. You can pick them up for about £50-60 and they last ages. Great for keeping cuttings/clones too. Once they're sprouted give them low light and slowly increase it to suit their growth. If using a high intensity light like a 600w for example you would want i a good 1.5 away from them and slowly lower it to meet their growing demands. Somewhere around 20c is fine for them. They're just delicate when that small and can dry out fast so humidity is good for the early days, just don't over soak the roots. Ideally stick them in an airy propogator until they have a couple of nodes in growth. Some use heated propogators or heat matts. I've heard horror stories about them frying young plants though so I never had the balls to turn mine on. :D I'm sure if you had one with temperature controls it would be safe to puit it on low.

Edited by Snowziff
5 people like this

they should be in darkness mate, until they pop the surface and then any light will do.  you don't want to use to big a light to start with though, it will be a waste of electric and light....

3 people like this

@Snowziff

if you fill the heated prop with a layer of pebbles or something then it will be ok, its only if you sit pots directly onto the prop surface that it will fry them, I know cos I fried cuttings before I found out about filling them with something  lol  

The box my prop came in also had pebbles filling the bottom of the tray in the pictures, iv always used pebbles on them since I noticed it and iv never had any problems with them since.

3 people like this

Nice tip! Thanks @craigfjyp I'll be using that!

Well I would if I hadn't cut the cable off the prop lol. I'll get some new ones soon though.

Edited by Snowziff
3 people like this

For germination? None at all. Complete darkness till you see it pops up. Main factor is temp of Root Riot, after watering. Mine are always in the Airing cupboard where it's snug and complete darkness. TBH I get quite jealous when it's cold, friggin tank in the way for me to get in lol 

There's no light underground outside :) If conditions are right then germination commences, and the seed will give energy to producing a tail (root) first, so to give it enough strength and stability to then convert the energy to pop it's head up. Hopefully with out the helmet. 

Good luck and safe growing :lucky:

1 person likes this

Thanks so much for this. Appreciated. What temperature range?

Edited by foxtail

About 20-22c or if you like Fahrenheit like me somewhere between 73 and 76f. I'm not sure if everyone would agree on that but I find room temp and high humidity really do well. :)

1 person likes this

In a prop', in the airing cupboard is good. :)

1 person likes this

how do i upload an image from my computer for the purpose of asking questions?

On 09/10/2017 at 7:26 AM, foxtail said:

how do i upload an image from my computer for the purpose of asking questions?

Top right of the page is a tab named 'Create'. Tap that and either create new album or choose continue without creating album. From there you'll geet te option to upload a file from your pc.

The other way to do it is to create an album attached to your profile and then link images from there using the 'instert other media' button to the right and below the box you type posts in. You select the 'insert existing attachment' option and it'll allow you to choose any image from your gallery that you previously uploaded. Bit complicated but once you get yor head around it it's actually not so tricky.

Images may need resizing to be able upload them if they're large files. You can shrink them in ms paint or photoshop or whatever application you're familiar with. There's a tutorial knocking about somewhere if you feel like a quick search.

Hope that helps.

When I started my first grow I had nothing but my 250w MH, still to this day I pop the seeds in a glass of water till they crack, then the paper towel method until tap root is 1.5cm then bury the seed (tap root down) in 2cm of soil with the MH 1.5ft above, it's never failed me :)

Best i've found for seedlings is a 125w cfl (6500k). Little heat so it'll go nice and close, lots of light for a seedling, they grow like stink!