Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bobbles

Bread making in UK

97 posts in this topic

Glad I found this thread, rather than starting a new one :) ... 

Has anyone here tried the Sainsburys "Multiseeded loaf" from their bakery ? First off, having trawled every supermarket and "bakery" for miles around I can tell you that it's unique to Sainsburys.

Secondly, I wondered what flour they use (or make up) ? The packaging says "This bread is made using white flour, rye flour, oats and wheat bran with sunflower, pumpkin, linseed sesame and poppy seeds"

It's crusty (when they get it right) and covered in seeds, which I believe means it's not really one for a breadmaking machine ????

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@JimmyPage.....My breadmaker has an indicating beep after the first kneading that tells you when it's ok to add seeds or fruit....stops.the machine smashing the seeds up. If you want seeds on the top, I'd quickly open it before the final bake cycle starts and sprinkle them on, should be fine, can't see why not. :yep:

All those ingredients should be easily available, so there's no reason why you couldn't try and replicate it, just a case of ingredient ratios.

While I'm here, does anyone know if Garlic affects yeast? I've had two loaves not rise and I've put garlic granules in both of them. As far as I'm aware they don't have added salt. :unsure:

Edited by Captain Bonglington
1 person likes this

my wife is coeliac I tried making bread for her twice and failed, i'm ok eating bread but I don't like it fresh has never done me no harm.

Just completed my every Friday Wessex Mill 6 seed Granary cob. House smells delish.

I can never get the bloody bread maker to work properly......smells great....tastes crap and is hard as f@ck

Gave it to the neighbour......they bring me great loafs back now.....not sure what she does thats different to me but it works.

Ill stick to growing to the green.....Ill let her make the bread lol lol lol if I have to buy it we are lucky that we have a bespoke bakery in the next town that does old school organic sour dough bread.

2 people like this

40 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

I can never get the bloody bread maker to work properly......smells great....tastes crap and is hard as f@ck

Gave it to the neighbour......they bring me great loafs back now.....not sure what she does thats different to me but it works.

Ill stick to growing to the green.....Ill let her make the bread lol lol lol if I have to buy it we are lucky that we have a bespoke bakery in the next town that does old school organic sour dough bread.

Nowt better than getting your hands sticky. Piece of piss to make it old skool style. Put on some tunes and get kneading. Never understood a Bread maker. It takes up half the kitchen for a loaf to last the weekend. No wonder BM's are always seen in Charity shops

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, zen-ken said:

old school organic sour dough bread.

:eat:     Sourdough bread's bloody lovely, the local bakery does pots of organic sourdough and pots of another live yeast culture for one pound fifty each, sounded pretty reasonable to me. :)  

I think you just feed them flour and water to keep them alive? :unsure:   Should really have a bash at making bread with live yeast and the oven, I didn't really do that well with the powdered stuff and breadmaker, was so heavy even the birds left it alone. lol  

Edited by Saddam
1 person likes this