Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Golden Syrup

1000/750w DE Thread

26 posts in this topic

I thought it'd be cool to have a 1000w DE thread going, a bit like the 315w thread, where users can club together and share their experiences with and knowledge on the different units that are available, as I know a lot of members here are using units like the Gavita 1000w DE, Dimlux 1000w DE and the E-Pap 1000w DE and I have just recently got my hands on a Revolution 1000w DE unit. 

So for anybody that doesn't know, the DE stands for "double end" and refers to the type of 1000w lamp that fits in the DE units, unlike traditional e40 type fixtures the DE lamps actually have two coiled wires on both sides of the lamp connected to both ends of the arc tube, and the wires clip into two ports on the unit. 

What makes these units and types of lamps so special is they are super efficient especially in the case of 1000w DE HPS lamps and provide the best yield per watt ratio of any other type of HID lighting available at the moment putting out 2.1 umoles per watt, meaning that these units output a total PPF of 2100 umoles. 

To put that in perspective the next two best HID lighting options don't put out as much per watt, a 600w 400v HPS outputs 1150 PPF and 630w of CMH outputs 1202 PPF. Thats 1.88 and 1.91 umoles per watt respectively. The downside however is they run hotter than the sun, and require a good distance of around 2.5 - 3ft minimum from the canopy to avoid any sort of burning - they are designed for high rise glass houses, after all.

Until a few years ago the best lamp was the HPS Philips green power 1000w DE 2100 PPF lamp that unfortunately Philips stopped supplying to the hobby hydro market. In response to this companys like Gavita, Lumatek, Ushio, Solistek and Lights Interaction started bringing out their own HPS 1000w DE lamps. In my personal opinion there is probably not alot in them, with a <5% difference between the best and the worst, as they are all mostly styled around the Philips lamp - I think the real differences are in the units that drive them.

I have recently been reading that there has been DE 630w CMH lamps, DE 945w CMH lamps, 1000w MH DE lamps available for retrofit into existing DE units, and there is also a Quartz Metal Halide coming out that boasts 2050 umoles and full spectrum, I keen for those to come out. It's worth mentioning that these retrofit lamps will work in standard DE units, but to use them safely and get the best out of them its best to run them on low frequency square wave ballasts, of which at the time of writing only the Revolution deva offers this feature. 

So 1000w de users assemble, lets have a look at what you're using? Any of you gone balls to the wall and splashed out for a fancy controller? 

:yinyang: 

Edited by Golden Syrup
7 people like this

large.20170824_210111.jpglarge.20170824_210053.jpglarge.20170824_210017.jpg

This is the revolution deva unit that I got. It runs on a LFSW  ballasts and powers a ushio lamp, the entire unit operates at less than 100hz when running at full tilt and it's built to aerospace specification - some of the components are rated for 36 years continual use lol 

I am going to run this sweet thang between 4 x 315w 942 CMH lamps until the QMH lamps are a available, I am still debating with myself to save up and get the controller and relay too. 

Edited by Golden Syrup
8 people like this

it all got interested when you said double end ..not what i thought it was but i carried on reading and dude ..why do you not get this published ?

3 people like this

I really like my double ended Gavita lights. I just hate the way the have the ballast pointing upwards. It takes up a good bit of space. A friend rotated his to be horizontal, much better. That Revolution light looks nice and compact.

5 people like this

@KingBlueRizla that was my big concern at first with the gavita units! I have used the 600w units in the past and they could've done with the extra height. 

The dimlux, epap and revolution have all got those slim designs now. I'll get some pictures of them :)

@vince noir rock n roll star cheers dude but I'm just a grower lol

Edited by Golden Syrup
3 people like this

@Golden Syrup

"I am going to run this sweet thang between 4 x 315w 942 CMH lamps until the QMH lamps are a available, I am still debating with myself to save up and get the controller and relay too." 

I was going to ask what your configuration would be with it. I'm keen to see how you get on with the Revolution. :yep:

As you know, I run 2 x Gavita 1000w e-series lights + EL1 controller. I absolutely love them - although one does need at least 230cm height to get the most out of it - I only have 200cm at the moment, but my next upgrade is a new tent***. Often I am running at 750w, which isn't great re efficiency. As for the controller - just superb. Don't think I could move away from not being able to program sunrise/sunset, auto-dim and shut off temps.   

