Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Eddie87

Autopot medium help

19 posts in this topic

First time posting here but been a back seat browser for a while 

Just started using a 25l autopot system with seedlings I have grown (3 x blue cheese 1 x money maker)

when ive planted them into the 25l pots I've used air domes in the bottom and covered them with clay pebbles is this too deep? I'm using 60/40 coco/clay but am a bit concerned when I switch the pots on in a week or so that they won't wick the water? The clay pebbles are only just covering the dome so only 2-2 1/2 inch thick 

thanks in advance for any help 

That should be fine pal. I do the same thing. I don't want my substrate even touching the nutrients at the bottom. Not sure if I have misunderstood the system since I have seen a few people talking about Autopots as a wicking system but I was under the impression that the idea is that the coco stays separated away from the water/nutrients & the roots grow down through the coco, through the clay balls into the water at the bottom. I.e. your coco is never in direct contact with the water/nutrients.

When I first got my autopot system I followed the instructions & just put about an inch of clay balls at the bottom of the pots. My coco was constantly saturated & my plants looked like they were in a constant state of being over watered. I now cover to just above the air dome as a minimum. Sometimes I go half way up the pot with clays balls. Maybe I misunderstood the system, maybe it is a wicking system but in my experience it sucks as wicking system & works amazingly well the way I use it. That's my 10 pence worth.

In short though what you have done is not a problem in anyway.

2 people like this

Legend that's all I needed to hear thanks 

just couldn't seem to find that info anywhere online and Iike you say autopot state 1 inch,

just happy now knowing I can switch them on and not have to worry too much :) what would you recommend time wise to switch the system on? Can't seem to upload pics 

Of course the Autopot is a wicking system, if it didn't wick the nutrient solution then the coco in your pots (however much you've chosen to put in there) would completely dry out and the roots would be seriously damaged. 

@kushedy I'm assuming the coco in your pots isn't completely dry? If not then the water is being wicked up to the coco, how else would it get any moisture?

@Eddie87 Just be careful not to put your plants into the system to early or you may run into problems, signs of overwatering and such like. To begin with you would want to manually water from the top until you're into you final pots and the plant is established and then turn the system on. 25 L are awfully big pots, I didn't even know autopot went up to pots that large, I thought they had only 8.5 L and 15 L but I guess not. Depends how big your grow space is I suppose but rooting out a 25 L will take many weeks of veg time, for reference....I have a 1.2 X 1.2 tent and a homemade dripper system and this run I'll have 6 plants in 7.5 L pots, plenty enough for coco with automated feeding in my opinion. If I was handwatering I'd probably use 11 L pots.

2 people like this

Thanks for all the help and advice guys much appreciated in hand watering and will be for the next week or 2

Will keep you updated :)

how how do I get a pic on here lol 

Edited by Eddie87
Spelling

@Eddie87 How big were your plants when you put them in the 25L pots and what were they in before that?

Can't help you with the pics I'm afraid, don't know myself :D

1 person likes this

59 minutes ago, grommit said:

@Eddie87 How big were your plants when you put them in the 25L pots and what were they in before that?

Can't help you with the pics I'm afraid, don't know myself :D

They were germinated in water for 48 hours then put on rockwool cubes for around a week to 10 days when roots were visible through the bottom of the cubes I planted them in plastic pint cups sides covered stop light hitting roots, when planted in the 25l pots they were around 3inch tall wit 3 sets of leaves, no system turned on yet 

Just now, Eddie87 said:

They were germinated in water for 48 hours then put on rockwool cubes for around a week to 10 days when roots were visible through the bottom of the cubes I planted them in plastic pint cups sides covered stop light hitting roots, when planted in the 25l pots they were around 3inch tall wit 3 sets of leaves, no system turned on yet 

Been in the 25l since Friday 

Personally I think you've put them into too large a pot too soon which might cause you some problems. A plant that big won't be able to drink the all the water in a 25 L pot for quite a long time so it will be sitting in damp and stagnant medium for a long period of time which is an open invitation to root rot and the plant may show over watering symptoms. It will also take months to roots out a pot that size coming from the size you were currently at. For comparison, I started mine of in coco jiffy plugs (as I have a load of them and no bagged coco until I get down the grow shop), once they root these out I will put them in either 1 L or 2 L pots and then from there probably into the final 7.5 L pots. If I were aiming for 11 L final pots, I would go plugs...1L....4L...11L.

