Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bobbles

Films that divide

One of my all time favourite films is The Big Lebowski. I've watched it a few times and it cracks me up every time. Every bloke who's seen it (who I've spoken to) thinks the same.

Every woman I've spoken to about it however tends to say something like ...  -  'I watched it for half an hour, couldn't see what the fuss was about and went and did something else'.

I'm not trying to be sexist here but what buttons where the Cohen brothers pressing to get these different responses?

I admit the number of women I know who tried to watch is only 3 or 4, -  so a pretty small sample. But .......

1 person likes this

I think you should get out more:yes:

5 people like this

Correlation is not causation, I've known 2 who quite like it. If you really want to know if that large-handed easy chick you picked up from the place next door to that tranny bar isn't be-goolied before unwrapping, put on The Battle of Algiers. That, my friend, is a cock radar of a film if ever there was one.

2 people like this

@j.o.i.n.t

I was not suggesting that the correlation of responses to the film has any causation effect.

But that apart, I watched The Battle of Algiers yesterday. I'm not sure about its cock-radar credentials but it is a fascinating film. I can't remember seeing a film on the subject of occupation and resistance quite like it. - An education - .Thanks for putting me on to it.

1 person likes this

Happy to introduce it, @bobbles. It is a masterpiece. One of Ennio Morricone's best scores I think, if you're into the revolution/insurgency vibe. Tarentino nicks loads of in Inglorious Bastards.

@j.o.i.n.t

Thanks for that.  I've got a copy of Inglorious Bastards in the house somewhere and never bothered to watch it as it looks like another attempt by the Americans to re-write the history of WWII while glorifying violence in the pursuit of their own elevated sense of self righteousness.

If you have a couple of spare hours to spare and a joint awaiting you, you could do worse than watch 'Death in Venice'. Its about a composer (Mahler probably) and not much happens by most film's standards, but Visconti puts on a treat for the eyes, ears and mind. His use of Mahler's 5th is wonderful. I highly recommend it.

1 person likes this

I've always thought The Big Lebowski was massively overrated and I'm a bloke...:sadwalk:...on the subject of Battle for Algiers, the director Gillo Pontecorvo made another fascinating film that deserves to be better known... Burn! (1969) starring Marlon Brando....not as accomplished cinematically as Battle for Algiers but still well worth checking out...

Edited by Billy2Hats
2 people like this

@Billy2Hats

I'm a big Brando fan but I'd never heard of Burn. I'll have a look when I get the chance. Thanks

As for the Big Lebowski, I know its not a cinematic masterpiece but I find it very funny, (except for the psychedelic dream sequence during which I go for a wazz).

2 people like this

@bobbles

Perhaps I never gave the The Big Lebowski a fair viewing....I saw it long after release and it had gained a considerable reputation so expectations were high....I (generally) like the Coen brothers and Jeff Bridges is a great actor and the film had an excellent supporting cast so not sure what went wrong apart from perhaps being a victim of those elevated expectations....sometimes these films benefit from subsequent viewings so I'll have another look..

2 people like this

I'll have to watch The Big Lebowski , the Coen brothers are genius , I love that film 'Ed Wood' , Martin Landau is superb as Bella Lugosi.. a film I really rate , but not many have heard of or like is 'Come See' ... its a grim film , and yer mrs won't like it :)

@zero

Let me know when you've seen it. I love the Coen brothers as well. I think 'O Brother, Where art Thou?' and 'Fargo' are both wonderful films.

'The Battle of Algiers' was recommended to me above  - I watched it and glad I did.

2 people like this

Anyone rate Crimewave/XYZ Murders? it`s a great bit of cartoon like fun, probably my favourite Coen 

not highly rated by most though lol

@ratdog

I've not heard of it before. I just looked the film up a note that the Coen brothers contribution to the film was as co-screen writers. (The director was Sam Raimi who also co-wrote the screenplay).

Having said that, I'll dig up a copy of it somewhere and give it a go. Thanks

1 person likes this