*** Gavita want nearly £600 quid for one of their bespoke tents. Fuck that. I reckon a £250  235cm tall tent will be fine even when considering the special footprint they recommend. I'd rather spend the money saved on the tent to either (a) save up to sell the Gavita's and replace with X (CMH, Revolution, etc.), or (b) get CMH into my other spaces (veg and smaller test flower space). Thoughts?

2 people like this

@Lord Steppington

A friend of mine had the same probs as you with his 1000w'ers so he made a frame out of scaffolding planks stood on their edge, cut the bottom out of his tent and stood and fastened the tent on the frame. It worked a treat as those boards are quite wide

Sorry for the hijack @Golden Syrup

Owd

5 people like this

Dimlux Expert Series 1000w 400v de.

large.Dimlux.JPG.19048e1a4ab5510ba2adabb

large.IMG_20170514_170553.jpg.859b82a984

These are without a doubt the best light units I have owned. I personally prefer them to the gavitas myself not only for the already mentioned thinner design, but because they are easier to mount, have much better control features and the light spread from the Dimlux is unmatched by anything else I have used.

You can clearly see the reflector works just as it should, directing the light in an equal straight line over the canopy:

large.IMG_20170514_171715_hdr.jpg.a19b94

The ability to switch off the unit at the turn of a knob is also a feature I really like. No switching off the entire light setup to change a bulb or wipe them over.

Build quality is as good as gets IMO, I am SUPER impressed with the way they handle their heat. The ballast stays very cool for a 1000w ballast. And the fact you can hook an air system up is another bonus.

As it stands I'm 3 weeks into bloom with my first grow using these and I wouldn't trade them for any other light unit I know of atm. I am that impressed with them I am actually considering 4 of their 315w units, knowing full well I could get similar results from other 315w units for half the price, and its because they are dimlux.

6 people like this

great idea for a thread!

I have the Lumatek 1000W DE Unit and bought it pretty much blind, so glad to see there is a spot where we can see real world users and feedback.

Im only only my first crop, so other than agreeing that they are actually "hotter than the sun" i can't add so much.

The external ballast itself is standard Lumatek fare... it doesnt have a socket to connect the lamp though. Their is a trailing lead with bare wires that need connected to the shade itself, no more difficult than wiring a plug, but if that is a concern, or you move your lights on a regular basis, that may be an issue.

The reflector is very thin and flimsy... in practice it doesnt matter as it just hangs there, lights spread is prob the most important factor for a shade and it seems to do the job.

I have just relocated into a loft space and need to make better intake and exhaust eve "manifolds" to replace the cardboard box jobbies i cobbled up to get going, that will help with the temps the lamp produces.... i would say that was the thing i would understand most when making the choice whether to go for a 1000W 400V DE before getting down to which actual unit is best. If you are already limited getting cooler air in, maybe another option is better... I have a high power 10" into a 12" filter as exhaust, a low power 10" in.

e2a that dimlux unit looks sexy!

Edited by Chairman O The Bored
4 people like this

Just an add on..

The control on the Dimlux, for anyone that was thinking about it...

large.DSC_0418.JPG.4d271d32de03e7298c8ae

Its also the first unit I have owned that you can genuinely see the difference between the 1000w and the 600w without really trying. I've not turned it up to 1200w yet though.. Bit like pushing the nitrous button when your already doing 190mph... 

9 people like this

@Owderb- haha brilliant! Although way above my DIY skills :D

1 person likes this

I much prefer the Dimlux over the gavitas for all the points @GreenVision mentioned

I like how you can mount the dimlux's at a spacing of your choice, really handy when hanging from a ceiling and being limited to hanging from the joists. Also the extra 15cm of height really does make a difference.

I also have the dimlux maxi controller which is a priceless bit of kit and has many functions. Can connect extraction fans, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, heaters and a plant temperature camera to it and it will create a perfect environment for you. It has definitely come in handy auto-dimming itself these last few days of really hot weather.

Well i thought id jump in myself... 

I have got 2 x Gavita 1000W DE E series with the EL2 master controller in my secret jardin intense INT120 with height extension kit (the jardin tent cost a fortune and i prefer the green qube)

Anyway brilliant bit of kit and the controller is awesome as they say, never had issues with using then in the high greenqube tents or the jardin but you defo would in a 2m high tent if you grow large plants.