You don't need to pot up as much in coco as you do in soil but you do still need to move up gradually imo. 

11 minutes ago, grommit said:

Personally I think you've put them into too large a pot too soon which might cause you some problems. A plant that big won't be able to drink the all the water in a 25 L pot for quite a long time so it will be sitting in damp and stagnant medium for a long period of time which is an open invitation to root rot and the plant may show over watering symptoms. It will also take months to roots out a pot that size coming from the size you were currently at. For comparison, I started mine of in coco jiffy plugs (as I have a load of them and no bagged coco until I get down the grow shop), once they root these out I will put them in either 1 L or 2 L pots and then from there probably into the final 7.5 L pots. If I were aiming for 11 L final pots, I would go plugs...1L....4L...11L.

You don't need to pot up as much in coco as you do in soil but you do still need to move up gradually imo. 

The res and aqua valves aren't set up yet in hand watering ATM, just thought going straight into the plants final resting place is a lot less stress on them than moving to several different pots Gradually getting bigger?

Maybe I'll just hand water through veg and switch them on when I've flipped to flowering? 

Have seen a few people using the 25l pots and just thought bigger is better surely so went with these lol 

I watered them in on Friday and haven't watered since and probably won't until this Friday giving the roots time to shoot out searching for water from lower down the pot

just a shame I can't get a pic up to show you sorry

Bigger isn't always better in this game, even when it comes to the buds themselves surprisingly. Bigger buds are more prone to bud root so smaller but more of them is preferable imo.

If I were you, I'd be inclined to give it a while before you water again and then when you do, rather than watering to run-off as is usual, I would just add a little water around where the plant is currently situated. That way it won't be sat in the wet for long periods of time, just be sure to go light with the feeding.

With pictures, I think you have to go into your profile, create an album, upload the pic to there and then you can insert it into a post but not 100% sure as I don't think I've uploaded any new pics since they introduced the new system. Pretty sure there will be a thread with instructions lying somewhere around the gaff :)

24 minutes ago, grommit said:

Bigger isn't always better in this game, even when it comes to the buds themselves surprisingly. Bigger buds are more prone to bud root so smaller but more of them is preferable imo.

If I were you, I'd be inclined to give it a while before you water again and then when you do, rather than watering to run-off as is usual, I would just add a little water around where the plant is currently situated. That way it won't be sat in the wet for long periods of time, just be sure to go light with the feeding.

With pictures, I think you have to go into your profile, create an album, upload the pic to there and then you can insert it into a post but not 100% sure as I don't think I've uploaded any new pics since they introduced the new system. Pretty sure there will be a thread with instructions lying somewhere around the gaff :)

Really appreciate all the help  grommit :) I'll just water with quarter strength nutes and like you said just give a litre around the base of the plant for a couple of weeks to help increase root growth 

can't wait to see the final result of this grow the baby's are shooting up without any stretch whatsoever thank good and are looking really healthy 

@grommet yes my coco does dry out after a while of being in the autpot trays. As long as your roots can reach the water your plants will be fine. In fact mine have been better than fine doing it that way for quite a while now.

I normally see roots coming out the bottom of my plant pots after 2-3 weeks proper veg. At that point I put my plants in the system.

For 25 lt pots it's going to take a bit longer for you. You only really have to worry about over saturation if your coco is sat in constant contact with the water, which yours shouldn't from what you have said.

Don't take our words for. Try it both ways, wick or non wick & see which you prefer.

I had 2 completely balls grows using this as a wicking system on my first autopot grows. 3rd grow I used 50% clay balls in each pot & had a trouble free grow with decent yields. I now do that all the time bar when Im running low on clay balls then it's just up to above the air dome.

At the end of the day it's what works for you.

1 person likes this