Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bobbles

A Good Year for Wine?

31 posts in this topic

This is starting to look like a very good year for Chateaux bobbles.

A decent September and my cru as well as my buds are going to be photographed again.

large.59ad77506f579_Crub.jpglarge.59ad774beffdc_Crua.jpg

large_Cruc.jpg 

8 people like this

They look great to my eye. Is that an old, established plant or could an incomer like me grow one in a few years or so? How do they eat? Worth growing for those of us who have accepted defeat when it comes to booze?

Questions, questions. Sorry :D

I don't mind questions. They make me feel important.

I planted them 6 years ago but they were fruiting well in the third. Each year gets better.

When buying vines, you can choose a specifically wine grape, a dessert variety or a mix of the two. I chose one that tastes good but can, so I'm told, make a decent wine. I hope to find out this year. You will also have a choice of 'vigour' of plant, but my experience is that its immediate environment has more to say on that than genetics. 

Planting advice worth having:-

Prepare the ground well (plenty of drainage).

Think about where you might train your plant(s) to grow. (I built a pergola).

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this

Important,eh? :D Cool, added value.

Nice one. Mulling over planting some in a new garden that's on the horizon. No fixed destination yet though so early stages to say the least.

1 person likes this

A little update on Chateaux Bobbles:-

large.59bcf0502e166_Latestgrapes.jpg

Grapes are fattening up and getting darker. I have designs on wine production this year but my missus is already eating them like a possessed she-devil. (She thinks its a race between her and the birds as to who can eat the most)

large.59bcf04b7ccab_Startingtolookfat.jpg

These fat boys are nearly there. One good week of sun (or at least not incessant rain) and I'll be harvesting.

5 people like this

They look lovely mate @bobbles

It's a good year for a lot of wild fruits too. Sloe's are mega this year, along with many others.

Enjoy your wine making. Have you brewed much befor?

Nice one,

Tigs :guitar:

1 person likes this

@tigseyjnr

Thanks for that.

I've never made wine before but I hope to have a stab at it this year. I brew my own beer (mostly kit beers) so I have most of the equipment. But we'll see.

As for other fruits that went well this year, strawberries, tomatoes and apples have been superb, but my blueberries were disappointing and my plums were hopeless.

But as my sons tell me at the end of each unsuccessful football campaign, 'there's always next season'.

I've done a bit of brewing, mainly beer, but some wines too. Have Ginger Beer on the go, needs bottling up actually!

Steralisation is important with the wine..

I'm not too fussy when making beer, as it brews fairly quick. I usually just use boiling water to clean everything.

For wine, you've got to do it properly, as it sits for so long. Bottled 6 months minimum for anything half decent. 1 year plus, and it will taste proper.

If you want to try something different beer wise, try making sage beer. Its like a nectar from the gods!!

And a quick and easy summer 4week  wine/champ recipie, look up Rhubarb or Elderflower Champagne, but  that's one for next season now.

Nice one,

3 people like this

I've never heard of Sage beer. Since its that good I'll look it and give it a shot next year. I'll let you knowhow I get on.

Thanks for the tip on wine making.

Good luck with the ginger beer brew. 

No problem @bobbles

I only really make simple brews, but all the one's i mentioned are easy, and delicious.

Thanks, and you :cheers:

Used to make wine years ago.   Never did get any grapes though when I had them, ground too heavy really and didn't know what to do properly :doh: The wine though, phew, Rhubarb was good, hit 17% on the hydrometer :eek:  Was Champagne yeast, but shouldn't have really survived that level so I dunno whether I'd measured it right, it was powerful though :headpain:

4 people like this

I used make shitloads of cider, not made any reciently since I cut down on drinking, went abit overboard bought a 90l press and 200l fermenter lol nothing better than making your own from scratch, same as growing your own weed in many ways.

4 people like this

9 hours ago, botanics said:

The wine though, phew, Rhubarb was good, hit 17% on the hydrometer :eek:

Sounds good mate :yep:

Sure you can get that strong with good champagne yeast, and extra goodies. There will be natural yeasts on the rhubarb (you might have had a good one), and with the natural sugars, could all get it upto 17%.

Off the top of my head, 19% plus and your getting into port/liquors and distilation processes.

My mate done a banana wine, using champagne yeast and it was mega strong. Bloody delicious too. Another good recomendation, but it needs time.

I like the rhubarb champagne (and elderflower champ's) because they are ready in a few weeks (not really champagne, just fizzy, slightly alchoholic juice). Can me made with or without adding yeast, as the natural yeasts usually give it a couple of %. Perfect daytime summer bbq drink. It's so quick and easy, i once made it (elderflower)  while working at Glastonbury Festival. Made a fortune selling it in paper cups. Cost me a bag of sugar, and a lemon.

Nice one,

1 person likes this

@tigseyjnr

Oh well I might well have measured it correctly then, it was very dry, Champagne Rhubarb that was used mate and it blew my brains out, took a while to clear but I didn't use finings or anything, let the yeast burn out and take all the sugars, racked off a few times and cleared lovely...I remember doing apple wine though and had to use pectinase and finings etc to clear that one, took me a while for that wine, was ok like, never did any red's though because I only had clear Demijohns...all this talk is getting the old appetite whet again lol

1 person likes this

its been a great year on my vines as well down sowf.......... Chateaux Ital will accompany Salt and chips perfectly :)

2 people like this