Now i have had the e series gavitas just over a year and they replaced my non e series gavitas which were brilliant too.

I have just got myself 2 x revolution deva 1000w units with the controller and i must say my gavita controller is defo better quality and much smaller than the deva one, hell its made of metal and has some weight to it and the deva one is plastic and feels cheap.

I do however prefer the gavita menus on the EL2 as thats what im used to i suppose.

The actual lighting units are definitely as good quality wise as the gavitas and so they should for the price. 

I mainly got the deva because of the square wave technology, lower profile, and the new upcoming Quartz Metal Halide bulbs to give me best of both worlds (as gavita do no recommend running any metal halide bulbs on their ballasts).

Lets just hope my EC Vectors are up to the job at cooling :)

3 people like this

6 hours ago, Lord Steppington said:

I was going to ask what your configuration would be with it. I'm keen to see how you get on with the Revolution

Well, I am thinking a 3m x 1.5m x 2.2m greenqube and hang the revo in the middle with 2 LECs at either side by the tent walls. I imagine that I will only run it like this for a short while though, I want to see for myself what using DE and CMH together is like as I imagine its a bit different to the 2 x 600w and 1 x 315w I was using before going all CMH, especially as the wattage will be almost 1:1 CMH:HPS

6 hours ago, Lord Steppington said:

*** Gavita want nearly £600 quid for one of their bespoke tents. Fuck that. I reckon a £250  235cm tall tent will be fine even when considering the special footprint they recommend. I'd rather spend the money saved on the tent to either (a) save up to sell the Gavita's and replace with X (CMH, Revolution, etc.), or (b) get CMH into my other spaces (veg and smaller test flower space). Thoughts?

Tough one really as I would want to do A and B lol  I am biased as I am loving the full spectrum at the minute, everything else aside I am jumping on the revos so I can run the QMH lamps as technically they are better than the CMH, offering 2.05 umoles of full spectrum per watt, compared to 1.9. As for the tents fuck paying big money to mammoth for Gavita tents, I like the green qubes so again a little biased in that respect, but they are 15cm less than those tall ones you mentioned. 

6 hours ago, Owderb said:

Sorry for the hijack @Golden Syrup

I don't see it as a hijack! It's all about sharing DE experiences and stuff :v: 

5 hours ago, Chairman O The Bored said:

I have the Lumatek 1000W DE Unit and bought it pretty much blind, so glad to see there is a spot where we can see real world users and feedback.

Great to see someone actually using one of these, you will have to come and let us know how you got on, as they aren't tested very much online either.

2 hours ago, BoomTing said:

I mainly got the deva because of the square wave technology, lower profile, and the new upcoming Quartz Metal Halide bulbs to give me best of both worlds (as gavita do no recommend running any metal halide bulbs on their ballasts).

Yep, pretty much exactly the same reasons that I have got one and plan on getting another. I think the heat dissipation is a little better than other units too due to way theres the gap around the reflector. Technically a much better unit over all I think, and they do boast a lot about the high quality of building standards so maybe I've sucked into the hype a little bit. But on paper they are better, there are tests against Gavita lights online that show the Revolution outperform the Gavita.

2 hours ago, BoomTing said:

I have just got myself 2 x revolution deva 1000w units with the controller and i must say my gavita controller is defo better quality and much smaller than the deva one, hell its made of metal and has some weight to it and the deva one is plastic and feels cheap.

Is the functionality better on the Deva controller over the Gavita controller though? I haven't got any experience with any of them but I am liking the look of them. 

@GreenVision Thanks for sharing dude the Dimlux looks proper sexy, I was looking at the dimlux before I found out about the Revo lights because the dimlux controller is stunning and I'd love a full dimlux CMH set up I'll be well jealous if you get on that one lol 

Edited by Golden Syrup
4 people like this

3 hours ago, Golden Syrup said:

Is the functionality better on the Deva controller over the Gavita controller though? I haven't got any experience with any of them but I am liking the look of them. 

No id say the gavita controller is the better one tbh, functionality, form and build quality.

The deva unit just feels like a much cheaper version. 

I was tempted to try the deva lights on my gavita controller but dont want it to break anything lol 

Edited by BoomTing